Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with car decelerating issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with car decelerating issue

Hey guys, recently got my car running after sitting for awhile and I’ve come across an issue among the many other things I need to fix but this ones seems the most problematic. Basically when I get into 4th and 5th gear, (around 3500-4K rpms) my car just decelerates. That’s the best way I can describe it. It’s like when your driving and you just take your foot off the peddle and the car slowly drops in speed and RPMs, exactly like that. It’s not like going into neutral where your RPMs just drop immediately. For some reason, when I am slower with my gear changing and shift around lower RPMs it doesn’t happen. Also, sometimes it just doesn’t happen at all. I’m at a loss, could it be a throttle cable? I don’t think it’s a timing issue.

Any help on how to diagnose this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Help with car decelerating issue

Won't rev over 3000 is a classic symptom of having the cam timing wrong. Though it would work the same every time in that case.

Are any codes set in the ECU?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Won't rev over 3000 is a classic symptom of having the cam timing wrong. Though it would work the same every time in that case.

Are any codes set in the ECU?

I can check it again, however I’m certain that I timed the car properly when I retightened my timing belt a few months ago and I got the timing right on. It can go over 3k it just picks and chooses when it starts acting weird like this. I haven’t gotten it down to a science yet, but it seems to catch me off guard when I’m making my way back from town. Like it’s more prone to doing it when it’s warmed up maybe. No codes in the ecu. The only code that would come up is for the Iacv awhile back but I think it went away when I cleaned it and reconnected it. Even so, before I even messed with that it was still giving me these issues.

If it helps at all my car seems to really struggle uphill and acceleration seems like it could be better but it’s hard to tell. My mpg lately seems to have gone out the window as well.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, my engine idle seems to be always kind of iffy, but I’m having trouble figuring out if that’s a vacuum related issue or me not timing the vehicle correctly. If I’ve been driving my car with crappy timing this whole time it makes me nervous thinking about how much damage I’ve done. This really sucks. When I get some time I’ll try to show some pictures of where my timing marks are and how my ignition timing looks.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your throttle body. Mine was not torqued down and it acted like this.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Krauthammer
Check your throttle body. Mine was not torqued down and it acted like this.
Any way I’d be able to check if it wasn’t torqued down all the way? I when I put it on I changed the gasket and tightened it down to spec the sprayed carb cleaner around it to check for leaks. I can double check though.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by foolsforever
Any way I’d be able to check if it wasn’t torqued down all the way? I when I put it on I changed the gasket and tightened it down to spec the sprayed carb cleaner around it to check for leaks. I can double check though.
torque wrench. go in an X pattern