Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP! B16A Automatic Cluster to Manual and Need to find the computer to match engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! B16A Automatic Cluster to Manual and Need to find the computer to match engine.

So i just bought a 96 honda civic ex with a b16a engine swap. it wont pass emissions which where i live isnt an issue but i dont wanna have it blow up cause im not too cheap to fix it. And the last owner changed out the stock cluster to a carbon fiber automatic cluster so now the clutch doesnt need to be in to start the engine. Any suggestions on where to start? I like the car alot and wanna keep it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: HELP! B16A Automatic Cluster to Manual and Need to find the computer to match eng

Originally Posted by evestatic224
So i just bought a 96 honda civic ex with a b16a engine swap. it wont pass emissions which where i live isnt an issue but i dont wanna have it blow up cause im not too cheap to fix it.
That tells us pretty much nothing, what exactly is your question here? Why wont your car pass emissions? We need information to help you out.

And the last owner changed out the stock cluster to a carbon fiber automatic cluster so now the clutch doesnt need to be in to start the engine.
An automatic cluster has no bearing on starting circuit, car was most likely originally an automatic that someone converted to 5 speed. Starting circuit wiring is often a hack job.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! B16A Automatic Cluster to Manual and Need to find the computer to match eng

I wanna change the cluster and the computer back to stock or to a manual b16a cluster so it doesnt have the starting issue. im also wondering if the reason its not passin emissions is the wrong computer or what. it doesnt run bad but i dont want it to just blow.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get another cluster from a 96-2000 civic thats a manual... but i can tell you now the cluster is not whats making you not have to hold the clutch down while starting the car. They bipassed that with the starter. Get a chipped p28 w/ b16 base map. Find one on ebay
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Unless you re - do their wiring from a possible auto to manu swap, the clutch will never need to be pressed when starting. Like what was said above
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not the cluster that makes it start with out the clutch its the sensors in the clutch pedal. he either jumped them or they are stuck...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna change the cluster and the computer back to stock or to a manual b16a cluster so it doesnt have the starting issue. im also wondering if the reason its not passin emissions is the wrong computer or what. it doesnt run bad but i dont want it to just blow.
Your talking like a mumbling 3 year old sir. You say emissions is not a problem around you, but you say it doesn't pass emissions. How do you know?
Your not really telling us anything to help you.
So far I've got this:
1. Emissions is no problem.
2. "it won't pass emissions"
3. I want a manual cluster to fix my clutch safety switch.

As stated, the cluster isn't the issue. Your starting circuit has been re-wired (And unfortunatly 99% of the time wrong). Only way to fix is to re-do the wiring.

Oh, and are you even reading what you type? -Later, BR
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The cluster has NOTHING to do with the car starting!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda's have a clutch safety switch behind the pedal, that's most likely your problem

As far as clusters go, swap a 5 speed model in, 5 min job, plug and play, that it!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cluster has nothing to do with starting issues. And there is no original B16A cluster. there is an Si cluster, but those are expensive. If the car was converted to 5spd then the Automatic cluster has to be the original one. Because nobody is going to change the cluster to an automatic one from a manual one. Especially if the car is an EX already. My car also has an automatic cluster because I converted it. And I don't need to press my clutch to start the car because well the automatic car doesn't have the wiring for the clutch pedal switch and I didn't feel like wiring it myself. Since I'm the only one who drives the car there is no issues because I always keep it in neutral.

You need to figure out why its not passing emissions. Do you know what year b16 it is? Do you have any CEL's? What computer are you running (take it out of the kick panel and read the code on it for us).
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all you have to change is the gas/temp gauge not the whole cluster.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah sorry for the bad explanation. I was working and trying to figure out how to get some answers at the same time. All i really meant is the emissions im not too worried about i just wanna make sure that its not something bigger causing it. I dont know alot about these engines but im trying to learn. I dont think this is the stock cluster in it but either way i dont want it in there. Any advice or help would be great
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Easier to swap whole cluster. Four screws, two (or four) plugs. Bing- done. -Later, BR
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All i really meant is the emissions im not too worried about i just wanna make sure that its not something bigger causing it.
Your still not explaining your problem sir. -Later, BR
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine says its a b16a and the number below that is 5801571. If that helps any. And the kick panel code is 37820-P2T-003 and 935-100185
Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its not passing emissions is that going to cause me problems later on? I had a friend tell me i need to put cables or something in it.. like OBD1 or OBD2
Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well B16A is a JDM motor. But it doesnt tell us **** about the year. What does the distributor plug look like? And what about the wire harness plugs?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its not passing emissions is that going to cause me problems later on? I had a friend tell me i need to put cables or something in it.. like OBD1 or OBD2
Your not explaining "why" at all.
Let me just ask the questions.
1. Is the check engine on?
2. Are you having issues with the engine itself?
3. Just because "it won't pass emissions" doesn't mean its going to blow up. Simply running no cat you won't pass emissions. But It wouldn't hurt anything, but peoples ears, maybe. -Later, BR
Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change that cluster. ugly as f@ck
Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now i understand what you meant. No the check engine lights not on. The engine runs fine too so they might have pulled the cat out. Yeah its on its way out.. I dont get why they changed alot of the cluster but still left it as an auto. Thanks for the help BrandonR.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now i understand what you meant. No the check engine lights not on. The engine runs fine too so they might have pulled the cat out. Yeah its on its way out.. I dont get why they changed alot of the cluster but still left it as an auto. Thanks for the help BrandonR.
Not having a cat will not make an engine run better just to clarify. Your check engine light not being on is a good thing, on the assumption it does work. Does it come on with the ignition turned on right before starting it? If so, good. They changed the cluster for looks. It's not that bad, and leaving it the cluster an auto isn't a BAD thing. Thats more or less an opinion thing. Don't listen to all these "That cluster is ugly as **** blah blah. People." If you like it, then just leave it. Build (If your planning it) a car to your standards. Not everyone else's.

Oh and your welcome for the help- anytime friend. -Later, BR
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you need to do is hit up ebay and type in... p28 ecu half the sellers mod the ecu chip it and everything for a good price. if you want a cluster then get one from ebay also and sell your old one.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonR
Not having a cat will not make an engine run better just to clarify.
This is simply untrue, in fact, many Honda's need the proper back pressure to run properly
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
This is simply untrue, in fact, many Honda's need the proper back pressure to run properly
Your right Deetz, thats why I said
Originally Posted by BrandonR
Not having a cat will not make an engine run better just to clarify.
Thats what my orignial post stated.

What I meant is taking the CAT out will not make an engine run better. On some highly modified setup, possibly. But not stock. -Later, BR