Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it possible to switch the gear indicator on an AT cluster to a manual cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to switch the gear indicator on an AT cluster to a manual cluster?

Car: 99 EK manual

My cluster stopped working and Ive been looking for a replacement one but i have a manual cluster and all the cheap ones ive found are automatic. My question is could I swap the gear indicator from the automatic cluster with the manual gas/temp and if so how simple is it?

-Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to switch the gear indicator on an AT cluster to a manual cluster?

Anyone?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to switch the gear indicator on an AT cluster to a manual cluster?

Doubt it. Shouldnt really bother u i mean it wouldnt me unless i was ocd
Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

You haven't stated what part of your cluster stopped working. If it is "all of it" then you probably have a bigger problem that a replacement cluster won't resolve.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talkin anout just getting an auto cluster and swaping the plastic thats behind the needles. if so that is posible to swap one that is from ur manuel cluster that doesnt have the gear indicator. i just recently swapped mine in my hatch. the only bad thing is once u take the needles off there a pain to get in the correct spot
before u go tearing it apart with the engine cool click ur key on and see where the guages set at so u can put them in the original possision
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh god. The needles are a pain in the *** to come off.

I broke mine. So I had to get a new one. Even the speedo so i couldn't switch the miles on it. All I know is its 18K miles ahead lol.

But yeah. For the automatic lights, they are easy. Just take them out by pulling the tabs and wola. lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1 plus for geting an auto cluster is when i ditch the gear indicator u get 7 bulbs by taking apart the indicator
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you read on, what's wrong with your cluster? You sure it's not a wiring/sensor problem?
is it really an EK?... Good luck finding a new Civic Type R cluster for under $300.
I'm sure it's probably a DX/LX/EX instead, huh? well if so:

Automatic cluster's drop right into manual Civics and work, you just have to bear seeing the Automatic-Gear tree unless you want to cover it with electrical tape (worked for me but it looked ugly). Basically automatics are like manual clusters with the automatic gear face nothing different.
I have an Automatic 98 CRV cluster in my Manual 99 Civic DX.

--If your speedometer is working fine still:
If you want to retain your odometer reading (mileage), get a hold of a 96-00 LX/EX/HX cluster, all you can do is swap out the speedometer by unscrewing 4 screws and drop it into the automatic cluster. Click on my 1998 CRV build in my signature to see what I mean, I ended up doing that for my CRV because my CRV's speedometer needle broke, looks funky to have a blue speedo and orange tach/fuel&temp but it's fine.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ i want to do exactly what your speaking about, but with the gas/temp gauge. i want to replace the manual cluster gas/temp from the broken cluster (manual) and install it into the working cluster (automatic). I would like to know soon because the cluster i found is going for cheap and is only 8k miles off from my actual miles. and yes, it would bother me having those automatic gear on the cluster with tape or not.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't get it. If his speedo is toast, why has nobody told the OP that he can just swap the speedo out of the automatic's cluster into his manual one and call it a day? It will take him about 20 minutes, and still I am accounting for the off chance that he has only one arm. No pissing around with swapping needles or other bullshit. No you don't retain the mileage but there are ways to fix that too (the 'toothpick' trick - figure it out for yourself).
Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@OP i'm not sure about that, but you can try it out, either way you got to make sure that wiring/sensors aren't the problem and it's only the cluster.

Originally Posted by deschlong
I don't get it. If his speedo is toast, why has nobody told the OP that he can just swap the speedo out of the automatic's cluster into his manual one and call it a day? It will take him about 20 minutes, and still I am accounting for the off chance that he has only one arm. No pissing around with swapping needles or other bullshit. No you don't retain the mileage but there are ways to fix that too (the 'toothpick' trick - figure it out for yourself).

I guess I didn't mention that....
Name:  t0Rm2.gif
Views: 51
Size:  1.99 MB
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

Replace one from a '96-01 CRV (manual) and let it be. It has amber coloring to match the rest of interior lighting.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Replace one from a '96-01 CRV (manual) and let it be. It has amber coloring to match the rest of interior lighting.
Well here's my CRV cluster in my Civic not too sure about it matching the rest .
Name:  TivTI.png
Views: 42
Size:  351.7 KBName:  kAlS8.png
Views: 43
Size:  491.7 KB
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Just having those gears on the cluster would annoy me

Its a simple question, i appreciate the concerns with the speedo and the needles and whatnot, but all i want to know is if i can switch the gas/temp gauge from a manual cluster with one from an automatic cluster, thats all.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you can swap them...

They are the same one is just missing the shift lights. the plug that plugs into that part goes with the peice.

Take it out, and swap it. No need to screw with the needles.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did it on my 90 lx sedan