Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

head swap tomorrow attempt #2.........and

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head swap tomorrow attempt #2.........and

I finally found some time on my hands to do the great vtec mini-me head swap. i have been doing allot research about it and posting on boards (sorry for asking too many questions, but every reply helped allot). I own a 93 del sol s with a d15b7 motor and swapping in the d16y8 head.
-now, heres a list of what parts i have:

y8 head
head gasket
spark plugs
AEM Adjustable cam gear
p28 sohc vtec ecu
vx timing belt
complete d16z6 intake manifold
intake and exhaust gaskets
d15b7 distributor
oil/filter and coolant
speaker wires for wiring the vtec solenoid and vtec oil pressure sensor valve
all the tools in the world

-Now is there anything that i left out that i need? Anything i should know before i attempt to do the 1000 horsepower mini-me swap?

OK. we, my friend and i, tried to do this 2 weeks ago and ran into a couple of problems during the swap. first one was the upper left corner head bolt that didn't go down all the way, about either a inch or a centimeter. but, that wasn't serious 'cause i can get a shorter one the next day and have my friend torque down it in a quickness. but thang is, i wont be having vtec tomorrow because underneath curtain number two was the second problem. it consist of bringing the wrong timing belt which i left the vx one at home and took the d16 one by mistake, ima about an hour away from home, and gotta be at work at 11:30 pm which is about 5 minutes from his house. yah, i know i f’ed up big, but damnit i wished we did this earlier. the time is around 9 o'clock pm and the parts store at the honda dealer is closed and kragen auto parts that claims to have every auto part didn't have in stock but can order it and receive it overnight and i can pick it up tomorrow at 8:00 am when they open. and man thats where you got to admit that 'vtec is gunna have to wait'. times running out and we were going to hope and take a chance to look through my friends assorted belts box and find a lucky fittin belt. hah ha, "nooooooo!", going crazy and cursing, cursing, cussed a lil bit, and cursing some more, complaining that it was almost done, its late, and wasted our time playing with legos. well another minor problem occurred 5 minutes later where his bright *** light bulb died on us and doesn’t the accept same thread and socket like the one in your lamp, so no replacement. so we're standing outside (forget to mention this was outside and my friends garage had a crx on stands no wheels and a prelude with no engine in it) looking at the oversized vx timing belt and finally realizing that saying "sh*t!" every minute wont help and the time is 10:00 pm. "damnit" i replied..... "well then lets get to work and put everythang back," said my friend. So we went in the house and got one of those fat *** vase lamps and the bulb on top, you know what im talking about, and used that. it sucked tired ***, especially all those screws & nuts on the ground was a bitch. but we got used to it. “im getting atleast something out of this crap!” since we had the d16z6 intake manifold in no use, we just slapped it on the d15 and the cam gear as well. great, done at 11:10 pm, wow that was record breaking time, we didn't even talk, we were tired and hungry and the only thing that came from our mouths' was "ten" "twelve" "f*ck!" and "sh*t!" well he got something out of this work hell at least, i gave him my d15 intake manifold for his crx and some taco bell. cleaned up the area and changed my clothes and gunned it down (i got a burned clutch too, anyone want to sell me a EX/Si 5 speed tranny?) to work and i was late by 5 minutes, 11:35 pm, but my boss didn't trip so that’s cool. and now i gotta wake up and hope my friend answers his phone at 10:00 am, so we can do it with no bullsh*t. ha ha, thats life, what time is it? 4:00 am? well gotta go to sleep and wake up in 6 hours. damn sorry for typing so much, im just a little buzzed and typing my *** off. "having the taste of beer after work is the best, but i got greedy and pound it" .yah. that was my night of hell and my conclusion on show and tell. but the story is to be continued.... ima update yawl next time im a little drunk. peace...........
……….and don't forget what i typed before the long story.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: head swap tomorrow attempt #2.........and (alphaquake)

damn u must be ******* frustrated...that sorta thing happens to me all the time...but the garage i work in is only about 5 blocks away at my in-law's house. i live in an apartment so manager gets mad when i get oil and **** all over the floor. well anyways good luck dawg