Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Head Gasket Question(Intake Manifold Related)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Question(Intake Manifold Related)

I'm replacing the head gasket on my d16y8 right now, which would you guys recommend, remove the cylinder head with the intake manifold on or off? Just trying to see which would be easier.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head Gasket Question(Intake Manifold Related)

Originally Posted by 96 EX
I'm replacing the head gasket on my d16y8 right now, which would you guys recommend, remove the cylinder head with the intake manifold on or off? Just trying to see which would be easier.
Sometimes it can be a bitch to get to the lower nuts to remove the intake manifold. This is typically why people will remove the head with the manifold on. It also prevents you from needing to replace the gasket if it gets ****ed up when pulling the IM. Pulling the head off with the manifold attached can be akward, but a second person helping remove it can rectify this.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jackal6042
Sometimes it can be a bitch to get to the lower nuts to remove the intake manifold. This is typically why people will remove the head with the manifold on. It also prevents you from needing to replace the gasket if it gets ****ed up when pulling the IM. Pulling the head off with the manifold attached can be akward, but a second person helping remove it can rectify this.
Sounds good, I'm soloing it til 2 o'clock when my buddy gets off work. Obviously I dont want to wait for him as I've got everything else ready to go (Belts off, header off, hoses unplugged and coolant drained, Manifold bracket off back of block ect.). Other than the obvious hoses and wires on the intake manifold, are there any "hidden" ones on the back?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 AM

If your replacing head gasket, i would also recommend replacing valve seals while you have the head off. It will be an easy job, and mebbe cost you only 40-50$. As for hidden hoses, theres none that i can remember from when i did my head gasket a month ago. Are you taking tbelt off? or just sliding it off the cam gear?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thi3v3z
If your replacing head gasket, i would also recommend replacing valve seals while you have the head off. It will be an easy job, and mebbe cost you only 40-50$. As for hidden hoses, theres none that i can remember from when i did my head gasket a month ago. Are you taking tbelt off? or just sliding it off the cam gear?
I've taken the t-belt off along with the alt. and PS. I was following what the Helms manual said plus my timing wasn't right to begin with so time to start over. Just taking a break for breakfest then back at it. As for the valve seals, what tools are needed and can I get it at autozone/advanced/name here store?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM

I bought my valve seals at Advance Auto for like 38 bux. They were FELPRO, so i figured they were decent. If you have the head out of the car, you should be able to rent a valve spring compressor from advance auto for just a deposit and then they refund it when you return it. So basically all you need is a set of pliers to pull the seals off and the compressor to get at the seals. Takes mebbe 30 min.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 AM

O if u feel like spending the money tho, i bought this tool made by LISLE, that is a valve keeper removal tool. It works excellent for installing and removing valve keepers. It costs like 50 bux. Prolly not worth it if you are just working on this car, but the tool is universal if you ever work on other cars.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

O if u feel like spending the money tho, i bought this tool made by LISLE, that is a valve keeper removal tool. It works excellent for installing and removing valve keepers. It costs like 50 bux. Prolly not worth it if you are just working on this car, but the tool is universal if you ever work on other cars.
I'll keep this in mind as I'm heading outside now to remove the head with the intake manifold attached. I'll keep this updated throughout the day an if I have anymore questions. Thanks for the replies this far.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the head off with the intake manifold attached. Cleaned everything up between the head and block as well as picked up new gaskets, oil+filer, anti-freeze. I also went to Honda to order some new head bolts and they didn't have any in stock. WTF? Its not like I'm driving a Type-R around or anything. Oh well they said they would be in tomorrow for me to pick up so its pretty much a waiting game now. I'll update tomorrow once I get my bolts an get this thing put back together.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

If your driving a d16y8, unless you broke or messed up the threads, you dont need to replace the head bolts. Hondas manual says you can reuse them. I put the same old on ones and mine is running great. Just clean up the threads and you good to go, dont waste money
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your driving a d16y8, unless you broke or messed up the threads, you dont need to replace the head bolts. Hondas manual says you can reuse them. I put the same old on ones and mine is running great. Just clean up the threads and you good to go, dont waste money

I dont know where so many people got the misconception that head bolts need to be replaced. As stated above, if they aren't messed up then no need to replace them. Clean the threads and oil the threads before installing them.