Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car isn't running right

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car isn't running right

I wonder if anyone would know what would be causing my car to sputter really badly and die when you push the throttle. It sounds like its not running on all cylinders and the spark plugs are new along with the wires. I also checked all of my MSD and removed it from the equation and still the same results. Its a 99 civic SI and I only have a code for the main O2 sensor being bad. Thanks I would apreciate any ideas.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car isn't running right

yo sup man i have 96 civic si and its like its losing power/fuel or spark and it almost boggs out to a point where the car wants to shut off, but if i hit it it evens out like something was blocking it and hitting it pushes past it, i dunno wtf is going on, i had a cell code for main o2 sensor too but i erased it, i have MSD too , how do i remove it from the distributor and turn it back oem?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 PM

i would check your mechanical timing maybe your timing belt jumped
Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I am going to check the timing tomorrow cause it was acting like it was missing every once in a while and like it was running like **** and then the other day I started it and it ran like crap so I don't know when you push the throttle it just dies.

The other question on how to remove the msd you need the internal coil and need to wire it back up and put the stock cap back on it that should work. Its more or less something that you would need to be shown or I am just really bad at explaining things.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so where is the internal coil??? do i need to order a new one? whats the part number, how do get at the coil. wtf u could atleast try and explain step by step. u know ive been looking for days on how to find out how to do it, it isnt hard to explain things.

STEP ONE:take off the cap
step 2: take off the rotor
step 3: WHAT DID U DO ?
step 4 WHAT NOW?
step 5 UNHOOK THE WIRE TO THE COIL
step 6 UNHOOK THER MSD CAN FROM CHASIS
step 7 THROW IT AWAY
step 8 WIRE BACK NEW COIL
step 9 PUT NEW ROTOR
step 10 PUT OEM CAP
STEP 11 DONE

i just told mywself what to do and i have no clue on what im doing or talkingabout.

atleast try and ****ing help me instead of saying OH I DONT KNOW DUHHHHHH u ask for help but wont give an effort to give any what the **** man.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

Last edited by Integra4lyfe069; 06-20-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to chill out or no one is going to help you at all.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bluevic99
Yeah I am going to check the timing tomorrow cause it was acting like it was missing every once in a while and like it was running like **** and then the other day I started it and it ran like crap so I don't know when you push the throttle it just dies.

Have you inspected the distributor cap and rotor?
Have checked the ignition timing with a timing gun when the service connector is jumped?
Have you recently pulled CEL codes from the ECU? A new code in addition to the O2 sensor code may now be retrieved.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I found out that the car only does this when it rains even if it is sitting still. It don't know what is wrong. It didn't rain today and i went out and it runs just fine. I can't figure this out. I checked for codes and there was IAC and the O2 sensor. I just need to know what is going on this is getting rediculous.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, check the cap, rotor, and ignition timing.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a cold air intake. If so check and make sure that the filter is on it. You may be sucking water into the intake. If not it could also be the tps. I haven't ever heard of it being related to the weather though. GL with it.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cap and rotor are brand new just put them on like a month ago. what would cause it to be weather related. I mean if you run it while the problem is occuring it sounds like its timing is off and when its dry it runs like it is suppose to. could something in the distributer be getting moisture in it and malfunctioning.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cap and rotor are brand new just put them on like a month ago. what would cause it to be weather related. I mean if you run it while the problem is occuring it sounds like its timing is off and when its dry it runs like it is suppose to. could something in the distributer be getting moisture in it and malfunctioning.
Typically, misfiring in wet weather is an indication of bad plug wires. In complete darkness, run and rev the engine with the hood up and look for any sparks flying off the wires or distributor cap.

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOn't have one but I am borrowing one tomorrow. the only thing is its n ot suppose to rain till thursday here and thats when it dsoes it so I will see if I can recreate the problem. I did try to unplug the wires individually while the problem was occuring and there was really no change in the idle and when you give it gas it will die.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOn't have one but I am borrowing one tomorrow. the only thing is its n ot suppose to rain till thursday here and thats when it dsoes it so I will see if I can recreate the problem. I did try to unplug the wires individually while the problem was occuring and there was really no change in the idle and when you give it gas it will die.
Read my additional added comments in the previous post. In addition, you can recreate moisture/rain with a water spray bottle.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car sputters and **** too almost cuts off etc when riding along but itsm ore then in rain its every day when the car gets to running temp.

my wires have not been changed and im still have yet to change the dizzy cap/rotor and take out the msd.

though in the rain one day when ti was acting up i sprayed wd40 on it and it went fine till it wore off.

im guessing its the wires/ somethign to do with the dizzy
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Integra4lyfe069
my car sputters and **** too almost cuts off etc when riding along but itsm ore then in rain its every day when the car gets to running temp.

my wires have not been changed and im still have yet to change the dizzy cap/rotor and take out the msd.

though in the rain one day when ti was acting up i sprayed wd40 on it and it went fine till it wore off.

im guessing its the wires/ somethign to do with the dizzy
Replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and then go from there. Is the CEL ON?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
New User

Sounds like your engine is drowning

What type of gas do u put in it?

If this happens only when it rains it could be the air filter. Check the intake.

Is there liquid dripping from the exhaust? or any visible fumes?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried the spray test nothing and the car is running right like it does when its not raining also last night when it got dark and the humidity went up it did it again. No codes or anything. Also the fuel pressure is staying right where it should at 38 psi I don't know what the hell is going on. I am about to take it in and let someone look at it. Also you can smell gas when it is doing this. Could a bad O2 sensor do this to the car?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it isnt only in rain. our problem acts up when ever it wants. sometimes for hours the car runs perfectly fine. others it just acts up so bad.

this is my civic, but the integra i drive has black watery **** on the exhaust and runs real rich, i think the gasket is blown.

anyway back on topic no water or anything from the civic so i dont think its drowning.

letrs say im rolling along im at about 40-60 km/h then the car will sputter spit start to lose power, if i hit the gas to the floor it straightens out and shoots with speed, or if i let off the gasd and switch it runs fine until it gets to a certin speed again then acts up again.

once it acts up it dont go away till i let the car cool. then when the car warms it seems to do it again.

VERY frustrating.

i took apart my back seats and case off the fuel pump and sender unit. i cleaned it all and unpluged wires did some test but nothing seems to be wrong.

this has been going on for months i cant ****ing fix it !!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok the car ran fine last night and then this morning it stopped working. It started to stuter again and wouldn't go above 500 rpms so I don't know what I am going to do with this car. I wish someone could give me an answer cause this has been going on for a week now. I have done everything but replace the distributer. Used a timing light and everything was fine. I am going to clean the iac sensor tonight and see if that helps.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any luck ?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope still only runs durring the day when its not raining. Acctually I drove it through rain yestarday and it would still run. Then this morning it wouldn't start so I think I am just going to take it some where but I am going to try and find someone with a computer and swap it out and see if thats the problem. Anyone want to let me borrow theres?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am wondering if the main relay could do this or could something else be cause this in the form of a relay. I have check everything and nothing seems to be adding up. I am going to take the computer out of the car and see if that may be causing it. I am going to check to see if there may be moisture in it or something. I am also going to be checking all the relays. I just don't under stand what would cause it to do this only when it is humid or raining outside it doesn't make since. Also if I get it running and keep it warm it doesn't do it till I let it cool down at night then it will do it in the morning till it warms up.

Last edited by bluevic99; 06-29-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please someone help!!!! I checked all the relays and there good but it is still doing the really bad idle when the humidity is up.

Quick Reply: Car isn't running right