Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Remove intake manifold to replace head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove intake manifold to replace head gasket?

D16Y8

Do you have to remove the intake manifold to remove the head? Engine's still in the car. The factory book says to remove it but I'm pretty sure you don't need to.

Last edited by HTY67; 01-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Remove intake manifold to replace head gasket?

because of all the hoses, wires and so-on connected to the manifold it's easier to leave the manifold in the vehicle and take just the head out. the factory book is trying to save you some trouble.

you're right though, you can take it out all together if you want to...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
because of all the hoses, wires and so-on connected to the manifold it's easier to leave the manifold in the vehicle and take just the head out. the factory book is trying to save you some trouble.

you're right though, you can take it out all together if you want to...
+1

I personally leave it connected. I think its easier for me to disconnect all hoses/wires then to unbolt it.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your changing the head gasket, just disconnect the exhaust manifold, and leave the intake on. You can pull the head up enough to get the head gasket on without even taking the head out of the car, just might need an extra set of hands or something to prop it up while you prep the head and block for the new gasket.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cherroneballs
If your changing the head gasket, just disconnect the exhaust manifold, and leave the intake on. You can pull the head up enough to get the head gasket on without even taking the head out of the car, just might need an extra set of hands or something to prop it up while you prep the head and block for the new gasket.
good idea..but wouldnt that be tight?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Iam sorry to say but I really feel the first 3 members are just speaking from what they have read or guessed as the headgasket change would logically require a head check for flatness and in most cases a shaving from an engine shop meaning you dont just pop the head,pull it out and drop the new gasket like it was changing a filter,theres more to it. and yes unbolting the IM IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL AND EASIEST WAY OF DOING IT!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Reject Papi

from a personal stand point, i can not get my hand behind the head. i'm a bigger guy, so that doesn't work for me. i see nothing wrong with pulling the head off, and then unbolting the manifold. meister vtec, explain the difference to me please?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, you dont need to take the intake manifold off however, the guy above me was right. If your going to do it cheaply and not have the head atleast checked before re-install then you're an idiot asking for trouble. You should pull the whole thing off as one and check the surface of the head with a machined straight edge. If it is warped, then you need to take the intake manifold off and have the head decked.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I unbolt the I.M. its actually easier IMO less a headache you'll see
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meister vtec
Iam sorry to say but I really feel the first 3 members are just speaking from what they have read or guessed as the headgasket change would logically require a head check for flatness and in most cases a shaving from an engine shop meaning you dont just pop the head,pull it out and drop the new gasket like it was changing a filter,theres more to it. and yes unbolting the IM IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL AND EASIEST WAY OF DOING IT!
I've pry done 2 dozen head gaskets and theres no guessing about my comments. as long as you weren't being an idiot and driving it while its over heating there shouldn't be warpage of the head. and you can still check the flatness of the block and head, with a 3 foot metal ruler or something similar while the heads in the car, go corner to corner and then all around both the head and the block. and yeah it is just that easy.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94_Teggy
good idea..but wouldnt that be tight?
Yeah it's a little tight, but not too bad. good luck.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meister vtec
Who are you? Ive probably changed more headgaskets then the amount of hairs on your ***.
The question asked was if he needed to remove the IM to remove the head.
He can remove it with the IM attached. Nobody mentioned anything about NOT having it checked for warpage. It was just a simple question and the resulting opinions if they think its easier to remove the IM before pulling the head. You can still check it for warpage with the IM attached the way cherroneballs said by using a machined straightedge and some feeler gauges. There should not be any warpage unless the motor was ran overheating. Ive changed many HGs on motors with over 125K on the clock and they were straight like an arrow. If it is deemed that the head is warped, then he can strip it down and head to the shop and have them mill it.

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
have the head decked.
Just a little info: you have a block decked and a head milled.

Last edited by zedron; 01-29-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zedron
Who are you? Ive probably changed more headgaskets then the amount of hairs on your ***.
The question asked was if he needed to remove the IM to remove the head.
He can remove it with the IM attached. Nobody mentioned anything about NOT having it checked for warpage. It was just a simple question and the resulting opinions if they think its easier to remove the IM before pulling the head. You can still check it for warpage with the IM attached the way cherroneballs said by using a machined straightedge and some feeler gauges. There should not be any warpage unless the motor was ran overheating. Ive changed many HGs on motors with over 125K on the clock and they were straight like an arrow. If it is deemed that the head is warped, then he can strip it down and head to the shop and have them mill it.
x2
Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I've never done it and it seemed to me to be easier to disconnect all the hoses and junk than to free the manifold from the head while still in the car. Just wondering. I guess since y'all have done it both ways I'll go with whatever is easier once I'm in there.

And of course either way I'll check for flatness and have it machined if needed.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know witch route is easier for you I'm interested