Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Having a hard time putting into reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a hard time putting into reverse!

Whats up everyone, i am having a hard time putting my **** into reverse. I know what your probably thinking, the same thing i did, "its your clutch" well it turns out that wasn't it. cause i just put an excedy clutch in my car and it still does it.

i really can't explain how it happens its like i go to put it in reverse and its like im hitting a wall.

iv come down to it being either three things

1)It might be the fork on the shifter
2)it might be the sinkronizer
3)it might be my tranny

which one do you all think it could be?

99 civic si
Old 04-21-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Having a hard time putting into reverse! (SIowner)

do you put it into 4th or 5th before putting it into reverse? How long ago did you change the oil? I know on my 5th gen and many other cars (like my 03 VW Jetta, too), there is no synchro on reverse...
Old 04-21-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Having a hard time putting into reverse! (PokeyD16Z)

its not the oil, i just changed my oil 250 miles before this happend, and when it happend i was in a parking lot, i was on my way home and when i went to put it in reverse it wouldn't go to save my life.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:59 AM

do you think its the sinkronizer?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just buy a 98 JDM Type R tranny

Does it grind when trying to shift or just straight up not go in?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you think its the sinkronizer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Synchronizer, bro, synchronizer. I've found that the shifter rods on most front-wheel drive cars easilly bind when you try to go from stop to reverse without having gone into a forward gear first. Just put it in first, let the clutch out a little then go into reverse and it should work fine.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having a hard time putting into reverse! (Archidictus)

^^ Agreed. Just put the car in second gear to stop the gears from spinning, then try putting it in reverse.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 AM

it doesn't grind at all it just straight up and won't go into gear, i mean it does but i have to sit there and play with the clutch to get it in

then when i want to take it out of gear i have to play with the clutch again and then it just pops out really f@#$in hard.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you need to have your clutch pedal adjusted?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Synchronizer, bro, synchronizer. I've found that the shifter rods on most front-wheel drive cars easilly bind when you try to go from stop to reverse without having gone into a forward gear first. Just put it in first, let the clutch out a little then go into reverse and it should work fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a Honda. If I'm going into reverse I shift 2, 3, R. Sometimes I also just pump the clutch a couple times. I just changed my fluid on Friday with GM SyncroMesh FM and it still does it. Like I said, it's a Honda.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe you need to have your clutch pedal adjusted?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't make sense because it only happens in reverse.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

i kinda have this same prob but if i press the clutch and put in reverse from stand still car has been itting there for hours, then it won go all the way so i then put it in netrual and press the clutch again and this may take a couple times but it finally will go, also my other prob is my shifter will move out of gear if i push it, it wont pop out but if i give it a nudge it will pop out of gear

any ideas?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SikCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i kinda have this same prob but if i press the clutch and put in reverse from stand still car has been itting there for hours, then it won go all the way so i then put it in netrual and press the clutch again and this may take a couple times but it finally will go, also my other prob is my shifter will move out of gear if i push it, it wont pop out but if i give it a nudge it will pop out of gear

any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...they're all like that. You can shift without using the clutch, too! Not recommended.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah...they're all like that. You can shift without using the clutch, too! Not recommended.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that doesnt sound right
Old 04-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that doesnt sound right</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend does it sometimes. It's some gay stunna shifting method where you basically just let the shifter grind against the synchros until it falls into gear. I figure if Honda thought that was a suitable way to shift they wouldn't have installed so many clutches in their manual transmission cars.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

im thinkin its shifter bushings and possibly fluid cheange should help, i have never heard of the shifter being able to be pushed outta gear wit lil force, also what about how i repress the clutch and it will go in reverse?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

most honda's have that problem, most of my car did.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PokeyD16Z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you put it into 4th or 5th before putting it into reverse? How long ago did you change the oil? I know on my 5th gen and many other cars (like my 03 VW Jetta, too), there is no synchro on reverse...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would do that before shifting into reverse. it helps
Old 04-21-2004, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SikCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im thinkin its shifter bushings and possibly fluid cheange should help, i have never heard of the shifter being able to be pushed outta gear wit lil force, also what about how i repress the clutch and it will go in reverse?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can almost always shift out of gear into neutral without the clutch (I do it sometimes when I'm feeling lazy, but not too often), but you have to be really good (and know where the gears are lined up) to go into gear without the clutch.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ignitecivic)

Let me just reiterate:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's a Honda. If I'm going into reverse I shift 2, 3, R. Sometimes I also just pump the clutch a couple times. I just changed my fluid on Friday with GM SyncroMesh FM and it still does it. Like I said, it's a Honda.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRI94)

I do the same thing. Works like a charm.