Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

To have A/C or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 To have A/C or not?

Whats up gentlemen,

im in a bit of a rut, and i need some advice.

Im doing a b series swap into my 95 civic, now my car stock does not have A/C.. and after driving in this humidity lately ive decided i want to install A/C in my car..

Since im doing a swap i figured i could add this in during the install. Is this a simple process?? & what stuff would be required if i wanted to put A/C in?

This wont be a track car, this will be a DD
i know i will sacrifice some HP with A/C, but is it a great loss in HP?
I might boost this motor in a couple of years, would this be an issue when the time comes?

sorry if this is a noob question boys but i have never done anything like this before so i figured i might as well ask.

i appreciate any input thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To have A/C or not?

I'm in the process of installing A/C in my car right now. I had some issues because I tried to mix and match R134a and R12 parts, which are different. Go to the junk yard, find a 94-95 Civic (has R134a system, 92-93 has R12 system) and get the entire system. You can get a R12 system and retrofit the low and high side connections, but make sure and use Ether compressor oil because there will still be a little bit of the old oil in the system. You'll need to replace the receiver dryer.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by italian_virus
Whats up gentlemen,

im in a bit of a rut, and i need some advice.

Im doing a b series swap into my 95 civic, now my car stock does not have A/C.. and after driving in this humidity lately ive decided i want to install A/C in my car..

Since im doing a swap i figured i could add this in during the install. Is this a simple process?? & what stuff would be required if i wanted to put A/C in?

This wont be a track car, this will be a DD
i know i will sacrifice some HP with A/C, but is it a great loss in HP?
I might boost this motor in a couple of years, would this be an issue when the time comes?

sorry if this is a noob question boys but i have never done anything like this before so i figured i might as well ask.

i appreciate any input thanks!
a/c in a daily is a necessity for me, especially living in southern NJ. so i can totally relate. the humidity and heat are just unbearable sometimes. sure, i could open all the windows like i do on my old montero, but that doesn't cut it most of the time, especially when wearing a canadian tuxedo, and who wants to do that in the rain?

you won't lose any power with a/c when you need it; the ECU will disengage the a/c after certain RPM and throttle angle, and the free-spinning pulley doesn't hurt you at that point.

you can boost with a/c, it will just limit your manifold options a bit, but it's very possible and done quite often.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cousin has a 600hp Integra with AC

go for AC man

My car measured 130 degrees when I got inside about a week ago, even with one of those sunscreens in the front windshield.

There's no way I'm going without an AC

BTW just about every car in this link has AC and is boosted avg. 300 WHP

http://www.lhtperformance.net/docume...urbo_cars.html
Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
eg7
B*a*n*n*e*d

AC is so nice.