Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Uber-Newbie Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uber-Newbie Questions.

So, I am totally new to the performance tuning scene, and the car modification scene in general, so I have a ton of questions. I don't have much hands-on experience with cars, but I did just finish an automotive textbook and think that I have a decent grasp of the concepts. Also, from some earlier post's suggestion, I ordered 'Civic Duty' from amazon. If you know of any other good books/websites for a beginner, let me know.

Anyway, I just picked up a 98 Civic EX coupe, and was interested in performing a series of mods as budget and skill allow, hopefully working up to an engine swap and/or a turbo. The problem is, I am not sure what, how expensive, nor how difficult it would be to install each mod, be it aesthetic or performance oriented. I would prefer to do the mods myself to learn about my car, but I realize that there are some things that are just better left to a real professional with the right tools (painting). So I guess my question is, what mods would you all recommend for a newbie just starting, based on both ease of installation, cost, and bang (be it horsepower, torque, looks, or sound) for buck?

Bring on the standard n00b flames
Old 10-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Uber-Newbie Questions. (slyph777)

hmmm...you've turned to the professionals for advice, good first step

if you want to spend money on the engine that's already in there, a cold-air intake (CAI) from AEM is about as easy as it gets. after that, an exhaust would be the most logical, and the next easiest. a header (singular, remember that) would be fine too, as it's just a few bolts on the cat/b-pipe and manifold...it's just harder to get to than, say, an intake.

if you want to work on your wiring skills, maybe get an MSD ignition (jegs has em, as does summit racing) for better gas mileage, better idle and a smoother powerband.

if you think you'll be swapping soon (within a year or so), you may want to focus on suspension and handling instead. strut, sway and tie bars are the easiest to install, and other suspension components like springs, coilovers and shocks are not too far past simple either. you'll figure it out, i'm sure.

get a HELMS manual for your car. best investment EVER. good luck.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uber-Newbie Questions. (Archidictus)

I read that Civic Duty book...

I didn't like it. Way too much rice recommended, IMO, but most of the technical stuff was alright, IIRC.

Old 10-02-2002, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Uber-Newbie Questions. (Archidictus)

Wow, thanks. I was holding my breath for the flames

What engine type mods (CAI, exhaust, etc) would be transferrable between engines? I assumes that the header would be different, but would I need to resize the CAI?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Uber-Newbie Questions. (slyph777)

Wow....a newbie with a grasp of gramatical concepts and spelling.

You're already thinking ahead...thats good. If you really want to do a motor swap, I say forget the basic bolt-ons for now. I would upgrade the suspension first (Wheels, Tires, Springs or Coilovers, Shocks). It makes the car fun to drive even if its slow, and it will look better. Your car will then be ready to rock when you drop the motor in and two of your biggest cost will be out of the way.

I wish I would have started like that.

[Modified by BenB, 9:15 PM 10/2/2002]