Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR swap running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GSR swap running rich

I recently did a gsr swap in my 96 honda civic dx. The wiring harness was modified to fit the gsr. Everything came out of the same gsr and is running stock for stock, 96 gsr in a 96 civic.

The car runs great other then running rich. It's running so rich it blows the spark out periodically, mainly on light load when warming up. Runs fine other then that. It runs rich because a) black smoke whenever it's under load b) horrible gas mileage c) code 45 (running rich) d) periodic misfire (blowing spark out).

I want it to run well. I've done the basics, full tune up including PCV, tried a different map sensor, no CEL codes other then Code 45 (cleared, but comes back) and a new dizzy. I also tried a new FPR but no luck. What else should I check? O2 sensors came out of my civic DX, could they be the problem? Maybe they aren't meant for the GSR. I also ordered a fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on. I will install it as soon as it shows up.

I just want suggestions into what to check? I'm running out of ideas. Currently to help out I gapped the plugs to .030" and it seems to be more consistant of operation. Oh, and the oil reeks of fuel...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: GSR swap running rich

Disregard the EGR system as I don't think you have one.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm thanks for the info. Ya the EVAP wiring was a little snug when I installed it. I'll check the continuity of those wires. I don't have an EGR. IS the Primary O2 from a D16Y7 ok to use on a B18C1?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. So the EVAP was ok. I'm gonna check the map sensor wiring for resistance. What is a good signal from a map sensor on warm idle?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Didn't you already replace the MAP sensor?

I'd recommend that you start by measuring the fuel pressure with and without the FPR vacuum hose attached. Do you have a stock fuel pump? Also check for a stuck open fuel injector. With that said, are the fuel injectors the correct size for the engine?

For your tune up, did you check the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Have you checked for an exhaust leak near or upstream of the primary O2 sensor?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Didn't you already replace the MAP sensor?

I'd recommend that you start by measuring the fuel pressure with and without the FPR vacuum hose attached. Do you have a stock fuel pump? Also check for a stuck open fuel injector. With that said, are the fuel injectors the correct size for the engine?

For your tune up, did you check the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Have you checked for an exhaust leak near or upstream of the primary O2 sensor?
I did try a new map sensor, but I did not verify the map sensor wiring. It was tugged on and what not to re route it from the DX setup to the GSR setup.

It's a stock pump, I've tried different injectors, same results. I'm waiting for my fuel pressure gauge to show up I ordered it last week. I did check the timing with a gun it's bang on now. There is no exhaust leaks. There was an exhaust leak after the cat but I put a new gasket in and it's all fixed it. Still getting issues.

I beleive the map sensor wiring might have been fubarred during the rewiring. I was careful with it but maybe it stretched a connection too much and is now getting high resistance. I want to check it's resistance/continuity. But I also want to verify the output of the map sensor. If anyone knows what voltage is good at idle it would be great to verify it's operation.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the gauge installed. Fuel pressure without the air line is 48psi, with is 38psi.