Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

topping off coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default topping off coolant

Hey guys I just recently put on a slim fan removed my radiator hoses to replace them, do you guys think it would be fine to top the coolant off or should I get it flushed ect so I do not risk getting air bubbles. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Default Re: topping off coolant

don't risk getting air in coolant, it could lead to other problems. Just bleed it out at the bleeder screw, or run the car without the radiator cap to get any air that may be trapped.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek-g6
don't risk getting air in coolant, it could lead to other problems. Just bleed it out at the bleeder screw, or run the car without the radiator cap to get any air that may be trapped.
he is right but it sounds weird the first couple of words. what he means is that you dont want to drive around with air bubbles in yoru cooling system because your water pump is not an air pump. it can only move liquids. if air reaches yoru water pump it will stop pumping resulting in an overheating condition.

so...you did allow air to enter your cooling system..it must be bleed. no big deal. no way you could have avoided this situation.

cold motor...cap off...rasie front end as high as you can go (to make it the highest point above the motor. "tech tip this is not an actual crictical step") and start vehicle.

allow vehcile to get normal temp with cap still off and monitor temp. if temp rises turn the car off and wait. keep adding coolant the best you can. avoid the best you can cold coolant into a hot overheating radiator.

some vehcils come with a bleeder screw next to yoru thermostat. same idea just open bleeder screw until coolant comes "streaming" out.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
he is right but it sounds weird the first couple of words. what he means is that you dont want to drive around with air bubbles in yoru cooling system because your water pump is not an air pump. it can only move liquids. if air reaches yoru water pump it will stop pumping resulting in an overheating condition.

so...you did allow air to enter your cooling system..it must be bleed. no big deal. no way you could have avoided this situation.

cold motor...cap off...rasie front end as high as you can go (to make it the highest point above the motor. "tech tip this is not an actual crictical step") and start vehicle.

allow vehcile to get normal temp with cap still off and monitor temp. if temp rises turn the car off and wait. keep adding coolant the best you can. avoid the best you can cold coolant into a hot overheating radiator.

some vehcils come with a bleeder screw next to yoru thermostat. same idea just open bleeder screw until coolant comes "streaming" out.
I'm curious as to why you say to raise the front. Every time I bleed me coolant the front is raised but that's just random. What is the reasoning to this? Does it allow Air bubbles to flow better to the radiator?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you raise the front end cuz the bubbles rise up-wards....having the front end raised the bubbles would flow better to the radiator.