Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR cams vs. ITR and CTR cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR cams vs. ITR and CTR cams

I bought some GSR cams to put in my stock B16 in my 2000 civic Si along with AEM cam gears. I was planning on putting them in and then I got a bunch of smack from people saying there wouldn't be a difference in power, and that I should have gotten CTR or at least ITR's to notice any kind of power difference. Its not built at all, has an intake, exhaust, and headers, and no tuning, but i plan on getting it tuned soon.

Point being is there a noticeable difference when you put in GSR cams? Or is it a waste of labor and should i spend the extra money and get stage two cams or CTR cams or ITR cams?

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: GSR cams vs. ITR and CTR cams

GSR cams don't make power on B16A engines, why would you think this???

Using a ITR/CTR cam set might add 3-4hp

Using aftermarket cams can make a lot more power, but usually when compression is increased at the same time
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

waste of time and labor
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec is louder on my b16 with gsr cams i have a turbo setup and the gsr cams gave me an extra 16hp over my stock cams at the same boost level
Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by azandford
vtec is louder on my b16 with gsr cams i have a turbo setup and the gsr cams gave me an extra 16hp over my stock cams at the same boost level
boosted engines react differently than all motor with cams. Your 16hp claim means nothing to the OP
Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
boosted engines react differently than all motor with cams. Your 16hp claim means nothing to the OP
my point was that they will make a difference.... and id be more than happy to provide before and after dyno sheets to prove my "claim"

OP if you can get the itr/ctr cams... there a bit expensive and your better off spending that money on crower/zex cams but if your on a budget get the gsr cams and a tune
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by azandford
my point was that they will make a difference.... and id be more than happy to provide before and after dyno sheets to prove my "claim"
I don't think you get it! I don't question your boosted engine made more power. I am telling you that "all motor" cams act very differently, they follow different rules. If you put an all motor stage II cam on from a company say Skunk 2, you would loose power on a boosted motor as it has too much overlap

That is why different cams are made for boost all together. The fact you made some extra power with gsr cams on your engine great.....doesn't mean it works for every application
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Id would do it they r dirt cheap and it wouldnt take but a couple hours. Deetz is somewhat correct it really wont make much power. Ctr or itr would require u to have dual springs on the exhaust which requires a special tool and take a bit longer but would still b worth the time and dough if u ask me. Bigger cams do need more compression to make power but were talking stock honda/acura parts. Boosted setups do love a bigger cam, ur pretty much doubling airflow (at 14 psi depending on the size of the turbo of coarse) so that much more lift and duration helps a ton, wouldnt really do that on a stock b16 but like i said def worth the time and $ later down the road u can tune it. no foul running them now
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Trial User

I've heard the argument that the cams won't do much if you arent boosted. Thanks for the advice, id still like to hear more opinions.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you should spend the cost of gsr cams and labour for absoultly no gains whatso ever, more money no improvment.... thats how i roll.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's the deal OP. GSR cams will make such a minimal gain (if any) that its a waste of your time. GSR cams are great OE cams for boost but you're all motor. Now if you're gonna go with stg. 2 cams, you'll have to upgrade your valvetrain to handle the cams. With the CTR/ITR, you'll need dual springs on the exhaust side like the CTR/ITR engines have. So to answer your question, don't waste your time on the GSR cams. I've used both GSR and B16 cams in my LSVTEC, no difference whatsoever. At least noticeable difference. If anything, go with ITR cams if you want gains.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

GSRs have a completely different 2-stage intake setup than a B16, and the cam profiles take advantage of that. I would think that you'd possibly lose midrange on an N/A B16 with GSR cams.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well lets be Honest to the OP every single motor is different but all depends on what direction your headed in long term.

If you plan on boosting or supercharging GSR and ITR are better than b16 cams
if you plan on all motor with keeping the same reliable power and no tuning ITR are the way to go GSR are good don't get me wrong if you find them at a really low price but lets face it the ITR is better and remember most of the power is found on the intake cam many people do different combination's.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Trial User

since im not boosted and probably wont be for a while, but am getting tuned soon, whats the next best step? since most replies that i've gotten back have been dont do it, i probably wont. but i do want more power, now i just dont know where to get it since im fairly new to this.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a ctr intake cam and gsr exhaust cam on my ls/v and found a measly 6 hp after re-tuning over the b16 cams that came with my head.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your staying all motor on a budget start off w/ ITR or CTR cams. just get the valvesprings and a tune and you should be a little happier. then when the time and money is there step up to another set of cams a better I/H/E and go from there.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/b-seri...et-inside.html

In my area people are trying to sell their gsr cams for $150+ because of this thread :S .

I myself have the opportunity to buy ITR cams and have them installed for a good price but am wondering if it'll really be worth it since I don't have dual valve springs and probably won't have a chipped ecu for another week or two. I don't want to spend the $400+ only to get 6hp.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Trial User

^^^^ if there were anymore misspellings in that thread i would have shot myself.... but yea honestly it seems to work out in favor for some people and not for others. for now im just going with a tune and we'll see what happens later.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do it yourself putting on the cams I say do it. With the b16a w/ gsr cams you should notice alittle bit of low end torque and better reponse on low rpm to mid range. Experience wise on my old 2000 civic si I used to have. But with the itr cams there will be a lot more aggressive when hit vtec point but the car will feel like it bog on mid range, seem like it needs a tune if itr cams was to be put in.