Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GS-R advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-R advise

Hey guys and gals. Im a new member to the site however i have been able to use some peoples pictures to help me lower my car and do some other things to it. Its a lot better than some of the other blogs i have seen.

So im new to the site, im new to building motors, however, im not really new to the car scene. I've raced go karts and tried the local short track scene just ran out of money. so im not car stupid persay just never built a motor... and this will change

i have a little car club on the rise in my hometown and im ready to build my civic up, I just recently bought a gsr block which i will have it at the machine shop to get it all pretty and cleaned up, no scaring or cracks but im going to have it bored, honed and decked. its going in a 2000 SI( so there is the background on it)

the build will be a brian crower stroker kit right from the website. everything i need: crank, bearings, custom rods and pistons. heres what i need help with (besides finding the torque specs for the rebuild) what would you guys go with. i want to try and get somwhere in the ball park of 11.5:1 comp ratio. Would you use 84mm pistons on a vtec head and have to get the blocked sleeved, or go with 82mm pistons to get away from the sleeves right.

again im still learning and waiting for all the knowledge for this build, any info would be great im eager to learn and read what needs to be read.

just wanted to get some advice from people who know what there talking about!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R advise

It depends on what your long term/overall goal is for the car. I'm assuming since you are going higher compression you are probably staying naturally aspirated?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You could just buy a stroker crankshaft making it a 2.0L and leave the sleeves stock. This would make a lot of power, and not cost too much. The tq would be amazing. You would just need a tune and if it were mine, a stronger clutch and lightweight flywheel
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
You could just buy a stroker crankshaft making it a 2.0L and leave the sleeves stock. This would make a lot of power, and not cost too much. The tq would be amazing. You would just need a tune and if it were mine, a stronger clutch and lightweight flywheel
is it that easy?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by SeanK325
is it that easy?
to buy a stroker crank? Sure, why not. I mean, it's a good idea to do bearings, and fresh rings and a full gasket set. I've had a few customers stroke their engines, gives better gains than most of the bolt on crap people waste there money on these days
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to buy a stroker crank? Sure, why not. I mean, it's a good idea to do bearings, and fresh rings and a full gasket set. I've had a few customers stroke their engines, gives better gains than most of the bolt on crap people waste there money on these days
so how does that affect the reliability?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

^^ it really shouldn't! A proper tune so your engine burns clean would be key for long term performance. Eagle make a couple of good options for strokers for Honda's.

They have both a regular stoker crank that adds .2 displacement to your engine. They also have a LW option (lightweight) for less rotating mass and quicker throttle response
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ it really shouldn't! A proper tune so your engine burns clean would be key for long term performance.
I think this is where people mess up the most. Not having someone do a good tune on a built motor will kill it fast.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ it really shouldn't! A proper tune so your engine burns clean would be key for long term performance. Eagle make a couple of good options for strokers for Honda's.

They have both a regular stoker crank that adds .2 displacement to your engine. They also have a LW option (lightweight) for less rotating mass and quicker throttle response
I have so much to learn. In any case, I'm glad I know this. I thought there was a lot more to it. GSR or ITR a better fit for stroking it out to 2.0?

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
I think this is where people mess up the most. Not having someone do a good tune on a built motor will kill it fast.
seems like something so obvious would be accounted for in your build budget. i guess a lot of people overlook it for one reason or another.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
It depends on what your long term/overall goal is for the car. I'm assuming since you are going higher compression you are probably staying naturally aspirated?
Yea that is my goal, i do want to stay naturally aspirated, i want to daily the car so i dont want to go outrageous with it but would like to put out some power.

im getting a Brian Crower kit, crank, rods, bearings, and pistons. ill go from a 1.8 to a 2.0L with the GS-R. So going with the 82mm pistons should still put out enough power and leave out the dardon sleeves?

I will have someone be able to tune the car. there is a pretty good shop around here. i would agree there people build it but no tune.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Upping the displacement is going to be your biggest potential creator in the build. You could probably have saved yourself a step by using a b20 as your platform. Build sounds good might want to check out the all motor forum,TONS of good info and some smart builders and tuners in there.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Upping the displacement is going to be your biggest potential creator in the build. You could probably have saved yourself a step by using a b20 as your platform. Build sounds good might want to check out the all motor forum,TONS of good info and some smart builders and tuners in there.
Well the guy who i have that will tune my motor, and the the motor shop im taking it to has told me they have always had problems when people stoke a b20...

i didnt know there was a all motor forum, i'll deff have to check that out! thanks for the heads up!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other advice?

My main question is to see if the 82mm pistons will be able to provide the 11.5 ratio. cause not sleeveing the motor will bring down the build cost a lot.