Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

grinding noise when leting clutch out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise when leting clutch out.

i searched this and it went dead in the one thread where i found the same problem, it seems like grinding noises are quite often the base of threds tho

Anyways when ever i disengage my clutch when in neutrel i get this slight grinding noise that is fairly soft, and then when i acelerate hard or hit about 2500 rpms it gets relaly loud. my friend said iy might be ballbearings or something in my tranny? anyways if you guys could tellme what this is or give me some idea of cost for repair i would really apreciate it ( o yeah he said it wasnt serious but would just be an anoying noise that i could deal with if i wanted to.) thanks again.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (Anosa)

i wanna say its the clutch...becuase mine did it in my 99' SI..then i blew the clutch, replaced it and havent heard it since.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:47 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (Slow_Em1)

possibly could be a throw out bearing.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (AzntaggeR)

yea thats what i was told. my grinding noiseisn't as bad as yours tho. it not really grinding its like just rubbing of the two discs. all u want to do is just make sure the tranny fluid is up and everythign is fine unless it gets annoying. i might replace the clutch if i find one cheap enough, but ill do a real replacement once i need a swap
Old 12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I had this problem the culprit was my mainshaft bearings in my tranny. Mine was horrible. All of the plastic in the bearing broke out so the ***** all clicked together. Imagine that at 7k rpms. I hope you are more fortunate than I was.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly could be a throw out bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats what im thinkin
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it was my thread, heh. One of my friends said that it's probably the pilot bearing. I still haven't bothered replacing it though.

Do you get the most grinding sound when you are in first, accelerating? I get it then, and when I hit something around 2500, it grinds, goes silent, grinds, goes silent, grinds, goes silent in an approx three second time span
Old 12-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (parasonic)

TOB or ISB- Input shaft bearing, which is a common problem, as it's the last area to receieve oil
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly could be a throw out bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

TOB's make noises when depressing the clutch, not just when releasing it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Input shaft bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would get my vote, as that sounds like what he is describing. sounds like the trans need to come out.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (rodney)

You're not the only one.
I have a 99 Si with a b16 tranny and after a clutch replacement I was introduced to this awful noise.
It never happend before I blew my street disc and my buddie who works at Acura did me a favor by putting in a new clutch/disc/TOB set up (ACT Extreme). Anyways all was well untill next day when I would release the clutch from a stop light and I hear EEERRRRK; the faster I engage the louder the sound, there were times where I can control the noise by slowly and carefully evening out the clutch and gas at the same rate.
So I did some investigating, and I came up with a conclusion which I don't think is very good.
I guess my friend lost some bolts that bolt the tranny to the block, missing 2, one on top one on the bottom
Since the sound does sound like 2 thick metals rubbing friction I convinced myself it was because of the midding bolts since I never had any prior troubles with noise until after he installed my clutch, plus the clutch set up is practically brand new.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wanna say its the clutch...becuase mine did it in my 99' SI..then i blew the clutch, replaced it and havent heard it since. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-30-2004, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (Louie_EM1)

mine used to make a slight grinding sound but it ended up being the fork didnt have enough grease on it where the clutch slave cylinder touches it so you would hear the metal on metal. you might check that since its cheap and easy. It would suck to take your tranny off and everything for it just to end up being this problem.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (Evs-One)

Oh, for mine, I also get the grinding noise when in neutral.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (parasonic)

anybody know what that is? when u have it in nuetral and let off the clutch, how much to replace and how much?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: grinding noise when leting clutch out. (mto386)

I'm probably going to go for a lighter flywheel and consequently a new clutch, so I might have to solve this with a process of elimination.