Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

surging idle, whether its warm or cold engine from 1k to 2k constant

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default surging idle, whether its warm or cold engine from 1k to 2k constant

i am going to check out my fitv and my iacv tommorow. but as i searched through posts and whatever, i noticed that these two things were the culprit only after the engine was warm or only when the engine was cold. my civics d15 surges no matter what temperature it is at. this is wasting a lot of gas being my unmodified daily driver its a big deal to me. i checked all vacuum lines and hoses, bled my coolant and the problem is still there. i replaced my map sensor and o ring also. i didnt use a new throttle body gasket when i removed my throttle body before. could this be a problem? its on very tight and if there is a leak, it is a very minor one at that. what would most likely the problem be? and also, could my idle be doing this because it needs adjustment? and do i have to reset the ecu after i do this? how do i reset the ecu? from what i understand you have to unhook the negative cable to your battery. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: surging idle, whether its warm or cold engine from 1k to 2k constant (homeskillet)

yeah I think that you mite have a vac. leak. here's a way the find out, take off your intake pipe, and when your car is on, cover the TB with your palm, make sure to cover the hole so it don't suck in any air, if your car turn's off then you don't have a leak, but if your car stay's running you'll hear the air being sucked in where the leak is, make sure and have a good ear., and that's should be your prob. right there. if your recently did any thing to your itm or tb then that's prob. why you have a leak. good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 PM

FITV

located it inder your tb and take out the internals and clean it and twist it back to get tension on it.
Pretty sure this is your problem, sounds indentical to my firends prolem a few months ago.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Average Al)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Average Al &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FITV

located it inder your tb and take out the internals and clean it and twist it back to get tension on it.
Pretty sure this is your problem, sounds indentical to my firends prolem a few months ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the FITV only works when the engine is cold.

you have a vacuum leak, check all hoses and sensors on the intake manifold. check your brake booster line, sometimes they crack.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (Kamin)

bad TPS or bad Fast Idle valve...had the same problem a few months back...replaced both and it fixed trhe problem.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok this morning i toom my tb off and checked it all out. all my vacuum lines were one fine and i didnt see anything that was cracked either. i screwed my fitv in better. i checked my iacv also. the screen was not too clogged but i cleaned it off anyways. after i reassembled everything i reset my ecu. my civic ran quite a bit better i noticed and the idle still surges but not as bad anymore. it goes from 1.1k to 1.6k now. i can live with it for now but i would like to go fix it completely next time i have a chance which may be tommorow. i used my hand to feel the air around my tb and noticed that i will need a new tb gasket. theres a small air leak there. i tightened it a little tighter it got better but its still there. i noticed a bad tps was cited as a possible problem.. which sensor is the tps? because i noticed whatever sensor is the one on the tb facing the firewall is cracked. it still clips on but i dont know if that could be the problem. im going to the junkyard this saturday also. and another FITV question... i screwed it in until it was pretty snug in there. it was just below that hole thats in there. i read somewhere that it can be broken easily so i didnt want to force it too much. will that be a problem? ok thanks for all the suggestions now with this new info it may help you guys help me diagnose whats wrong with my car.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just some additional info. i bought my civic with a bad engine so i replaced it with one i know to have run fine from a donor vehicle. but it didnt not have a throttle body on it while the engine was sitting i must have misplaced it. so i used the throttle body from the bad engined civic. so it has been removed recently so thats why the gasket it bad.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (homeskillet)

Gaskets are supposed to be replaced EVERY time you seperate them. Because they "Squish" when you tighten the bolts for the first time, they seal every nook & cranny of the machined surfaces. Once you remove it, it can't go back EXACTLY into those same voids. A new gasket is a cheap fix, it's just a pain in the *** to have to buy one every time.

Yes, the cracked sensor your refering to is the TPS. If you can find a newer, better, uncracked one, use it. I, personally, don't see how this part could create a surging idle, but I'm not that experienced either...