Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gonna build my d..dont hate please

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: gonna build my d..dont hate please

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
A twin turbo set up isn't even practical on a 4cyl engine....
Who says it has to be practical?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseriesboulder
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...n-turbo-d.html

Cliffs: one turbo>two
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is full of so much fail. If He wants to be an idiot and say stayin n/a will keep costs down but then Say he wants 200hp then let him TRY it and see how much more money he spends for the "****" gains he will achieve. At the end of the day most of us know if you want nice gains out of a sohc you have to boost. Sounds like this thread is turning into either a troll fest or the n/a sohc nut huggers really just have the deepest pockets i have ever seen with the smallest amount of brains. Everyone here has suggested either boosting or going dohc if you want big gains. Listen to what people are saying or stop posting because im sure many of the people who have gone through this thread are getting irritated.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Since the turbos are only being fed my two cylinders each, if you used tiny little motorcycle turbos, you could theoretically have stupidly fast spool times, but your peak will be stupidly limited. Also, turbos spooling that fast would be detrimental to this great thing called traction. The amount of fab time and cost would make it stupidly prohibitive though, unless someone was doing it as a proof of concept.

OP, if you're actually interested in having two major power adders under your hood, look into twin charging. It's still overkill on anything short of a fully built D, though, and would net far greater gains on a B.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pardon me for saying, but now you're just talking nonsense.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3786956572.html
Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol don't listen to these ****. I am in my WHOLE CAR less than $2500. Be smart with your money and DIY everything. I made 150WHP and 120WTQ on a all motor D series
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 160hpz6na
Lol don't listen to these ****. I am in my WHOLE CAR less than $2500. Be smart with your money and DIY everything. I made 150WHP and 120WTQ on a all motor D series
Cool you were able to build a D to the just under the power of a b16a2....only things is that a STOCK b16 in the same chassis would still walk you. on your ad it says 117 lbs of tq have fun with that point being you've maxed out that D and don't say you'll "just boost it now" with that current comp you're running that's not happening safely. nice intake cone and it's called a Wideband not sideband

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 05-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Since the turbos are only being fed my two cylinders each, if you used tiny little motorcycle turbos, you could theoretically have stupidly fast spool times, but your peak will be stupidly limited. Also, turbos spooling that fast would be detrimental to this great thing called traction. The amount of fab time and cost would make it stupidly prohibitive though, unless someone was doing it as a proof of concept.

OP, if you're actually interested in having two major power adders under your hood, look into twin charging. It's still overkill on anything short of a fully built D, though, and would net far greater gains on a B.
Yes do-able 100% i agree but a single is cheaper and will net bigger gains for less $ spent and time/custom fab. But op neither has the funds or know how to do that. That is more of a shops project or someone who has the time/know how to "DIY".
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And? That's still not a lot of power. After that number it's an almost geometrical progression in terms of money spent to horsepower gained to reliability lost.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So basically you made 25 more hp than a bone stock D16z6. I'm not knocking D-series engines, i love them. but to make power with them for cheap a turbo is the way to go. That's all everybody was getting at
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
And that's the TRICK isn't it? The majority of people dreaming of big N/A horsepower numbers cannot BEGIN to front such a budget. No one is saying it isn't possible. I'm not anyway. The dollar ratio per horsepower gained is ridiculous when compared to similar money spent on a boosted setup.

i wanted to go the same route with my y8 but why spend time and money on all motor when you could go boost. Then i learned instead of spending money for a Turbo d setup i went with b swap and still have potential for more HP possibly boost in the future. But now i am kicking myself for not going h or k, smh.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGxBoostFiend
So basically you made 25 more hp than a bone stock D16z6. I'm not knocking D-series engines, i love them. but to make power with them for cheap a turbo is the way to go. That's all everybody was getting at
He deserves more credit than that lol as we are talking WHP here 150whp is not easy(cheap) on a all motor D i'll give him that. his TQ numbers are not much above stock however....
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL you guys are hilarious.
Arguments/theories and straight knowledge dropping aside, the best thing I learned from this thread is, D series engines are good stock engines... for leaving stock.

I put $almost $550 into my neglected engine to ensure it would/should run another couple years before I do a swap (timing belt/water pump cam/crank seals,plug wires etc and etc ), when I could have swapped it for a couple hundred more in just a few months had I left it as is, and drove it till it died. Now I'm a year away from affording a swap, but at least I didn't get delusions of D series grandeur. Hopefully my gas mileage retained allows me to save quickly to rectify intial poor $$$ spending choice.

Bottom line, other than maintenance to keep er going till I drop er out, All horsepower dreams are INEFFICIENT uses of money on my lovely little gas saving D series.

oh I also learned how to drive people nuts here, vague implausible ideas in the face of solid experience/realistic finances works well.

Thanks Guys lol
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel bad for grumblemarc and B_swapped, all theyre tryna do is spread knowledge and OP just doesnt get it.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sohc owners have the hardest heads. They buy a 1.5/1.6 Civic and wonder why Everyone else is faster. EDIT(meaning they always want more power) The engine is the most important part, unless you have lambo doors.
(Thread over a long time ago)

Last edited by S2BumpsticksGSR; 05-06-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: cliffs
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Toofpik
I feel bad for grumblemarc and B_swapped, all theyre tryna do is spread knowledge and OP just doesnt get it.
I get it. Honestly I do.

Anyway... Time to study and boost. Gonna hit some yards today and see if j can find any oem stuff. Would also like to get my front lip put on. Need to find a rear and side skirts also.

Anyway.. I do appreciate all the advice. I didn't want to boost for the fact I'll probably blow the car up. But to get the gains I want, looks like I'm going to.

I'm just rambling. Sorry.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
Sohc owners have the hardest heads. They buy a 1.5/1.6 Civic and wonder why Everyone else is faster. The engine is the most important part, unless you have lambo doors.
(Thread over a long time ago)
I don't care about who's faster.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by walrus_07
Bump
Why?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, I'm gonna say this. Please don't flame on me for wanting to build up my d16. I don't care about your b/k/h swaps. I work a full 40, as does my wife and we have bills and I'm really bad at saving money, so a swap is out the question. I'm gonna get all my bolt ons installed and then build the internals.

Here goes:

98 civic ex
d16y8
160k miles
Auto-yes i know auto sucks but a conversion is in place. Working on sourcing all the parts I need,

Thanks
You won't swap the engine but you'll spend all that time and effort swapping the slushbox for a manual?
You do realise it would be so much easier to do a fullswap?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I take back my last post.
I understand you want power out of your civic.
Take it from me, I used to know nothing about making power in civics (i used to not know boost stood for turbo...yeah).
Don't waste your money on a D
If you want to do a swap, there are a lot of great websites to purchase blocks short and long from for decent prices (hmotors comes to mind)
If you haven't done much on a car before, stick with N/A unless you KNOW you wont **** up your motor.
Get yourself a B, drop it in, make it run, and enjoy it for a while.
Get yourself a REAL plan, and start collecting parts and money. In the meantime you'll have that extra fun and not be out thousands of dollars for a few WHP.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh god not this thread again
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

LET THIS THREAD DIE!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member