Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gonna build my d..dont hate please

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseriesboulder
I work a full 40, as does my wife and we have bills and I'm really bad at saving money
you should worry more about paying you bills instead of building your car then!

ENOUGH SAID!!! PWN!

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gonna build my d..dont hate please

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1

ENOUGH SAID!!! PWN!

not really. i didn't say i was broke, just said I'm bad at saving money.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
tHEN HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY
thank you so much!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
So you don't know what drivetrain loss is then.... plus is you'r engine BRAND NEW ? no it's not that rating is from a d16y8 with near zero miles you have 160K i know you'r compression isn't what it was factory rated. so with less compression=less power don't see how im wrong.
Fail
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1

ENOUGH SAID!!! PWN!

Dr Phil has entered the message board
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyak
Fail
What part of that is "fail"...you can't even back it up ! go learn a thing or two before you try and tell me that statemeant is wrong
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dannyak
Fail
Um your "type r" f&r lip= fail

We're w/you Bswapped
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

H2B swap
That is, if you don't want to have to do a ton of work for power returns.
It will just be a beast for you to squeeze into a civic engine bay.
Still do your manual conversion though for the love of all that is holy.
Example: Click me!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did u swap ur sensors onto the skunk 2 tb. If so did u re-calibrate tps?
But I agree h22 or b series all the way.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could probably piece together an okay turbo kit to net you about 200whp if you do research and shop around for barely more than the price of the bolt-ons you've bought. Plus d-series engines make good torque with a smaller turbo(150lf-ft).
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the process of looking for a beater civic with a b right now. found a couple of prelude si and some 240sx with skyline motors..lol..but all the civics i find for cheap all have d series motors..lol

Anyway..I found out what the issue was. The guy that did the work, didn't line the notch on the tpd with the 2 little prongs in the tb. I took it off, saw it, had the spread the prongs out a little with a flat head, but my cel went off for the tps, it runs better..have vtec now..lol

Have a top speed of 110 as opposed to the 100 I did before. So i guess thats a plus.

I have been researching a turbo setup and have found a few different turbos on craigslist. Will be doing more research in the mean time.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why are you looking for a whole car instead of just a spare block to build?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'll have 2 vehicles. And i was looking at f series swaps but they look very expensive.

What would a good h or f block and head be??

I like the single cams.. Lol
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

F22C's, but getting ahold of one of those would be stupid expensive, it would be easier to get the engine + the S2000 it came in for a better (more expected) price.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by purgat0ry
F22C's, but getting ahold of one of those would be stupid expensive, it would be easier to get the engine + the S2000 it came in for a better (more expected) price.
What makes the f22c that much better? And j don't want something stupid expensive. Would like to find a block and head for maybe 1k or less and do a bottom up rebuild. Would like to stay na but it looks like boost is the way I'll be going.

Side note: how doable is twin spools? I'm thinking of one feeding another. In theory couldn't I have boost from maybe 2k to recline?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's hardly Any relation(besides the letter) between accord f's and S2k f's. Also the accord is an sohc while the s2k is dohc...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
There's hardly Any relation(besides the letter) between accord f's and S2k f's. Also the accord is an sohc while the s2k is dohc...
I'm might stay with sohc. I thought I made a comment about it higher up the thread. Thats why I didn't expect to find something expensive.

Just want something build able but for relatively good price. And the dual spool idea is for my d16y8.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to plan better. You're about as all over the place with the engine choice as you were with the whole N/A fiasco.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm might stay with sohc. I thought I made a comment about it higher up the thread. Thats why I didn't expect to find something expensive.

Just want something build able but for relatively good price. And the dual spool idea is for my d16y8.
How many other people have seen run two turbo's on here? There's your answer for how "doable" it is. If you have the proper components you should be able to achieve boost from about 2k to redline with one turbo.

Anyway's i'm failing to see the point of this thread. You building a D-series like the title says? If you want to build something cheap, go buy a d-series, build it, and drop it in one weekend. & Honeslty i think you would come out ahead to sell your auto and just buy a car thats already manual. goodluck
Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Twin-scroll turbocharger designs have two exhaust gas inlets divided by split walls inside the turbine housing, with both gas passages controlled by a waste-gate. A twin-scroll turbo recovers even more energy from the exhaust than a single-scroll turbocharger thanks to a divided manifold. The twin-scroll design separates the cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other resulting in improved pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine.

For example, at the start of the intake stroke of cylinder one, and when both the intake and exhaust valves of cylinder one are open (valve overlap period), cylinder three already starts its exhaust stroke with the exhaust valve open. If the exhaust passages of cylinder one and three were connected, the exhaust gas pulse from cylinder three would increase the back pressure of cylinder one. This would reduce the induction of the fresh air and increase the amount of hot residual gases inside the cylinder. However, with the twin-scroll turbocharger setup, this interference is minimized.

The result of this superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design leads to better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder. In fact, with more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side. At the same time, drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases help pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. Maximum boost from the turbocharger is 17.4 psi.

The twin-scroll turbocharger design has several other advantages over traditional, single-scroll turbocharging systems, including:
Improved combustion efficiency
Low engine-speed efficiency
Kinetic exhaust gas energy is not wasted or trapped
Cooler cylinder temperatures
Lower exhaust temperatures
Leaner air/fuel ratio

twin scroll does NOT mean twin turbo^ unless OP actually is thinking of running a TT set up with his current understanding of turbos and engines
Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You need to plan better. You're about as all over the place with the engine choice as you were with the whole N/A fiasco.
I know. Plans change..and then change again.

I'm thinking of 1 of 3 things.

1: Boost my d. Manual swap.

2:Try to swap my auto for someones manual.

3: Find a good, build able, SOHC motro and build the ever loving **** out of it. Maybe for boost, maybe not. I'd like to stay N/A since it'll keep the cost down on the build.

Would like an easy swap. Something that is just drop in would be awesome.I know nothing ever "drops in".

Originally Posted by EGxBoostFiend
How many other people have seen run two turbo's on here? There's your answer for how "doable" it is. If you have the proper components you should be able to achieve boost from about 2k to redline with one turbo.

Anyway's i'm failing to see the point of this thread. You building a D-series like the title says? If you want to build something cheap, go buy a d-series, build it, and drop it in one weekend. & Honeslty i think you would come out ahead to sell your auto and just buy a car thats already manual. goodluck
The point was for me to build my D16Y8 for 200hp but that got called off and now I'm gonna (see above) and call it a day. Havent made my mind up yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Twin-scroll turbocharger designs have two exhaust gas inlets divided by split walls inside the turbine housing, with both gas passages controlled by a waste-gate. A twin-scroll turbo recovers even more energy from the exhaust than a single-scroll turbocharger thanks to a divided manifold. The twin-scroll design separates the cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other resulting in improved pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine.

For example, at the start of the intake stroke of cylinder one, and when both the intake and exhaust valves of cylinder one are open (valve overlap period), cylinder three already starts its exhaust stroke with the exhaust valve open. If the exhaust passages of cylinder one and three were connected, the exhaust gas pulse from cylinder three would increase the back pressure of cylinder one. This would reduce the induction of the fresh air and increase the amount of hot residual gases inside the cylinder. However, with the twin-scroll turbocharger setup, this interference is minimized.

The result of this superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design leads to better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger's turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder. In fact, with more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side. At the same time, drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases help pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. Maximum boost from the turbocharger is 17.4 psi.

The twin-scroll turbocharger design has several other advantages over traditional, single-scroll turbocharging systems, including:
Improved combustion efficiency
Low engine-speed efficiency
Kinetic exhaust gas energy is not wasted or trapped
Cooler cylinder temperatures
Lower exhaust temperatures
Leaner air/fuel ratio

twin scroll does NOT mean twin turbo^ unless OP actually is thinking of running a TT set up with his current understanding of turbos and engines
I am.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread= needs to be locked
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread= needs to be locked
Damn homie. Cut me some slack.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn homie. Cut me some slack.
A twin turbo set up isn't even practical on a 4cyl engine....

Quick Reply: gonna build my d..dont hate please