Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

full tank of gas on 120K??? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full tank of gas on 120miles??? WTF!

damn... continuing woes to the saga... here's the link to the old problems...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1236085

not really sure what was wrong with it, but a buddy of mines suggested that I drill a hole in the part of the fuel rail where the fuel line hooks up to. Kinda like in aftermarket fuel rails. Well for some reason that made the car run. But now it runs rich as hell. you could probably flame up the exhaust fumes. that and a full tank of gas in just 120k...
today i tried hooking up a b&m fpr to it. when its closed completely, the car doesn't start. when it's opened up completely, it runs like its not getting enough gas. when I try to rev it, it just bogs out. put the old fpr back in, and revs fine.
other symptoms, motor runs like crap. definetly not gsr like. on the interstate i'm at 3800 rpms going 70mph. i know that's not right.

heres the setup
99 cx
completely stock b18c obdI
obdI p72
evasive motorsports conversion harness
gsr fuel pump

help me out.... what's up with my car???

Modified by bogus_ek at 10:54 PM 7/18/2005
Old 07-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Electrician

None of what you just said made sense.

Questions:

1. Why did you drill a hole in your fuel rail?

2. What does the sentence "well for some reason that made my car run" mean?

3. What does the sentence "that and a full tank of gas in just 120k" mean?

Have you checked the timing? Why do you have a FPR for a bone stock engine? Why not use the stock regulator and be done with it?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

120 kilometers?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

usually 120k means 120,000
Old 07-17-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

I assume he meant 120 miles being that he's from WI, I don't know of any US states that use the metric system...
Old 07-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (_Cyclone_)

Well Im also from Wisconsin and we DO NOT use the metric system as much as I would like to, its a lot easier to use IMO.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well Im also from Wisconsin and we DO NOT use the metric system as much as I would like to, its a lot easier to use IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed 100%... what the **** is a yard anyways? (spoken like a true Canadian)
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 PM

yes wtf is a yard?
lol

i mean was it the size of someones yard?

and some dude was like man my wall is about 2 and a half of jims yard.. ??? lol

metrix owns j00
Old 07-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Morning Call)

Did you ever get your timing issue sorted out? If you are using a standard timing light, it needs to light up the red marks - not the white mark. That is severly retarded timing right there.

But yeah - you need to answer DeeMeeTree's questions cuz' yours aren't making much sense.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: full tank of gas on 120K??? WTF! (bogus_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the interstate i'm at 3800 rpms going 70mph. i know that's not right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on the tranny gearing. the engine speed at a certain vehicle speed does not depend on the engine condition at all, at least with a manual tranny

either it's right and you're not really sure what the rpm should be for that mph, or your tach/speedometer could be off
Old 07-18-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

ok... sorry about the confusion. let me clear some stuff up.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">None of what you just said made sense.

Questions:

1. Why did you drill a hole in your fuel rail?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i drilled a hole in the fuel rail as in the following picture.

so i know quality sucks, but look at where the fuel line hooks up. there is a hole there. well on the stock gsr rail, there is no hole. for some reason though, after we drilled the hole and hooked everything back up. the car ran. now it's still not problem solved, but its a lot better than how the car was before drilling the hole.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. What does the sentence "well for some reason that made my car run" mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so it made my car run, meaning i could actually drive it, vs. it bogging and choking out everytime i just tried to rev it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. What does the sentence "that and a full tank of gas in just 120k" mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, i meant to say that a 120 mile trip which before took about a quarter tank of gas is now taking a whole tank of gas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked the timing? Why do you have a FPR for a bone stock engine? Why not use the stock regulator and be done with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have checked timing. over and over again. when i shoot it w/ timing gun, if i jump the service connector, then everything runs as it should on the red mark. but once i disconnect the service connector then it lines on the white mark. severly retarted... I know but i haven't been able to figure out why the car is running like that. and no one seems to be able to give me any suggestions as to how to correct that.

as for the fpr. i was getting horrible gas mileage, and i know i was running stupid rich, so i tried putting a B&M fpr on there to lean it out. however, as i stated even with the b&m completely opened up, it seemed as if the car wasn't getting enough gas. everytime i revved... it would just bog and choke out as like in my original problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TekSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

depends on the tranny gearing. the engine speed at a certain vehicle speed does not depend on the engine condition at all, at least with a manual tranny

either it's right and you're not really sure what the rpm should be for that mph, or your tach/speedometer could be off</TD></TR></TABLE>

my gf's car runs a gsr tranny also, when she's going 70 on the interstate she's barely past 3000 rpms. that is how i know mine is not right. I think this might be due to the fact that the timing is so retarded. the car seems to have to work extra hard just to be at normal operating conditions but once again, i can't seem to pin what is causing that.

hope everything makes more sense.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM

ttt
Old 07-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bogus_ek)

You can't just slap on a FPR without a gauge.

I would have that installed first.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (moto1320)

^^^^ I fully agree. You fuel press. is prolly so high, your running very rich.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (Bond)

i'm in the process of getting a fuel pressure gauge... i tried the b&m one to just see if i could lean it out. what doesn't make any sense is how come w/ the b&m regulator opened completely, it seems as if the car isn't getting enough gas. it just chokes out everytime you try to rev it.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm in the process of getting a fuel pressure gauge... i tried the b&m one to just see if i could lean it out. what doesn't make any sense is how come w/ the b&m regulator opened completely, it seems as if the car isn't getting enough gas. it just chokes out everytime you try to rev it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because it isn't. Tightening the nut lowers the diaphragm and builds fuel pressure. Opening it completely lets all of your fuel dump out the return system.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your tranny sounds like a B16 tranny. Thats me right there, 4500+rpm at 120km/h aka 75mph. Also what happens, when you unplug the vacuum line coming off the top of your fuel pressure regulator? Does the idle raise up a little? When you do that, it is signaling Wide Open Throttle to your ECU, which means it is electronically richening(?) your a/f mixture. Once you get the guage, you'll know what psi you have, but I am guessing thats not your problem. Does your revs fall fast, or do they wind down smoothly? Thats a fuel problem too. WHat happened to the stock fuel rail? Swap back to a stock one, then you can isolate areas better.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: (DjGuamstyles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjGuamstyles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your tranny sounds like a B16 tranny. Thats me right there, 4500+rpm at 120km/h aka 75mph. Also what happens, when you unplug the vacuum line coming off the top of your fuel pressure regulator? Does the idle raise up a little? When you do that, it is signaling Wide Open Throttle to your ECU, which means it is electronically richening(?) your a/f mixture. Once you get the guage, you'll know what psi you have, but I am guessing thats not your problem. Does your revs fall fast, or do they wind down smoothly? Thats a fuel problem too. WHat happened to the stock fuel rail? Swap back to a stock one, then you can isolate areas better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you unplug the FPR the idle goes up because there's essentially a vacuum leak, unless you block the tube (which is what you're supposed to do when you test it or adjust it.) If it's unplugged, the FPR is basically doing what it does when it's at WOT, however the mixture doesn't richen electronically, it richens mechanically because there's more pressure behind the injectors causing more fuel to be sprayed each time an injector is opened. The only thing the computer sees is slightly different signals from the narrowband O2.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (_Cyclone_)

it's a fuel or timing issue ... just check everything that has to do with it..