Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Problems

Yeah, so I throw a CEL occasionally when I start the car and run it w/in the first 5 min of starting it (not letting it warm up completely) - code's 43, fuel supply system. Changed the fuel filter, sock fuel filter on the pump, no change, at full warm-up I'm getting ~44psi (I think helms calls for ~43-~47).

So I figure the diaphram on the fuel pressure regulator is old - it's rubber, thing's probably cracking 'n getting hard to move 'n stuff - not opening up all the way from the getko and throwing the CEL for insufficient fuel pressure. Car's not breaking up - but a 40psi will throw the CEL and not have any misses or breakups or anything.

So I pick up a FPR at a parts store - it didn't come w/ a gasket, so I had to wait awhile - whatever. Just went to install it today.

So I install it and start it up - right off the bat I know something's wrong. It's idling at ~300 RPM and sputtering like it's running on 3 cyl, it's RPM hunting, smells like fuel - it sounds like a dragster - straight up - no difference. So I take it for a drive - RPM note is 50x sharper (indicating it's running rich), more "popping" in the exhaust on the clutch (another indication that it's running rich), struggling above 3k - hesitating, not acting right..but a bit more powerful...anywayz (this trip was just around the block btw).

I check the fuel pressure when I'm home and it's running 72psi - 68 at WOT near redline. Now that's a serious problem. So I say "fu8k" and figure if it's running 70 psi it's g2 be rich as **** - so I probably ate the plugs, then I pulled plugs 1 and 2...

Now I've been told by my g/f multiple times that I jump to conclusions but based on this DEEP analysis I figured 3 and 4 were probably toasted as well.

I checked the FPR god knows how many times (part #) and it's for a Z6 - everything is stock. I figure it's not the right fuel pressure regulator - but it is. It's not Honda OEM though - just OEM, non-adjustable, for the Z6.

I guess what it comes down to is do you think it's a faulty FPR or do you think i got shafted and got the wrong one (even though they checked the part # 20,000 times). Anybody have any similar experiences? Here's some pictures of some stuff.

No major external differences...

And after the old one's back on it's back running normally again...no sputtering, idle's back up to ~800, runs fine, etc.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Pressure Problems (Syndacate)

i would say its a default product.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure Problems (abusedhusband)

That's what I'm thinking.

Damn store won't except returns and it cost $107~.

Though they also sell an adjustable FPR for the Z6 for 39.99 which is kinda fishy .

Anybody else have any ideas?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it run fine now?

i suggest installing an OEM fpr and getting some fresh plugs.

sounds like a really fishy problem
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM

that sux.... so it runs fine now with the old one back in?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure Problems (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it run fine now?

i suggest installing an OEM fpr and getting some fresh plugs.

sounds like a really fishy problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, I think something's off w/ this damn thing. ~73psi isn't normal .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that sux.... so it runs fine now with the old one back in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but the diaphram doesn't open all the way until the engine heat gets to it so it starts failing on the fuel pressure if I drive w/o it getting to standard operating temperature first. I g2 put new plugs in it - but it's obviously not worth it until I get the fuel problem fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for an answer... you pretty much just nailed all of my symptons on the head. My car idles so low it almost looks as if its resting on the needle, I smell gas, **** pops at idle, and lags like hell around 3k like its overheating. I hope you find out the problem Syndacate GL
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure Problems (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for an answer... you pretty much just nailed all of my symptons on the head. My car idles so low it almost looks as if its resting on the needle, I smell gas, **** pops at idle, and lags like hell around 3k like its overheating. I hope you find out the problem Syndacate GL</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the problem is that it's pushing ~73psi at the rail when the Z6 helms calls for ~42-~47. It's running hella rich - that's why it ate my plugs.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i would say so... #'s almost doubled. I just picked up my Helms so Im trying to educate myself, I understand lean/rich just am clueless as to what would cause that problem.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM

i would seriously talk with the parts store you bought it at... 72 psi isnt what you paid for.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would seriously talk with the parts store you bought it at... 72 psi isnt what you paid for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did - I went there today - he called up the company - they said it's the right part #. I bought a B&M fuel choker today, hopefully I can use the 70 and choke it down to 40 w/ that thing.

Looks like this:

I have no idea where it goes or how it goes on - never seen anything like it - so I'll screw with that tomorrow, see if w/ the 70psi FPR and that lil trinket I can get it down to 45 or so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn i would say so... #'s almost doubled. I just picked up my Helms so Im trying to educate myself, I understand lean/rich just am clueless as to what would cause that problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ECU fuel tables tuning errors or an injector jammed "open" is the most common way to run rich (that I've seen) assuming ur car's "stock" (like w/o missing links 'n IAT tricks 'n such). Another common ways to run rich are too high fuel pressure (a lot of idiots crank up the fuel pressure thinking it'll give 'em more power - and it does, a bit, if it's only up a bit, but it chews up spark plugs).

On a carbed engine it's different, there's an A/F screw - it's easier (it works).
Old 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Very nice... ty for the information Syndacate . I guess my injectors would be something to check also.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

that fpr is the shitty kind but it works. you have to cut your factory one and install the fpr over it. it sandwiches it.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (abusedhusband)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abusedhusband &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that fpr is the shitty kind but it works. you have to cut your factory one and install the fpr over it. it sandwiches it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's what I heard, but screw it.

It cost 107~ for the new one (that's throwing 70psi) and it cost me 49.99 + tax came to 57~ for that "modifier" kind...

16740-P05-A01 REGULATOR ASSY., PRESSURE $78.64 $18.44

I'm already in for twice as much as honda wants for an OEM one - I want this one to work...at least then I know I didn't completely throw my money into the fire...