Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front lca nut broke. help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front lca nut broke. help

When I was removing my front lcas the nut that's welded on inside broke. How do I go about removing these now and later reinstalling it in a way that I won't have to worry about it doing it to me again
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: front lca nut broke. help

You can apparently drill a hole, hold it in place screw the bolt in and weld the nut on.

I simply got a new subframe
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looked to me as though the bolt just went through the subframe and bolted in the body.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/CaptiveNut.htm

Same idea, remove subframe, weld the nut back, put subframe back. Or buy another subframe.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a decently priced subframe. But its from a car with a power steering rack. Will it work with a manual rack?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, just use yours and its fine. I'm pretty sure they bolt up the same way
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The sub frames are different between the manual and the power assisted. They are even different at the motor mount between auto and manual trans as well... The manual subframes are rather pricey, if you can find them. This is why I stayed with the power assist rack and just replaced my rack when I had to redo my power steering.

You didn't specify which year and model of Civic you were talking about, so I can not offer further advice without getting this information.

As for your actual problem, if the bolt only goes into that nut, just knock the nut off and find the same size and tack it onto the sub-frame and carry on. Far cheaper than sourcing a new subframe, and less of a hassle trying to find one that isn't ravaged on Fleabay.

Originally Posted by PrettyMuchBoned
Yeah, just use yours and its fine. I'm pretty sure they bolt up the same way
This is incorrect, and you should know better by now.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JoeBlue
The sub frames are different between the manual and the power assisted. They are even different at the motor mount between auto and manual trans as well... The manual subframes are rather pricey, if you can find them. This is why I stayed with the power assist rack and just replaced my rack when I had to redo my power steering.

You didn't specify which year and model of Civic you were talking about, so I can not offer further advice without getting this information.

As for your actual problem, if the bolt only goes into that nut, just knock the nut off and find the same size and tack it onto the sub-frame and carry on. Far cheaper than sourcing a new subframe, and less of a hassle trying to find one that isn't ravaged on Fleabay.

This is incorrect, and you should know better by now.
It is a 92 CX hatch. Its the bolt farthest to the outside of the bracket around the bushing at the rear of the front lower control arm. I haven't had a chance to look at it good but from what I saw in my hurry to get out of the rain this morning the subframe is only about 3/4 inch thick right there so the capture nut would be in the body not the subframe. If that's true where do I cut to get into it? By the pedals?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The LCA bolts entirely to the subframe. I took mine out to put control arms on, they do not connect to the body at all.

I didnt think the Manual rack bolted up different. I will take a look at my manual steering car tomorrow and let you know if the bolts are in the same holes. I sourced my replacement subframe from an Integra, so I got a nicer sway bar and a brace. I dont think they're different but like I said ill check it out
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you had to, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the powered rack (prolly around 50$), and the pump (maybe another 50$ maybe 100$ at most for a guaranteed one). That way you have a power steering upgrade.

the only other thing to my knowledge that you need is a crank pully that has a belt for it, and the linkage for the steering column
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK after more research I found that a manual rack can go on a ps subframe. It just takes some modifying of the mounts. So I think I'm going to go that route
Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I knew how to upload a picture I could show proof. But I went and did some cutting since my floor needs replaced anyways and 2 bolts from the LCA do bolt into capture nuts in the body not in the subframe
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's strange, I suppose your model is different from my sedan. I had the subframe out with the entire front suspension minus the struts all completely bolted together