Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting...

I got a manual rack for the 94ex... swapped it out and I got the bracket for the manual steering rack (that goes on the passanger side). It does not seem to line up with the holes on my subframe.

Anyone who has done this swap, whats the deal with the passanger side bracket?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting... (nickzed20)

It should line up.

This has been done countless times before and it's supposed to bolt right up. Honda wouldn't change the mounting points on the manual or power rack and both the subframes are the same so it should bolt on 100%.

Try to align it better
Old 03-26-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting... (Mr.RHTuner)

ill check it again... but using the bracket for the manual rack it seems like the holes are too far apart on my subframe.

maybe i am on crack!

thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It should line up.

This has been done countless times before and it's supposed to bolt right up. Honda wouldn't change the mounting points on the manual or power rack and both the subframes are the same so it should bolt on 100%.

Try to align it better </TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess it depends on the rack / subframe??? because I swapped the manual rack from a '93 del Sol S in to my '93 Si hatch, and no the holes don't line up. The swap came with the Sol subframe so I checked both brackets and yes, the subframes are different. I left my Si subframe on and machined a custom bracket for the new rack.

You can also make a spacer out of scrap metal to fill the gap of the PS bracket / manual rack setup.

But if you want the whole factory setup, I still have that Sol manual subframe and I'm dying to get rid of!! Seriously, cover shipping and you can have it.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting... (SGVridgerunner)

ill think about comming to get it... just need to save up for gas.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It should line up....it's supposed to bolt right up.... both the subframes are the same so it should bolt on </TD></TR></TABLE>

INCORRECT. the subframes are different. you have to make brackets or get creative to get either rack to work properly.
on the contrary, the p/s DC2 rack bolts in, and has a faster ratio then both.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was checking in on how to do this conversion also. But whenever i call my wherehouses to get a deal on a rack they tell me that a manual rack wont fit in a car that had a power rack. The reason they said it wouldnt fit is beacause the manual rack isnt as long as the power rack and also where the steering shaft hooks up the manual rack has a shorter coupler that it wouldnt reach the shaft.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Manual steering rack vs. Power rack mounting... (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

INCORRECT. the subframes are different. you have to make brackets or get creative to get either rack to work properly.
on the contrary, the p/s DC2 rack bolts in, and has a faster ratio then both. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Incorrect?
what the expletive are you talking about?

My friend JUST took out a CX manual steering rack from an EG and put it into his EX/SI Coupe and the holes didn't line up because of the bracket being off and not having some rubber bushing, so he got a peice of rubber, put it into the tracket and was able to bolt it down...and *gasp* IT WORKS
Old 03-29-2006, 03:05 PM

Two words: Duct Tape
Old 03-29-2006, 04:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Incorrect?
what the expletive are you talking about?

My friend JUST took out a CX manual steering rack from an EG and put it into his EX/SI Coupe and the holes didn't line up because of the bracket being off and not having some rubber bushing, so he got a peice of rubber, put it into the tracket and was able to bolt it down...and *gasp* IT WORKS </TD></TR></TABLE>

using the proper bracket (the manual rack's bracket) it does not line up...

we are talking 100% bolt up. i am asking if it bolts up the same on a subframe from a manual rack car as it would from a powersteering rack car, not if a piece of rubber will solve my problem.

KTHX.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickzed20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

using the proper bracket (the manual rack's bracket) it does not line up...

we are talking 100% bolt up. i am asking if it bolts up the same on a subframe from a manual rack car as it would from a powersteering rack car, not if a piece of rubber will solve my problem.

KTHX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if the manual bracket dosen't line up then use the power steering bracket.
like I said, my friend just did this it and it works. I'll take a ******* stab at it then...maybe the manual rack WONT work with the manual bracket.

I offered some suggestion to this issue, go expletive yourself if you don't like the response and figure it out on your own then
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM

calm your *** down pumpkin pie.

i am simply pushing on you because you had to come in here giving this guy attitude for answering my question properly. read the question next time and lose the attitude.