Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use????

Wow, Its been a looooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time since i was last on this board.
Hows is goin guys? I sold my turbo hatchie almost a year ago and the kid who bought it wants to continue having me do all the work on it!!!

Anyways heres the scoop,

d16z6 Greddy turbo, Greddy intercooler.

On hot days, over 85 degrees, the car starts to get really really warm, dont have an numerical temp gauge but just the factory hot/cold needle. It starts to move up past 3/4 and sometimes all the way into the red. The engine is getting really hot.

Its always done this since i owned the car too. I have replace the head gasket with a MR. Gasket d16 turbo gasket and turbo install was done correctly, I understand that the turbo charger will create extreme underhood temps and the Greddy FMIC that i have will restrict some of the airflow to the radiator.

I remembered somewhere that the integra full width radiator will work in the EG.

I know that the factory 1/2 radiator just isnt enough to provide adequate cooling in extreme ambient temperatures.

I just need to know what FULL WIDTH radiator I need to help cool the engine better. The kid who bought the car from me is really taking care of it, Even better than me I think!! He just wants to make sure that the car is reliable enough to drive from Indiana to West Virginia this summer.

He is giving the car to me for a whole 10 days!!, I cant wait, I've missed my little hatchie soo much.

Oh yeah, I sold my hatch so i could get a Jeep!!

I still like imports but my current passion is with BIG 4x4's.

I'm probably gonna buy my wife another Hatchie for a work vehicle. Our 03 Ram with a HEMI only gets 13MPG.

My turbo hatchie still reliably gets 30+mpg!!

As always guys any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (hondafrk)

well you can get a dual core raditor. Also there could be air in the lines or the water pump cold be failing. You may also want to check the thermostat. If its haveing this problem. also check and see if the fan is turning on, it could just be that.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (sohcvtec1995)

I know its not any of those problems, NO air in the lines, new water pump, fan is turning on, New Spoon sports t-stat 160degree i think,

Its all about radiator size,

I need to know what full width radiator will work in the EG
Old 06-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (hondafrk)

I know a CRX came with the radiator all the way across...I'm not certain it will work but I would think it would....
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem in my turbo'ed hatch. I just put a koyo radiator in mine and it hasnt overheated once since then. You can get one from extremepowerouters.com (also his HT screenname) and I also seen another thread from a different company with them on sale in the FS forum. MAKE SURE THAT YOU BUY A RADIATOR CAP THAT WILL FIT!!! I had to ride around for several days without the right cap, filling the radiator after every drive......sucks!!! You can get one from Auto Zone or Advanced for like $15 or you can get the spoon style for 35 ( I think the spoon adds like 50hp ). I did a little research and I picked koyo!!!

Just my .02 worth
Old 06-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (allanonjj)

Wont any full width integra radiators work or did the teg only come with the 1/2 rads, like the civic
Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM

The integra came with the radiator that ran all across the board...not the "half" style radiator like the civic...I think the integra radiator would work considering how much similar the integra and civic are chassis wise....But I've never switched one out from a teg...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (95d15red)

you can use the integra radiator but u need to make custom brackets on the bottom and top or you can just use a del sol dal core radiator. My Sohc vtec Ek has a greddy kit at 7psi And I have the stock radiator and its been 95-100 degree weather for the past two weeks and my temp stays below half. Definely check the other stuff first before purchasing a radiator.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally I'M back!!! Need help overheating, What radiator to use???? (TurboEG215)

So does the civic rad only have 1 core?

The delsol rad will probably bolt right in then?

Im lookin into the aluminum racing radiators for sale on ebay right now, they are selling for about $170 shipped.
Would that maybe be a good idea?