Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

extremely frustrated ... vibration in steering wheel with proper alignment and wheels balanced

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extremely frustrated ... vibration in steering wheel with proper alignment and wheels balanced

i posted this is the suspension forum but still havent had any luck

ok well here the story i have a 98 ex coupe. took a b series swap i had in my 98 hatch and put it in the coupe and at the same time swapped out the suspension with an extra set of koni yellows and tein springs i had in the garage. i have had this vibration in the steering wheel at speeds between 60-75. have had 2 seperate sets of rims and tire on it that are both properly balanced, i have rechecked the axel bolts numerous times, and the car has been to 3 placed to have the alignment verified. tie rods, ball joint, ect all look good. no one in my area is confident dealing with modified cars .... (this last place told me the motor was not in the engine bay straight.... this should give you an idea of the lack of competent people around here).

anyone have any ideas
Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: extremely frustrated ... vibration in steering wheel with proper alignment and wheels balanced (

hmm i have this same exact problem...
place i went to told me my caster on the front right was off
when i look at it it looks clocked at 11 and 5 where as my driver side is at 12 and 6
i dunno if thats your problem but (not to hijack a thread) does anyone know what to do about this?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: extremely frustrated ... vibration in steering wheel with proper alignment and wheels balanced (

just took the wheel of to triple check all suspension bolts were tight .... put the wheel back one and now im noticing low speed shakes when cruising even at 30-35
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleedblue94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just took the wheel of to triple check all suspension bolts were tight .... put the wheel back one and now im noticing low speed shakes when cruising even at 30-35 </TD></TR></TABLE>

for someone to tell you the motor isn't sitting straight, i'm going to take it you didn't do the swap yourself.

have you checked you motor mounts? they will cause vibration if cracked or torn. that will also expain why the motor isn't sitting straight.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM

double check your mounts are on right...then i would make sure your tire pressure is the same on each wheel. I had 3 tires with 28 psi and 1 with 19 psi and i had vibration from 70mph and above
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took the swap right out of my hatch and put it in the coupe ..... both 98s ...yes i did it myself as i have doen ten or so other swaps without issues .... mounts all have poly inserts in them. everything was simply tranfered from the hatch to the coupe.

the garage that said the motor wasnt in straight was inspecting the alignment....
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleedblue94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vibration in steering wheel with proper alignment and wheels balanced</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got the same problem. I installed a set of used tire last weekend and got the guy to put the camber worn side on the outside. Everything is properly balanced and I get vibration.

My only explanation is uneven tire wear since I notice there is less vibration as I drive(wear down the tires)
Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not the problem ... i have a set of camber worn tires on sl;ips and a set of new cooper tires on heliums and it does this with both sets
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw i just had all 8 front studs changed out as well in case there was a bent stud... took the wheels off today to triple check the suspesion bolts were all tight and now im noticing a vibration 30-35 .... im gonna go insane
Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem...i got new axles...problem solved
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikes2000civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same problem...i got new axles...problem solved</TD></TR></TABLE>hmmm you know thats the direction im leaning at this point
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM

if you're using aftermarket wheels, do they have hubcentric rings?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a few things to check. 1st you said the tie rods, and ball joints look okay. Did you actually test them for play? I chased a problem for 5 or 6 months and 6 alignment shops missed a bad lower ball joint. Kept telling me it was a bad brake rotor or caliper hanging up. 2nd Make sure that the brake rotors are not warped and calipers aren't hanging up. 3rd jack the car up take off the wheels off. Have a friend start the car put it in gear and turn the wheel back and forth look at the drive shafts see if they are shaking, binding, or making noise.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

starting to believe its an axle issue
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i had that problem im my eg before. it turned out that my rim was bent due to when i got a flat in this construction zone. i bought a whole new set of nippon spoon rims. the right is smooth now. my 93 gsr which i had before my eg had that problem too. this was do to the front hub bearing.

try a whole new set of rims. i noticed you said you had two sets. but yeah, check your hub bearings, shake the disc brakes and see if they move. if they're loose your in for some new ones. good luck.

oh i balanced my rims and tires on my eg like 10 freaken times. never went away till i bought a new set of rims.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thanks ... ive tried both sets of wheels numerous time and had them rebalanced and checked ....

already tried shaking the wheel assemblied and nothing moved .... everything is solid .... im gonna make phone calls tomorrow looking for a decent price on some oem axles
Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleedblue94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah thanks ... ive tried both sets of wheels numerous time and had them rebalanced and checked ....

already tried shaking the wheel assemblied and nothing moved .... everything is solid .... im gonna make phone calls tomorrow looking for a decent price on some oem axles</TD></TR></TABLE>

but if the wheels you tried don't have hubcentric rings, your wheels may not be perfectly centered on the hub, which can cause vibrations at high speeds.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a sligtly bent axel.... I found out when i was chasing a noise under the car and had it on stand. I had my girl friend sit in it and put it in drive then I grabbed the axel lightly and let it spin in my grip.... have some one start pushing the gas and you should feel if the axel is bent or not... It worked for me so GL
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i understand that, but the issue is now noticable present at lower speeds as well and at acceleraton which are signs of inner joints going out .... i have a set of oem wheels on one of my cars and i will try hose out to ... but im almost certain its an axle issue at this point
Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when u really get on it...in the upper rpms it should vibrate alot..if it does then axles.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikes2000civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u really get on it...in the upper rpms it should vibrate alot..if it does then axles.</TD></TR></TABLE>hey i sent you an im on aim