Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Extreme Vibration inside car and engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Vibration inside car and engine

I was looking at a car that i was planning on buying the other day and i nottice alot of things about the car that i was concern about. It was a EG 94 i think with a b18C swap. The Swap seems clean and the vehicle was funny operational. But the engine vibrated alot, i was looking at the motor mount and it was shaking. the mount was stock off from the B18C. The car also had a idel. it would idel for a little bit at 900 then moves up to 1500'ish, and stays there. Sitting inside the car, i felt the vibration and i was curious to what could be causing. The guy who was selling it was a nice enough to let us look at it for almost an hour, he said it needs tuning to stop the ideling. But i have never gotten anything tuned before so i don't have to much knowledge. The only thing i see that could be causing the extreme vibration is the mount. but. any other suggestion? thanx. If i left out any valuable info, let me know. thanx alot guys!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Extreme Vibration inside car and engine (djeclipzjv)

i meant. FULLY OPERATIONAL> sorri.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 AM

I did some research. some people were having the idling problem with there engines as well. The car did have a skunk intake manifold and people said to fix this FIT part. i will try that if i do purchase the car. but does tuning the engine have to do anything wit stopping the ideling and shaking?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 AM

might need to upgrade the mounts
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djeclipzjv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did some research. some people were having the idling problem with there engines as well. The car did have a skunk intake manifold and people said to fix this FIT part. i will try that if i do purchase the car. but does tuning the engine have to do anything wit stopping the ideling and shaking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might need to upgrade the mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no reason why the stock mounts, unless torn or damged, would let the motor shake when it's just idling. Small vibrations, yes, but not physically move.

AND no, a stock engine with idle problems does not need a "tune" unless there are really aggressive cams installed or a non-stock ECU program is running the car. It needs to be fixed mechanically, not by a so-called tune. Ask him what ECU and/or what program is running the vehicle and have your doubts about purchasing it unless it's fixed before you pay for it.

EDIT: 900 to 1500 sounds like a warm idle transitioning to a cold idle. IACV is calling out to me on this one.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Extreme Vibration inside car and engine (EKcivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKcivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
. IACV is calling out to me on this one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

me too...however i would be weary about a car that vibrates as bad as your painting the picture
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Extreme Vibration inside car and engine (B16b-EJ8)

maybe i did over exaggerate, trust me i wouldn't get the car that is vibrating like crazy. It does not vibrate like a dryer. It just vibrates to where, it isn't crazy. It vibrates to the point that the OIL DIP STICK is wobbling at a fast rate. The mount seems kinda bad, cuz it was like vibrating and sorta.. moving a lil bit as the engine was vibrating. I am really convince that the SKUNK INTAKE MANIFOLD may be causing the idling. He is running OBD 1 wit stock ECU.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKcivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no reason why the stock mounts, unless torn or damged, would let the motor shake when it's just idling. Small vibrations, yes, but not physically move.

AND no, a stock engine with idle problems does not need a "tune" unless there are really aggressive cams installed or a non-stock ECU program is running the car. It needs to be fixed mechanically, not by a so-called tune. Ask him what ECU and/or what program is running the vehicle and have your doubts about purchasing it unless it's fixed before you pay for it.

EDIT: 900 to 1500 sounds like a warm idle transitioning to a cold idle. IACV is calling out to me on this one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there you go
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djeclipzjv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am really convince that the SKUNK INTAKE MANIFOLD may be causing the idling. He is running OBD 1 wit stock ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running a Skunk2 intake manifold on my B18C swap... idles perfectly.

If it really is a stock ECU then that means theres a mechanical issue that is causing the idle problem. BTW, an engine always idles if there is no throttle... if it idles incorrectly, it's called a rough idle.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 AM

well i know the engine is suppose to idel if there is no throttle, i guess u can say its a rough ideling then. cuz its connectd to a Apexi AFC, and the Rev is constant at 1300-1550, . If it is some internal problems, what could it be? bad retainers?, or is it in the Block?. Th anx for the help and support guys
Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djeclipzjv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its connectd to a Apexi AFC, and the Rev is constant at 1300-1550</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not trying to be a dick, but I'd like to point out that 1300-1550 is not constant, it's a fairly sizable range for it to be bouncing up and down within. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the engine internals... something like this is usually attributed to a vacuum leak, or a dirty IACV that isn't opening/closing properly, or a clogged PCV valve, etc. It's something attached to the engine, not necessarily something in the engine.

BTW, this won't cause a bouncing idle, but what is the AFC set to in the 1000-2000 rpm range on narrow throttle?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im thinkin vacuum leaks if its jumping up and down. check for torn vacuum hoses, little black rubber hoses. mine was a bad charcoal canister, so the hoses were all good and it looked good. But when i unplugged the line going to and from the canister and plugged with my hand, fixed idle
Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Extreme Vibration inside car and engine (drumminforev)

DUDE, U GUYS ARE THE BEST. yea. i'm gettin the car. i'll make sure i do sum posting of pics of the car and tell ya guys how i did on fixxing that problem. peace