Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust system?

whats up everyone? ok...i bought a 01' civic lx, 2dr, 5-speed.
-it came with an exhaust(don't know what kind) that sounds really good, so i would like to keep it rather then getting a new one and risk getting that stupid whinning sound.
-i just bought a ram air intake, i believe its made by BOSS. i don't know if anyone has heard of that. but it was only $40(including tax). thing sounds awesome, and has a cool wistle from the suction.
-everything else is stock.
-now i'm thinking of getting a set of headers, and maybe a cat. conv.

heres the question...
-will any headers/cat system i add give me a whinning sound?
-is there a difference really in hp between brands.
-is there a combination i should look out for/look into?

basically, what does everyone recommend?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: exhaust system? (flamega)

the whining sound you're referring to is most likely your intake. it happens no biggie. theyre wont be any whining sound caused by any exhaust manifold or cat.

headers are headers. there isnt any diff in power gains between various manufacturers. dont let them fool you into thinking you're going to get more power than any other product on the market..cuz you just won't considering you're talking about minor bolt ons anyway. the jdm products do however have a larger diameter at the collector which might give you a minimal increase, but its up to you whether or not you want to spend the $$ money for .25" diameter. imo not worth it for mild bolt-ons.

in product choice, get want you want but i'd suggest buying products from a reputable company. stay away from shitty cheap imitation knock-offs ie: ebay headers.

consider where you want to increase power also before you make your choice. since hondas have worthless torque numbers and low end power sucks anyway, i'd say focus on top end pwr by getting a 4-1 header. as far as highflow cat, well thats up to you.. i had a carsound cat on my teg and it worked fine for me.

good luck and welcome to HT

Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust system? (94ls)

no the whinning sound is deffinately the exhaust. you know...when people put just tips on the end of the muffler. the high pitched rattle type sound. yuck. sounds like sh**. no offence if you have a tip. lol.

anyway...you think i should go with a 4-1? no big deal right?

right now i have a factory cat back, i should deffinately upgrade that when i get the headers...huh.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tips don't increase sound. The nasty sound is the actual muffler. Some mufflers sound like ****.

When you get headers, it makes sense to redo your exhaust piping to fit. Sounds like your goal is to just get off the line a little quicker and sound good. Get some DC headers or somthing like that. They are street legal, and that might help you. You sound like one of those kids that peels out when he leaves school , so you probably get pulled over a lot.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust system? (PLANBmotorsports)

look at this guy trying to be funny. for your info, i already did the school thing. i work in boston now and i'm 22. just trying to hook up my car now since i've never had it good with money until now. mind if i ask my questions?

and a tip does cause the car to sound funny. then again you would probably know since you most likely have one on your car.

all kidding aside...you think i'll have to change the whole exhaust set-up to fit the headers? or can i get a catback and headers together to fit the exhaust i already have?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 AM

There not headers. You will only need to have one, therefore its just a header.

Header: go dc-sports because its cheap, it works, and its street legal.

Cat conv.: either go carsound or catco, i hear carsounds a little better. You can buy a direct fit one for like 100$+ for you can get a universal one and get it fitted at a muffler shop which will end up costing about the same amount.

If your exhaust is custom you will ahve a problem, if its something like apexi or greddy that was ment for your car, it usually just takes the same amount of space as stock. your prolly better off buying a universal cat so that you can get it fitted perfectly.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word of advice. Dont worry about the people that poke fun at you. You wont win and it never goes anywhere.

Anyway, Yea some exhausts are designed by fucktards that think that would sound super cool. I dotn understand. I understand the ppl that buy said exhausts even less. Why would you want your car to sound like that?
But yea, headers dont change the sound too much. MAke it a little louder if anything.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust system? (Maverik4k)

[QUOTE=Maverik4k]
There not headers. You will only need to have one, therefore its just a header.

for your info "headers" is perfectly ok to say. thanks though english teacher 101.

Header: go dc-sports because its cheap, it works, and its street legal.

the only reason i don't want to go with DC sport HEADERS is because they have an aluminum look to them. i'm going for the chrome. i want my cars engine to be chrome and blue through-out.

Cat conv.: either go carsound or catco, i hear carsounds a little better. You can buy a direct fit one for like 100$+ for you can get a universal one and get it fitted at a muffler shop which will end up costing about the same amount.

the question isn't about the exhaust though. cause i do believe that the cat that i have is still stock, meaninig that the exhaust that is on my car is fitted for my car. i've seen headers that come down further then others. some come straight down a little bit and then cut off. then there are others that come down and aim back towards the exhaust.
there are some Cats that do that too...either straight or bent to aim up.
-how do i know if the header and cat back are compatible?
-is there any way to know?
QUOTE]