Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong

I just had a new exhuast ran. My freind says i got and exhuast leak. and now it runs all rough and really rich.
At idle instead of like 700 it goes down to about 530prms, i think once i saw it drop down to 490rpms, then jump up to 1200rpms. and on top of this my gas mileage is horrible,I normally could get like 250 to 300 miles per tank, now its about 150to 200 miles per tank.

Could this also be a slight timing problem,
Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong (CleanGreen)

an exhaust leak has nothign to do with these problems

more like primary O2 sensor went bad
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
ballin

Default Re: Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong (CleanGreen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My freind says i got and exhuast leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your friend lied to you more than likely. You can tell an exhaust leak because you will hear a constant whistling kind of sound. And an exhaust leak really doesnt cause that much problems like said before.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong (Chong)

Yea Im gunna agree that doesnt seem to be caused by an exhaust leak. I just had my stock exhaust that got a hole in it and was leaking and the only thing I noticed was an obnoxious noise, nothing else.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 AM

sounds coming from shifter area and you can smell it. Also this shop i had do it, was told to be the best muffler shop in town well its not, they changed my oil pan gasket for me also, cuase i was to lazy to do it myself and dont have a lift to use, and now my oil pan leaks worse than before, what should i do,
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: (CleanGreen)

take that **** back and make them fix the ****
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take it back
Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take it back, make them fix it, and on yur way back home, stop by an auto parts store and get a 2 ton lift for 20 bux and DIY from now on
Old 01-10-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds coming from shifter area and you can smell it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe they forgot to reinstall the o2? that would cause a leak, and the fumes could come up through the shifter. It would also explain the shitty mileage.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

yea i was gunna say did they reinstal the O2 sensor, but thats a pretty big leak the shop should have noticed along with the owner....
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM

I just talked to the guy at the shop he said bring it by, so they can take a look at it. now the last time i bought the oil pan gasket and oil. I should not have to do that again being it was there mistake that they dont know how to do a pan gasket.

Curt
Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just talked to the guy at the shop he said bring it by, so they can take a look at it. now the last time i bought the oil pan gasket and oil. I should not have to do that again being it was there mistake that they dont know how to do a pan gasket.

Curt</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let us know what they do/say. Hopefully they will be 'doing' more than they are 'saying'.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust leak. What else can go wrong (Chong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your friend lied to you more than likely. You can tell an exhaust leak because you will hear a constant whistling kind of sound. And an exhaust leak really doesnt cause that much problems like said before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, my old car had a major exhaust leak. i never even dealt with it. only problem was it made the car loud.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:25 PM
ballin

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe they forgot to reinstall the o2? that would cause a leak, and the fumes could come up through the shifter. It would also explain the shitty mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they forgot to install the o2 sensor you should have a CEL (I believe) and you car will sound like complete ***, almost like open header.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds coming from shifter area and you can smell it. Also this shop i had do it, was told to be the best muffler shop in town well its not, they changed my oil pan gasket for me also, cuase i was to lazy to do it myself and dont have a lift to use, and now my oil pan leaks worse than before, what should i do,</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's about where your O2 Sensor is like everyone said. Take it back to that place or take it somewhere else and fix it.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 AM

I just got back, they said that my os sensor back out just a tad and it was leaking. and about the gasket leak, my sandwich plate for my vtec supply, is leaking bad they said, so i need to redo that. I never put plumbers tape around the threads that go into the block i think that may be the problem, and they said after thats fixed, if there is still a leak they will check out the oil pan gasket.

curt
Old 01-11-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanGreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got back, they said that my os sensor back out just a tad and it was leaking. and about the gasket leak, my sandwich plate for my vtec supply, is leaking bad they said, so i need to redo that. I never put plumbers tape around the threads that go into the block i think that may be the problem, and they said after thats fixed, if there is still a leak they will check out the oil pan gasket.

curt</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, they don't know what they are doing. an oxygen sensor won't back itself out far enough to leak that bad unless it was never tightened in the first place. You should ask them what a vtec supply is, I've never heard of one before. Maybe they meant solenoid, which doesn't need plumbers (teflon?) tape, the bolts just need to be tight.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 AM

im sorry i meant my oil supply for vtec, i have the golden eagle kit. the sandwich plate is leaking against the block, i never used the teflon tape.

curtis