Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Evap solonoid wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap solonoid wiring help

I'm having trouble getting my evap solonoid working on my 96 Civic, which I need to pass emissions inspection.

The engine is an OBD-II converted JDM SiR II B16 with a USDM P72 (year 1998).

I've used an OBD-I conversion cable and a USDM P30 with the same setup, and the evap solonoid works... however if I switch back to the P72 it stops working.

Is there a wiring difference for evap solonoids between OBD-I and II??
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Evap solonoid wiring help (hondapwr)

Bump for help!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Rebump for help
Old 07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 and OBD2 evap purge solenoids are basically the same.

However, how the OBD1 and OBD1 ECU controls the solenoid's opoeration is different.

OBD1 - Solenoid opens at startup or very shortly after start up. This purges fumes from the gas tank. The fumes enter the intake manifold and are consumed by the engine.

OBD2 - Solenoid opens up after the engine has met certain criteria (operating temp, etc.). In an OBD2 setup the solenoid purges the fumes some length of time after the engine has started.

You should be fine with the '98 USDM GS-R ECU in your '96 Civic. What is making you think that it is not working?

-kenji
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Evap solonoid wiring help (kenji)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kenji &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should be fine with the '98 USDM GS-R ECU in your '96 Civic. What is making you think that it is not working?
-kenji </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had the problem for years, but because it takes over 10 miles before the MIL code gets thrown I would just reset the ECU before getting my state emissions inspection. I guess they got wise to that now, because they told me they couldn't test OBD because the computer was recenty reset.

The evap solonoid on the intake manifold makes and audible hiss when it's working, and I don't hear it at all with the OBD-II ECU (that, and I get 450 range MIL codes). I wasn't present when the dealer wired things up for the engine swap so I'm not sure why things work with an OBD-I conversion cable and ECU, but don't work with my OBD-II GSR ECU. The really odd thing is that I tested the two wires connected to the solonoid and found that the wire that was supposed to be ground was not a good ground while the GSR ECU was plugged in.

I re-grounded the wire to the intake manifold last night and the solonoid hisses, which I think is a good sign.

My biggest question now, is how does the ECU know when the evap system is not working??
Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Evap solonoid wiring help

Saw this thread and have a similar question. I am trying to get my car smogged and possibly bar'd(in cali :-( ). i have the right ecu, jdm b16. all cel codes cleared now. i do not have ANY evap emissions equip on the car(never had it cause i bought it that way). i didn't notice this before until i needed to smog it. i am now trying to get all the parts i need to connect the evap system.

my question is should the ecu though code since i do not have the evap system in place? and does anyone have ANY info i can use the setup and connect it to my b16? last question is. is the service manaul for 98-01 integra ok to use for refer on connecting this system?