Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP

I did a search thru both recent and archive and couldnt find the answer i was quite looking for, so....
I need help trying to pinpoint a squeal/whine from my car. The squeal/whine only happens around 2-3Krpms under accleration, and mostly when im getting off first gear and shifting gears. There is no squeal at all during start up, or reving in neutral, only when acclerating. I thought it would be my alternator belt, but the tension feels fine. I re-did it twice. And the Timing Belt and Altenator belt are pretty much brand new. Dont even have 1k miles on them. I tried using some baby powder on the alternator belt but still squealing.

Some specs on car..
93 HB dx w/ B18c1, no ac, no cruise control, use to have powersteering, but hardlines and resovior were removed and rack was looped. Also i have a cai, and skunk2 IM w/ stock gsr tb.

I just need some ideas of what can cause the squealing/whine from the engine bay. The quicker the answer the better cause i really dont feel safe driving and its my daily driver. Thanks everyone in advance if you help me.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (SjCiViCHB)

Try this. Put a dab of motor oil on your belts. Not too much and only at a couple of spots. You can also get one of those anti sqeal (belt dressing) at a local autoparts store. Could it be your timing belt tensioner? Your water pump? I'm just giving you some ideas...
Old 05-18-2003, 05:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (4DeepCivic)

spray some wd40 on the alternator belt (while its running) and see if that cures it. It will only be temporary if it does. Then go to the parts shop and buy some belt dressing.

if that doesn't work then REMOVE the alternator belt completely and give it a whirl around the block. Maybe its bad or dying alternator bearings.

if that doesn't work, maybe your timing belt tensioner is shot. It's kind of like having a shitty bearing on a skateboard.

BUT, if it happens only when accelerating, then maybe its your throwout bearing. when was the clutch last changed?

good luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (SjCiViCHB)

thats crazy, my civic just started doing the same thing recently. it was really bothering me today, everytime i excellerate it has this whine sound, then it goes away after i get going. i think its about 1000-2000 rpms on mine.
i have a sohc vtec with about 60k miles.

since i've owned the car, its always had this other sound at around 2-3k like a belt was slipping, but i've heard other civics sound like this and figured it wasnt that big of a deal.

i guess i'll try belt dressing
Old 05-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (Pritos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spray some wd40 on the alternator belt (while its running) and see if that cures it. It will only be temporary if it does. Then go to the parts shop and buy some belt dressing.

if that doesn't work then REMOVE the alternator belt completely and give it a whirl around the block. Maybe its bad or dying alternator bearings.

if that doesn't work, maybe your timing belt tensioner is shot. It's kind of like having a shitty bearing on a skateboard.

BUT, if it happens only when accelerating, then maybe its your throwout bearing. when was the clutch last changed?

good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill try the belt dressing thing. I hope its not the waterpump, its brand new. And ill look into the timing belt tensioner and the throwout bearing, cause i have no idea when the clutch was last changed. It still feels like it grabs fine though. Thanks alot for the responses guys. And to the guy above me that has the same problem, good luck on it. If you find out what it is, let me know, ill do the same if i find out what my problem was before you.

any more ideas on what it can be?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (Synthesis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synthesis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats crazy, my civic just started doing the same thing recently. it was really bothering me today, everytime i excellerate it has this whine sound, then it goes away after i get going. i think its about 1000-2000 rpms on mine.
i have a sohc vtec with about 60k miles.

since i've owned the car, its always had this other sound at around 2-3k like a belt was slipping, but i've heard other civics sound like this and figured it wasnt that big of a deal.

i guess i'll try belt dressing</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 95 civic hatch with a b18b and mine does the same thing! if you guys cure this, let me know what it was. Thanx!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Squeal/Whine help???Need help ASAP (civicflnum1)

well i jus came back from a shop, and had them look at it, and they found that my lower timing belt cover were missing bolts, and was rubbing against the crank pulley, so they think that might be causing the whine. Now i just need those bolts, anybody have a set of those bolts? ill let you guys know if that fixed my problem. Thanks everyone.