Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine flooded with fuel and now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine flooded with fuel and now won't start

to answer the question about the fuel forget about it has nothing to do with what is going on . Chugging, ruff idle, and smoke are very normal after pouring oil down the cylinders to get the compression numbers back up. If your timing is dead on try to start it again and see if things starts to smooth out, as the oil burns off. You may have to blip the gas a few times to keep it running
Old 12-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_Civic_4dr
Edit: I also want to note that I've had this cam in a couple times before, I just can't get it to work right. The very first time I had the cam in it worked for about a day. Then my distributor rotor's screw backed out and tore up the inside of my distributor so I replaced it with a new one. Since then I get a CKP CEL everytime with this cam (I have yet to get far enough to set the timing) and now it flooded with fuel.
The mechanical timing looks fine.

From the service manual: "The CRANK sensor (CKP) determines timing for fuel injection and ignition of each cylinder and also detects engine RPM."

If you still have CEL code 4 (CKP sensor), then there is excess fuel in the cylinders because you have a spark problem. You need to fix CEL code 4 before doing anything more. Did you install a new OEM distributor?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried starting again this morning, nothing. Not really improving either.

Originally Posted by instructor74
to answer the question about the fuel forget about it has nothing to do with what is going on . Chugging, ruff idle, and smoke are very normal after pouring oil down the cylinders to get the compression numbers back up. If your timing is dead on try to start it again and see if things starts to smooth out, as the oil burns off. You may have to blip the gas a few times to keep it running
Ok, I pretty much have to hold WOT to keep it going, anything other than with the throttle and it dies.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The mechanical timing looks fine.

From the service manual: "The CRANK sensor (CKP) determines timing for fuel injection and ignition of each cylinder and also detects engine RPM."

If you still have CEL code 4 (CKP sensor), then there is excess fuel in the cylinders because you have a spark problem. You need to fix CEL code 4 before doing anything more. Did you install a new OEM distributor?
Yeah, I went from OEM to OEM distributor.
When I got the new distributor, I had the 59300 camshaft still installed. I tried running it but kept getting the CEL for CKP and needed the car so I threw the OEM camshaft back in and all of a sudden no more CEL and car ran fine. Then the other day now that I have a lot of free time I decided to give the 59300 another shot and dropped it in, and now....this thread.

Edit: Okay, I'm fed up with it and it looks like I have no choice. I'm gonna go ahead and pull the head, dry it off and oil up the walls. The thing is just soaked and is not starting. I pulled the dipstick and the oil isn't even oil anymore, it's runny and feels more like fuel than oil.

But can anyone explain this or have any theories:
I'm not understanding why the Comp 59300 camshaft would set off the CKP CEL but not the OEM camshaft especially if the timing marks are lining up fine.

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll update this thread once I get the head back on.

Last edited by 95_Civic_4dr; 12-24-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Engine flooded with fuel and now won't start

Well, I tried starting her but no luck. She did get a little further than anything before.

Held it at WOT and cranked the engine over, it turned over immediately but started chugging and sounded like a really messed up diesel for a good 10 seconds then finally died and a cloud of gray smoke went everywhere. I pretty much stopped there.

I'm not sure if I should just keep cranking it and hope it eventually runs, pull the plugs crank it and let it sit a little more, or shoot more oil down the cylinders and start cranking again. Idk.

Looking down the spark plug holes, it still looks soaking wet in the cylinders...I almost feel like I should just pull the head and dry it all myself, and I just had the head off only a few days ago
Should I drain the tank and fuel lines of the 89 and put 87 in?
Yup that happened to mine but I kept just enough fuel and throttle so that it would stay chugging along until it would rev higher and higher and finaly it started clearing itself out and building compression. I inserted ATF like 2 or 3 times. Washed down cylinders is a mess and with no compression that is what happens. You did get some life out of it so keep trying. Yeah just keep your battery good and attack the problem hehe.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I pulled the head.
There were just huge pools of oil and fuel sitting on top of the pistons, I'm actually amazed I didn't hydrolock the motor.
Anyway, I dried everything off the best I could and threw a layer of oil onto the cylinder walls. Valves are sealing and all pistons hit TDC and BDC just fine. So mechanically everything looks good.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, but despite all the attempts and suggestions she just wouldn't start.
My pistons and cylinders are the cleanest that they have ever been though lol.

Now I have a few questions:
1. The cylinder head bolts I currently have only have around 10k miles on them. They have been removed and re-installed once before, this would be the second time I've reused them. Should I replace them or will they probably be fine? -This motor does not see any boost or nos.

2. I literally just had the cylinder head off the other day, I put a new head gasket on it. Should I still replace the head gasket again even though it's only a couple days old and has less than 100 miles on it?

3. How should I go about tackling this Comp 59300 camshaft, should I just leave it out of the motor, or keep going with the 59300 and try to get it to work? I still don't know the exact cause of the flooding and like mentioned earlier I do get a CKP CEL with the 59300 but I assumed it's because I had yet to set the ignition timing correctly before the CEL came on. The only thing I had done differently before the flooding was jumping the service connector by the passenger kick panel on a cold start up.

Last edited by 95_Civic_4dr; 12-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I have a few questions:
1. The cylinder head bolts I currently have only have around 10k miles on them. They have been removed and re-installed once before, this would be the second time I've reused them. Should I replace them or will they probably be fine? -This motor does not see any boost or nos.

2. I literally just had the cylinder head off the other day, I put a new head gasket on it. Should I still replace the head gasket again even though it's only a couple days old and has less than 100 miles on it?

3. How should I go about tackling this Comp 59300 camshaft, should I just leave it out of the motor, or keep going with the 59300 and try to get it to work? I still don't know the exact cause of the flooding and like mentioned earlier I do get a CKP CEL with the 59300 but I assumed it's because I had yet to set the ignition timing correctly before the CEL came on. The only thing I had done differently before the flooding was jumping the service connector by the passenger kick panel on a cold start up.
Some thoughts anyone, on these questions of mine?