Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

endyn roller wave pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default endyn roller wave pistons

anybody kno anything on these pistons. ....are they good for all motor or boost? where can i find them. if any feedback. id appreciate. i've heard of them before but? im in process of doin research for my build....thanx
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: endyn roller wave pistons (wesley_925)

" Roller-Wave....What Is It?

In the mid-to-late '70's, I found that biasing the mixture to the exhaust-side of the piston netted lower fuel consumption, as well as considerably less tendency for detonation in 2-valve NASCAR and drag race engines. Those experiments ultimately lead to swirl combustion technology that dominates 2-valve race head design today. Today's 4-valve pent-roof combustion chambers don't lend themselves to conventional swirl combustion as readily, so a rethink was required to mechanically enhance their combustion properties.

Since confining mixture and initiating the burn on the exhaust-side of the piston takes full advantage of exhaust-valve heat for mixture ionization, I utilized tighter (and larger area) quench clearance on the intake-side of the piston to force a mixture wave to flow toward the exhaust-side of the chamber as the piston approaches TDC. I've incorporated less piston dome volume on the exhaust-side with both more piston to head (quench) clearance, as well as the trough that incorporates both exhaust valve relief's. This trough lines up precisely with the down-sloping combustion chamber at TDC, reflecting and rolling the mixture that's traveling toward it from the intake-side. Confining a rolling turbulence to the exhaust-side of the piston insures that more mixture components will be lighted during ignition, and a faster, more complete combustion event will result....permitting one to use less spark advance and fuel, to achieve more power and less detonation in any application, whether normally-aspirated or forced-induction.

When one has the ability to shape the combustion event using mechanical design, it's possible to also design the tuning parameters the engine will "want", rather than living with compromised tuning and performance created by the use of more generic combustion space designs.

Roller-Wave forced induction pistons incorporate full stepped-quench pads to maximize (mechanical octane), a volume-biasing reflector trench on the exhaust-side, turbulators at the intersect of the valve relief's to increase mixture homogeneity, and piston skirt designs for minimal cylinder wall loading."

I have them in my LS/Vtec. Hardly any piston slap at startup and they make great power.

http://www.theoldone.com/compo....html

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: endyn roller wave pistons (wesley_925)

There are FI and NA versions. In fact, they tailor them to your application. You're able to run relatively high compression w/out risk to the motor. They're the best pistons ever made by anyone, but they're not JDM and they're not baller "Skunk 2", so outside of serious sanctioned racing circles, you wont hear much about them.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: endyn roller wave pistons (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are FI and NA versions. In fact, they tailor them to your application. You're able to run relatively high compression w/out risk to the motor. They're the best pistons ever made by anyone, but they're not JDM and they're not baller "Skunk 2", so outside of serious sanctioned racing circles, you wont hear much about them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, L. Widmer is involved with some very impressive innovations. I believe he is considered one of the best Honda engine builders of all time. That mill he made for Honda Tuning was crazy.