Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 Strut tower brace stud rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EM1 Strut tower brace stud rust

I recently noticed some rust surrounding the strut tower brace studs on the driver side. The passenger side doesn't look bad, but if you look at the closeups, you can see that it's just starting. Is there a professional solution to this without tearing the front suspension apart. I'm hoping a body shop can just take a wire wheel to the area surrounding the studs and re-spray it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: EM1 Strut tower brace stud rust

I believe alot of people would love to have that little rust. That is just minimal surface rust, so just lightly clean it up with a wire brush and then put some rust converter on it to seal the area.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Swift
I believe alot of people would love to have that little rust. That is just minimal surface rust, so just lightly clean it up with a wire brush and then put some rust converter on it to seal the area.
Thanks for the response. I plan to keep this car for a long time and have a lot of money invested in it, so even a small amount of rust concerns me. If you're sure that the rust is just on the surface and couldn't have come from underneath, this makes me feel better. I looked into rust converter, but I don't want to turn the area black, even if it's hidden underneath the strut tower brace. I'd prefer to use touch up paint or spray, but I'm not sure if that would prevent it from coming back.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

lightly sand and primer.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
lightly sand and primer.
I think I'm going to do both. I ordered this stuff called Corroseal, which is a rust converter and a primer.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone told me they thought this might be coming from underneath. I'm concerned that if I repair the top, there might be an area continuing to corrode to the point where I'd need some welding. It looks like those slotted areas (ovals) are designed to move or flex, which would allow cracks to form and water and salt to creep in.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

does the car have a front camber kit ? it looks like the upper arm has been pounding bolts into the bottom of the strut tower. If you're going to fix it in the engine bay then I would check underneath as well to prevent more rust.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by not_so_jdm_eh2
does the car have a front camber kit ? it looks like the upper arm has been pounding bolts into the bottom of the strut tower. If you're going to fix it in the engine bay then I would check underneath as well to prevent more rust.
No, I don't have a camber kit. I have a mild drop with Ground Control and GC top hats. A camber kit isn't needed. I'm going to have it checked underneath, though. It's weird. Other than this, the car is clean.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely have it checked underneath. those dimples in the shock towers remind me of the damage on my eh2, and it did have camber kits. my dc4 doesn't have a camber kit and has no damage like that. are you the original owner ?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sprockets
No, I don't have a camber kit. I have a mild drop with Ground Control and GC top hats. A camber kit isn't needed. I'm going to have it checked underneath, though. It's weird. Other than this, the car is clean.
That rust is not coming from below, I can say that with 100% certainty just from seeing these photos. This amount of rust is so minuscule you're lucky you got any responses here at all. Fix it and move on.

Originally Posted by not_so_jdm_eh2
I would definitely have it checked underneath. those dimples in the shock towers remind me of the damage on my eh2, and it did have camber kits. my dc4 doesn't have a camber kit and has no damage like that. are you the original owner ?
Those dimples are simply part of the factory assembly process, look at any Civic of this generation and you'll see them. Stop spreading misinformation.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kp
That rust is not coming from below, I can say that with 100% certainty just from seeing these photos. This amount of rust is so minuscule you're lucky you got any responses here at all. Fix it and move on.

Those dimples are simply part of the factory assembly process, look at any Civic of this generation and you'll see them. Stop spreading misinformation.
Not trying to spread any misinformation, just trying to help. I know my eh2 didn't have them, nor does my current dc4. I'd have to look at my old ej6 again, but I don't remember ever seeing them. I could be mistaken though. I agree though, just wire brush it and repaint
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy cans of premixed EBP spray paint.

Sand the rust off. Don't sand off too much of the surrounding paint or base coat. The factory base coat and paint is tough stuff. Leave it alone as much as possible.

Primer and paint. Also add clear coat.

Wait for it to dry. Drive without the brace for a while if needed.

Maybe add a sheet of clear vinyl on that area before putting the bar back on.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, I've decided to talk to a body shop about it. If they don't see anything underneath, I'll do it myself. I have some old cans of EBP Dupli-color spray paint and rust converter/primer that I just got. I'll hit it with a nylon Dremel brush and do some light sanding. You can see the paint bubbling on the bad side, so I need to sand that down, but I'm not going to get carried away.