Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ELD Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ELD Help!

Ok i recently got a code 20 on my EJ8.Acording to the FAQs here its the Electrical Load Detector.I been trying to do some research on this and found someone saying something about a bracket with wires on the intake manifold.that get cut over time and then they ground out and stuff.Does anyone know exactly what bracket is this and exactly where its location is?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the intake manifold bracket - doesnt get much more specific than that... Its located on the block, supporting the manifold.
There is a honda service bulletin about it, if you searched and read a bit more, you wouldve seen many threads about it.
The main harness runs through the manifold bracket - its common to wear it open and cause a short.

Look at your alternator fuse under the dash.

you didnt have to make a new thread...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2201265
and dont bump so much either... no one lives on honda-tech

G/L, just use your eyes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its the intake manifold bracket - doesnt get much more specific than that... Its located on the block, supporting the manifold.
There is a honda service bulletin about it, if you searched and read a bit more, you wouldve seen many threads about it.
The main harness runs through the manifold bracket - its common to wear it open and cause a short.

Look at your alternator fuse under the dash.

you didnt have to make a new thread...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2201265
and dont bump so much either... no one lives on honda-tech

G/L, just use your eyes </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok sorry for not searching. Now when you say HONDA bulletin you mean they are liable to fix it or what?Sorry but im new to this car and dont know much about it.And no my alternator fuse is not blown which trips me out.I do have the flickering headlights and other acc. problem though.Thanx for your help so far even though you bashed on me but its OK im just trying not to get stuck on afreeway or somewhere else cuz my car shuts off on me.Want to prevent that
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If youre that interested in fixing the car yourself.
Go to advance auto or autozone and have them scan your car to tell you EXACTLY why the CEL is on.
Thats free. And if you cant trust someone to do that to you car it looks like you may be on the side of the road if youre depending on HT.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the wiring to the main fuse box under the hood - loose wiring, corrosion, etc etc.
Have you checked your alternator output voltage?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked the wiring to the main fuse box under the hood - loose wiring, corrosion, etc etc.
Have you checked your alternator output voltage?</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked the wiring to the main fuse box under the hood - loose wiring, corrosion, etc etc.
Have you checked your alternator output voltage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO.I just got home and im going to get on it right now,but so far according to TSB 99-029.i need to cover up the engine harness near the intak manifold bracket so im going to try that first
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (mortificationrock)

i also recently received an ELD error code (code 20) in my 92-95 civic (EG). i'm running on an integra ls ecu, which doesn't really matter because its OBD1. after searching on H-T and reading the few threads, I thought i needed to buy a new fuse box. Being cheap, I decided to read my manual and conduct all of the tests on the fuse box listed on the Haynes manual. my fuse box passed. knowing my ELD is fine and im getting the proper voltage into the fuse box, i looked into the engine ground. I found a loose 10mm bolt that held the engine harness ground to the engine. After tightening that, I checked the code and it cleared.

synopsis:
-had an ECU 20 code
-ran tests to check ELD
-ELD passed = good
-cause of code, loose ground

lesson learned:
when something goes wrong with the car, use the SEARCH on H-T.
run tests before going out and buying a part you dont need

sorry for the rant/epic story, just wanted to contribute some info
Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oOoEG6oOo)

i just got the same problem, a mechanic told me to carge my battary and start my car then unhook the battary and if the car stalls it needs an altanator, i still need to by it and im not postitive if thats the problem
Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchback freek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback freek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just got the same problem, a mechanic told me to carge my battary and start my car then unhook the battary and if the car stalls it needs an altanator, i still need to by it and im not postitive if thats the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

What problem the codes or the flickering lights?Be a little more specific.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oOoEG6oOo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oOoEG6oOo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also recently received an ELD error code (code 20) in my 92-95 civic (EG). i'm running on an integra ls ecu, which doesn't really matter because its OBD1. after searching on H-T and reading the few threads, I thought i needed to buy a new fuse box. Being cheap, I decided to read my manual and conduct all of the tests on the fuse box listed on the Haynes manual. my fuse box passed. knowing my ELD is fine and im getting the proper voltage into the fuse box, i looked into the engine ground. I found a loose 10mm bolt that held the engine harness ground to the engine. After tightening that, I checked the code and it cleared.

synopsis:
-had an ECU 20 code
-ran tests to check ELD
-ELD passed = good
-cause of code, loose ground

lesson learned:
when something goes wrong with the car, use the SEARCH on H-T.
run tests before going out and buying a part you dont need

sorry for the rant/epic story, just wanted to contribute some info
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And where is the location of this ground you speak of?Point this noob to the right direction.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And where is the location of this ground you speak of?Point this noob to the right direction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ground that caused my ELD problem was the engine harness ground bolted onto the thermostat housing. its close to the throttle body near the rear of the head.