Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ8 Overheating after IACV TPS replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 EJ8 Overheating after IACV TPS replaced

Okay, so I'm brand new to the forums, and have absolutely no idea if this question has been asked or answered. I did search for a second before registering and didn't see anything....

I bought 98 Civic EX coupe that has a single cam non-vtec motor in it. My check engine light has been on, I took it to the Auto Zone, they ran diagnostic a few things showed up, 2 of which were the TPS and IACV along with having to adjust valves and a couple of misfires. So I adjusted the valves to their proper adjustments (.25 ex/ .20in), replaced the dizzy cap and rotor, new plugs and plug wires, replaced the IACV and the TPS. After replacing and calibrating the TPS, I had water coming from a coolant line on the new IACV so I replaced the line, then no more water, but after that, the car is just overheating badly. I have no clue where to go from here and was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction. The car had absolutely no overheating problems prior to replacing the TPS and IACV. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EJ8 Overheating after IACV TPS replaced

Did you properly bleed the system after the repairs? I assume it wasn't overheating before you did them right?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had no idea that I was supposed to bleed the system. This is the first time that I've changed either of these parts before. I've mainly been watching videos and doing some reading on how to do it, but nothing I came across mentioned anything about bleeding the system. What exactly am I supposed to bleed?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldnt hurt to bled the system. Thats where i would start. If that didnt fix the overheat then come back for more help.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_MEX
I had no idea that I was supposed to bleed the system. This is the first time that I've changed either of these parts before. I've mainly been watching videos and doing some reading on how to do it, but nothing I came across mentioned anything about bleeding the system. What exactly am I supposed to bleed?
Any time you open up the coolant system, especially if you lose any coolant you need to bleed it. To do it just take the radiator cap off and top off the coolant. Then leave the cap off and start the car and run it for say 20 min with the climate control in the hot position, topping the coolant of the whole time. When its bleed you shouldn't be seeing any bubbles and not needing anymore coolant to keep it topped off. The car should be up to temp at this point and not overheating. If now its still over heating you have a problem. If your constantly seeing bubbles you likely have a bad head gasket.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help, guys. I've bled the cooling system and haven't had an overheating problem since then. I only now have a slight misfire, so I'm going to check the timing and hopefully with a little adjustment of the distributor, I can fix that issue.