Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG w/ ITR swap, getting no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG w/ ITR swap, getting no spark

Fixed

Last edited by dapek; 12-04-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM

sounds to me like it could be the ground wires going to your motor. one to you're tranny and the other to the valve cover. that is where i would start.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i'll check that man thanks, anything/one else?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it tuned? ecu? did you actually check for no spark? physically see no spark? ahahha just making sure.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bpkmrtoes
is it tuned? ecu? did you actually check for no spark? physically see no spark? ahahha just making sure.
haha checked dizzy for no spark and sure enough...no spark ahaha yes it's tuned by speedfactory got it started up, i figured it was the distributor since all grounds and plugs etc were good, borrowed one just to get it home back in the garage since my buddy needs to drive his whip so i'm taking the dist. back off for him and drive the beater work truck. I'm gonna buy a new distributor, but would any obd2 distributor from a b-series work or would it have to be strictly obd2 b18c5 distributor? thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would need a dizzy for bseries vtakkk! glad you found your problem. i would just replace the ignitor in the dizzy though! thats cause im cheap and can't afford a new dizzy and have plenty of other donor dizzys with known good internals. lol

edit:: oh yeah obd2 bseries vtec.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

This topic/title does not make sense.

Let's establish one thing first:

Does the car not do ANYTHING when you turn the key?

If it does nothing then you don't need to ask "why no spark?" but more try to figure out if you have not enough electrical power to crank the engine, or if your starter is locked up. A lack of spark alone will allow the engine to spin over as if it wants to crank up, but it just will keep spinning. That's why I find it confusing that you'd already assume you have no spark.

Does the car actually spin over, but won't start?

If the answer was A.then the next thing you need to establish is if the car lacks fuel or spark. It sounds to me like you have not actually determined it lacks spark.

To check for fuel simply loosen the top nut/bolt on the top of your fuel filter, then turn the key and see if any fuel sprays out - this might be best to have two people. One to watch and scream "okay it's gort fuel" while the other turns the key.

To check for spark unplug one spark plug wire from the valvecover, remove the spark plug from that hole, then plug it back into the plug wire. Spin the engine over and look for spark at that plug.

I'll wait for you to at least do this before I get in-depth about how to find why the engine lacks spark or fuel.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW I just re-read the topic and it makes more sense to me now.

1. You are likely lacking spark or fuel

2. Trying to start the car repeatedly may have killed an already weak battery

I think you will need to establish wether or not your battery is dead, and if it is, replace the battery so that you can again repeatedly try to start the engine to properly diagnose what else is missing.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
BTW I just re-read the topic and it makes more sense to me now.

1. You are likely lacking spark or fuel

2. Trying to start the car repeatedly may have killed an already weak battery

I think you will need to establish wether or not your battery is dead, and if it is, replace the battery so that you can again repeatedly try to start the engine to properly diagnose what else is missing.
Battery is not dead because it was able to be started up as i stated w/o jumping it or anything like that. Only attempted to start it twice last night and the third time it started. Battery is almost brand new. I am not lacking fuel, fuel pump primes and although i know i was getting fuel, i double checked as you stated by loosening the bolt on top of the fuel filter and just as i expected a small amount of fuel sprayed as i started it up. Thanks for the info though B18C5-EH2. I found a used OBD2 gsr distributor that i'm gonna purchase