Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg is surging, think its the IACV??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg is surging, think its the IACV??

it got worse over time, once it would warm up it would stop but now it does it no matter what the motor temp. is. it only does it a idle of course. ive already cleaned the the little screen thing under the t/b. any ideas would be a big help...thanks everyone!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: eg is surging, think its the IACV?? (dertymatt)

ttt
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it used to just do it warming up, then progressively got worse, then that tells me your thermo valve is likely the culprit...the seat loosened itself out or the thermo expandable wax deal went bad.

Take your intake off so you can access the throttle body. Have the car running and get it to operating temp. If your facing the throttle body, there are two small bypass air holes on the inside left of the throttle body. Put your finger over the lower hole. If your car is at operating temp and that hole sucks on your finger, your thermo valve needs attention.

The thermo valve is beneath the throttle body and basically expands when heated by the coolant. As the thermo unit expands it seats a valve which shuts off bypass air. The extra air is used for cold start, but goes away once the vehicle is warm.

This is likely your issue. What's happening is the motor is revvin up from the extra air, the ecu is sensing it, and shutting of the injectors momentarily, then turns them back on, it revs again, and so forth....a revolving cycle. You have extra air getting in the manifold.

First I'd just check the coolant level. The idle system, like stated above, is dependent on coolant. Make sure it's full and bled correctly. From there I'd check that thermo valve. The little plastic round valve seat inside should NOT be tightened all the way...leave about two-three threads visible...you want it to bypass some air cold, but then allow the valve to seat when expanded.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: eg is surging, think its the IACV?? (RC000E)

ill definitly check that out. so odds are it isnt the IACV?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM

alright im going to clean both the iacv and the fitv tonight.....is there any other helpful hints that i should know?

like any kind of crazy random thing that wasnt supposed to happen?!

ive read all the write ups and i think i have a good idea how to do it, it doesnt seem to hard. i was just worried about some wierd surprise i might find....
Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope its straight forward the hardest part is if you leave the intake on the car getting the coolant lines off can be a bit of a pain. Don't forget to plug the iacv back in when you put things back together
Old 06-19-2007, 03:46 PM

WOW!!!!

that was exactly the problem!!!!! the little yellow ball thing inside the fitv was totally out. i screwed it in until about 3 or 4 threads were showing and it fixed it!! my car runs better than it ever did!!!

thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!