Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU and Engine Questions (I have a B16 Engine and a P30 ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU and Engine Questions (I have a B16 Engine and a P30 ECU)

Hey everyone.
I have a B16A2 engine from an Si-R in Japan, and my ECU is a P30-000. I am told that this ECU is Canadian.
My problem here is, my engine has a VTEC solenoid that doesn't have a Pressure Valve Switch, but the ECU checks for one (throws CEL code 22 now).
This means I have an ECU that doesn't match my engine right? I should be trying to find an ECU for this engine?
If so, what ECU should I be trying to get my hands on? I was looking on eBay and I saw a P30-900, the auction ad said that it was from a '95 Si-RII from Japan, is that what I'm looking for?
What other ECUs would work with my engine, without causing any CEL codes?
Just trying to get my car ready for smog and ref.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU and Engine Questions (agiorlando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agiorlando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey everyone.
I have a B16A2 engine from an Si-R in Japan, and my ECU is a P30-000. I am told that this ECU is Canadian.
My problem here is, my engine has a VTEC solenoid that doesn't have a Pressure Valve Switch, but the ECU checks for one (throws CEL code 22 now).
This means I have an ECU that doesn't match my engine right? I should be trying to find an ECU for this engine?
If so, what ECU should I be trying to get my hands on? I was looking on eBay and I saw a P30-900, the auction ad said that it was from a '95 Si-RII from Japan, is that what I'm looking for?
What other ECUs would work with my engine, without causing any CEL codes?
Just trying to get my car ready for smog and ref. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, for starters there is no jdm B16A2. only B16A. and the P30 is the correct ECU for the motor, who ever told you it was canadian, well they were wrong.

the P30 is the correct ECU for the B16's. that is the ecu used on jdm and usdm motors.

now, if it's looking for the pressure switch, then it's doing it job. why wouldn't your motor not have the pressure switch? was it damaged? never there? help us out alittle more.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU and Engine Questions (philosofy1)

Thanks for the reply.
It's a B16A second generation, I figured that's what the two was for.
The VTEC solenoid on my engine doesn't have a pressure switch, it's not missing one, it just doesn't have one. The spot where the pressure switch usually goes is blocked off, I'm guessing this is a VTEC solenoid that reads oil pressure from another source?
Anyways, would my solution be to get a new VTEC solenoid with an oil pressure switch, or a new ECU that doesn't check for one?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

JDM engines do not usually have a VTEC pressure switch, and the only P30 ECu that won't look for one is the JDM version, which is a square box-type ECU as compared to USDM/Canadian rectangle ECUs.

There is a trick to loop a wire at the VTEc solenoid to trick the ECU into thinking you have a pressure switch, or you can simply swap on a complete VTEC valve assembly with pressure switch from any USDM SOHC or DOHC B series engine and wire up the pressure switch.

...and before anyone talks trsh about using a SOHC solenoid on DOHC engine, it's the exact same thing.

You might want to PM user Kenji or e-mail him at kenji211@tampabay.rr.com - he knows the loop trick for fooling US-spec ECUs to work with JDM engines w/o the pressure switch.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agiorlando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the reply.
The VTEC solenoid on my engine doesn't have a pressure switch, it's not missing one, it just doesn't have one. The spot where the pressure switch usually goes is blocked off, I'm guessing this is a VTEC solenoid that reads oil pressure from another source?
Anyways, would my solution be to get a new VTEC solenoid with an oil pressure switch, or a new ECU that doesn't check for one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm...it doesn't have one? wow that's weird. then there is no way you hit vtec right? are you sure you have a B16A? can you post pics?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU and Engine Questions (B18C5-EH2)

Actually, I already have the loop thing going on. Where you jump A4 to C6.
Thing is, when I do that it throws two more errors, knock sensor and O2 sensor heater.
I'm also pretty certain that doing that won't exactly make it smog legal, lol.
So I have a SOHC VTEC solenoid on my DOHC? I guess I'll find a VTEC solenoid on eBay with an pressure switch.
Will my car have trouble passing smog with a USDM ECU and JDM engine?

Edit, philosofy1;
Apparently it's an SOHC VTEC solenoid, so I had to jump a wire to make VTEC kick in, but it sure does kick in
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agiorlando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the reply.
Anyways, would my solution be to get a new VTEC solenoid with an oil pressure switch, or a new ECU that doesn't check for one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW:

The B16A2 is a US-spec 1996-1997 Del Sol VTEC and/or 99-00 Civic Si engine, and it is OBD2. The JDM engine is referred to as "first-gen" if it's the pre-OBD style for the EF Civic, or "sceond-gen" if it's the OBD1 version for the EG Civic.

Not being picky, it's just that it gets confusing when people refer to JDM engines as USDM engine codes.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU and Engine Questions (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JDM engines do not usually have a VTEC pressure switch, and the only P30 ECu that won't look for one is the JDM version, which is a square box-type ECU as compared to USDM/Canadian rectangle ECUs.

There is a trick to loop a wire at the VTEc solenoid to trick the ECU into thinking you have a pressure switch, or you can simply swap on a complete VTEC valve assembly with pressure switch from any USDM SOHC or DOHC B series engine and wire up the pressure switch.

...and before anyone talks trsh about using a SOHC solenoid on DOHC engine, it's the exact same thing.

You might want to PM user Kenji or e-mail him at kenji211@tampabay.rr.com - he knows the loop trick for fooling US-spec ECUs to work with JDM engines w/o the pressure switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, i never knew that, gotta keep that in mind. i guess this is why you are the civic forum legend.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agiorlando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Edit, philosofy1;
Apparently it's an SOHC VTEC solenoid, so I had to jump a wire to make VTEC kick in, but it sure does kick in </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it has nothing to do with SOHC vs. DOHC, but more JDM vs. USDM. Like I stated earlier one solution is to find a USDM SOHC solenoid and bolt it on, and then wire up the pressure switch.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Former Moderator

California might as well be Mars to me when it comes to smog, ref, BAR, etc. - I have no clue what works for you guys in CA. I'm in GA where all they care about is a tailpipe test for OBD1, and no CEL for OBD2 - they don't care if you have a 1977 engine in a 1995 car so long as it passes the sniffer test.

Because it's a P30 it will read/look for the knock sensor also - it needs to be wired as well. If you find a P28 ECU and use it and have it rechipped it won't look for a knock sensor, but again I'm clueless on whether or not the REF will pass it.