Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU dilemma

right now i'm running my ITR powered eg hatch with stock p06ECU chipped. Couple ppl sat in my car and they said the vtec engagement is not as aggressive an ITR motor suppose to be and i was puzzled. So i sat in their ITR powered coupe and i admit their vtec engagement is louder and it pulled harder than mine. I asked him why is it like this and he said he used the original p73 ECU (JDM ITR) with obd2b-->obd1 harness.....i have the p73 ECU at home too and i'm wondering do i really get better results with p73?...

cliff notes: should i use p73ECU (JDM ITR) instead of a chipped p06 ECU
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the ecu was chipped w/ the stock gsr bins is basically identical, if they were messed w/ at all the guy that chipped it could have made the high cam and low cam maps overlap well enough that vtec engagement isnt as "snappy" as the stock ecu. this isnt nessacarilly a bad thing. also, when most people chip an ecu they change the vtec engagement point, this will affect how hard it "hits" as well. if the low cam maps are done making power before vtec engages then its more noticable then if say you were to engage at the peak low cam point. hope that makes sense.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

first off.... unless your chipped P06 had the VTEC components added you don't have VTEC. A P06 is out of a DX which does not have VTEC.
If the components have been added, then it's the chip that holds everything.
Like schardbody said... if it's set to transition smoothly (like it should be) then you will not notice it other than sound.

Something to think about... honda never made an OBD1 ITR ECU. So if the guy with the coupe told you they had an OBD2b-->OBD1 jumper... they are running a chipped ECU just like you are.

If they really do have an EG with a P73 ECU they must have gone to all the work of installing an OBD2 ECU in their OBD1 car but its not easy. IMO it's not worth it unless Toronto has Cali like emissions testing.
Stick with your chipped ECU (if it has VTEC ability) and have the car tuned. Depending on the quality of the tune you should be able to out pull the coupe.

If you need convincing that a chipped ECU is the way to go. Go to the ITR forums and look what they are running for ECUs. Anyone that wants more out of their Rs go for an OBD2-->OBD1 conversion and run a "chipped" ECU that's tuned.

BTW schardbody... GSR maps and ITR maps are not that close. the fuel is close but timing aspect is actually closer to the B16 map due to the bump in compression, single runner intake manifold and more aggressive cams in the R.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah crap, thought we were talking about a GSR, hehe, good looking.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (schardbody)

my p06 ECU has vtec capability, the person who chipped it installed a chip contains the exact same replica fuel map etc of an ITR...i have p73 ECU at home....should i keep p06 or get myself a obd2b->obd1 harness and use the p73
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if you are truly running a P06 then you dont need any harness, cuz you must already have one. if it where me i would make a dyno a/f run and see what it looks like. possibly find someone that works with crome and have a new chip burnt.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, if you are truly running a P06 then you dont need any harness, cuz you must already have one. if it where me i would make a dyno a/f run and see what it looks like. possibly find someone that works with crome and have a new chip burnt.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He has an EG, he's all ready OBD1. we're gonna have to get you some glasses.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR_EGG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my p06 ECU has vtec capability, the person who chipped it installed a chip contains the exact same replica fuel map etc of an ITR...i have p73 ECU at home....should i keep p06 or get myself a obd2b-&gt;obd1 harness and use the p73</TD></TR></TABLE>
you would actually need a OBD1--&gt;OBD2b harness. Which is not as common as the OBD2b--&gt;OBD1 harness.

I'm agreeing with schardbody, stick with your P06 and have it tuned.
BTW if you have the exact same fuel maps as the P73 then it will run the same as the P73. Since it doesn't I'd bet they are the same as I started with when I started tuning mine... close but not exact.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL yep.