ebay coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay coilovers

hi to all

I want to buy a coilovers set for my D16Z7 92 hatch. something like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

i'm concerned if they are too hard and will make my car bounce... i mean the stock shocks wont' be good. most of the offers say that they will be ok, but i don't trust that so much.
so my question is.. is it a good idea to buy these. thanks

p.s.

wha: higher spring rate means?

Modified by surr3a1 at 6:31 AM 8/17/2005
Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: ebay coilovers (surr3a1)

1. Generic coil-overs have crappily made springs, perches, collars, and hardware. Often times what should be a simple adjustment turns into a problem because the hardware breaks, strips, etc.

2. Running any type of lowering spring, no matter how soft/hard, on stock 100K+ mile stock struts is a terrible idea if you enjoy ride quality

Trust me. If you put those coil-overs on your stock struts the ride will be shitty. I would not even bother with those coil-overs at all, but if you MUST, then at least get some good struts to go with them such as the KYB AGX adjustables. They should be stiff enough to control those spring rates (whatever the hell they may be) and they are adjustable, so you may not even need to ride on full stiff all of the time.

I've owned generic lowering springs, generic coil-overs, $1,200.00+ full Bilstein Neuspeed coil-overs, Ground Controls, Skunkworks (yes before they were Skunk2), Koni Yellows, KYB GR-2 non-Adjustables, Tein S-Tech springs, KYB AGX, etc. so I've been around the suspension block a few times. I've also installed countless set-ups at my shop, so what I'm saying is real world, not hearsay BS.

I'd save up for better components.

So in order for us to help you we need to know this:

1. what's your budget?

2. What do you want in terms of handling?

3. Ride height?

4. Ride quality - stiff, or smooth?

Help us help you.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

BTW:

Higher spring rates means the springs will be stiff, meaning you will NEED much stiffer than stock struts if you want the car to ride not bouncy.

Lastly:

What's a D16Z7? Are you in the U.S, or another country? I've never heard of/seen a D16Z7 before.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 AM

Default Re: ebay coilovers (B18C5-EH2)

Oki... here is the deal:

i'm from Bulgaria which is somewhere near Greece... and i'm really bad with money...
i have 16" wheels with 205/45/16 tires.
My front springs are BROKEN which is 2 pieces (the left is broken at TWO places)... so now my spring is touching my shock and when driving makes this awful metallic sound.

I need something or my shocks will be for a replacement too.
because of the broken springs the car is really quite low (300mm the tires from the fender).
the springs are too soft and when turning with higher speed the whole car is twisting... so i'm looking for a little harder springs to replace the broken ones and to improve the high speed handling.

And to uderstand how bad with the money I am (the whole country)
I have an offer for: 4 TOKIKO shocks with 4 AEM red springs for about 370 $ the whole set ... and I can't afford it whout a loan....

P.S.

this is a SOHC VTEC 1.6 125hp Civic 92 Hatchback

http://www.bgphoto.net/photos/...0.JPG - this is it
Old 08-17-2005, 05:51 AM

i use to take the cheap way out i cut my spring.. it last for about 10 thousand before my shocks went out by then i had some money save up for some tien..

Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Former Moderator

Well if you must buy those coil-overs just do so with the understanding that you will NEED to buy struts very soon. Honestly you probably need struts now too, but you can only do what you can afford, and I understand that.

So in your case I'd do coil-overs now (for adjustable ride height) and new stiff struts later.

Also:

My personal opinion about Tokico struts is that they are not good. I've never ridden on a set of Tokicos that wasn't bouncy, and that includes their more expensive adjustable Illuminas.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:08 AM

thanks man...
my other option is to buy used stock springs (front only) for the same price...

Also... i can't write a personal msg to you... so i'm writing here:

What is:

JDM
OEM

i see those everywhere and can't figure out ... thanks.. i'm sure its a stupid one
Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by surr3a1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What is:

JDM
OEM

i see those everywhere and can't figure out ... thanks.. i'm sure its a stupid one </TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM = Japan Domestic Market.
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture. Stock parts.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 AM

if you buy those i hope you have access to a decent spanner wrench because the ones that you will get with it are crap and will bend VERY easily
Old 08-17-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: ebay coilovers (legron_m)

I'll cut one on a laser machine if that is the problem... thanks to all of the answers...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ever you do stop driving on that..cause sounds like your already bottoming out your struts...Means your gonna pop a seal from pushing down and bottoming out the fluid..its got now where else to go..I whould get a set of tein ss springs and throw them on there..Cheap good and youll love them for price..BUy them off ebay..not coilover sleeves..one youll use the spanner it gives you way to much cause itll come loose and lower..which ***** allignment and tires...then your sleeve is held to your strut by 3 allen stubs..never really holds to tigt..(except the back of the 93 corolla..but some modifacation was made)..Take my opinions on this subject pretty well ive done a million suspension setups..for cheap..its not always the way to go neccesarly..(niether is my spelling)..IMO
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also:

My personal opinion about Tokico struts is that they are not good. I've never ridden on a set of Tokicos that wasn't bouncy, and that includes their more expensive adjustable Illuminas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a suspension god I think. I have illuminas and I couldn't agree more.....it's bouncy no matter what the settings, ruined 2 subwoofers now (replaced it the first time, not gonna replace it again) going over bumps, and on occasion I can feel myself hitting the bump stops........I'm in the market for some new struts; I want these whites gone ASAP........