Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

springs to coilover transition

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs to coilover transition

fyi. i have never owned a set of coilovers. i've always combo'd race springs with adjustable shocks from the past project car i've had. there are great advantages of having coilovers over a spring & shock combo.

being the tech newb that i am. will i expect disadvantages(premature wear and tear) if i constantly adjust ride height (D2 coilovers)?

-CM
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: springs to coilover transition (03ephatch)

1st there are different types of coilovers. You can get a slip ons which goes on your stock shocks or you can get full coilover like teins. Slip ons rides suck because they are for looks. IMO you were smart to just buy shocks and springs. they ride good and you don't have to worry about them slipping. There are alot of types of coilovers. the Type Flex from tein is awesome because you can lower your car without adjust the spring rate. These are the best kind to get. If you look at the Type Basic or the SS, those will be similar to slip on coilovers that skunk2 or Ground control make. As far as D2 I've never heard of the brand.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: springs to coilover transition (aznbo1626)

I have apex ws coils, the stiffness is not adjustable, but the ride height is.. still rides excellent and very easy to manipulate. I would suggest coils over shocks and springs. But then again I don't know much about them since these are my first set of coils and I never owned shocks or springs before.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a set of TODA Fightex DA's. Very nice setup, Camber Plates, Helper Springs to prevent the springs from becoming unseated, strut body adjustability, 12 way adjustability, Rebound on them is awesome! Nice and stiff too!!!

The advantages are you can adjust them for any given situation, whether it is racing, or daily driving. Once you learn the settings that work well, you can have great success with them.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Tein Flex are great. I have them on my S and the ride and handling is amazing.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs to coilover transition (aznbo1626)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznbo1626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1st there are different types of coilovers. You can get a slip ons which goes on your stock shocks or you can get full coilover like teins. Slip ons rides suck because they are for looks. IMO you were smart to just buy shocks and springs. they ride good and you don't have to worry about them slipping. There are alot of types of coilovers. the Type Flex from tein is awesome because you can lower your car without adjust the spring rate. These are the best kind to get. If you look at the Type Basic or the SS, those will be similar to slip on coilovers that skunk2 or Ground control make. As far as D2 I've never heard of the brand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

understood. apex, H&R, teins, toda, zeal, buddy club... etc are great coilover systems. D2 coilover systems are well known with DTMs, Mercedez etc. , mostly european imports. they are beginning to move into the japanese market. they were used in the past mercedez clk gt cars. these systems are 36 way adjustable, warrantied for a year(says mike ) and rebuildable. so far i've heard great reviews on them. once i get them and installed(crossing fingers... no backorders please...), i'll provide a write-up for everyone. this is a hit for ep owners at the moment.

moderator, is it possible to relocate this to the autocross section?