Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

ebay coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay coilovers?

i was wondering how bad ebay coilovers rly are?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ebay coilovers?

If you want a cheap and poor quailty, poor performing coilover then buy them
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by corey94hatchsi
This is like asking, I wonder how bad **** really tastes?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

best coilovers ever.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they are the same measurements as GC get them. then buy Eibach springs from GC. They sell the springs cheap, and they're guaranteed forever. You can specify different spring rates too. A coilover sleeve will not fail in my experience. Most manufacturers don't want dead people around suing them.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say NO to Ebay
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corey94hatchsi
Nobody has ever asked this before. Like, ever. Thanks for asking, it's a really interesting subject, as I think that coilovers for buttons might actually be pretty good.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej6fade
You really shouldn't even be asking this question. If you do not care about your car, quality of parts, ride quality, or the safety of yourself and others, use the eBay springs. Otherwise, get quality springs/coilovers from a reputable brand, such as progress, ground control, amr, tein, etc. Don't buy in into the superjdmyoimacoolkid hype with brands like Function & Form, Raceland, Skunk2, etc, its as bad as the M4/AR-15 community with the "mil-spec" hype. Read the stickies up top.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get em they are awesome
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Daedabomb!!!!

No... literally a ticking time bomb.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't listen to to these guys they have no idea what they're talking about. Ebay coilovers are top notch, I would compare their quality with amr and koni/gc. Top notch! Pair the coilovers with your stock shocks or go big and purchase a set of dropzone shocks or ebay yellows. If you want to roll with the best you have to buy the best.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most guys are just gonna bash them bc they're cheap and sold on eBay. Which I suppose is understandable. But I bet the majority of these guys have never actually used them.

I had them on the rear of my Rex when I bought it, dropzone actually, and when I put eibach pro springs on I noticed very little improvement in the ride quality. Still bouncy and rough riding.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reflexion
Most guys are just gonna bash them bc they're cheap and sold on eBay. Which I suppose is understandable. But I bet the majority of these guys have never actually used them.

I had them on the rear of my Rex when I bought it, dropzone actually, and when I put eibach pro springs on I noticed very little improvement in the ride quality. Still bouncy and rough riding.
You used stock shocks too right?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Most guys are just gonna bash them bc they're cheap and sold on eBay. But I bet the majority of these guys have never actually used them.
I've never used 'wingwong widowmaker' type tires either. I don't need to, to know they're ****.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
You used stock shocks too right?
Ofcourse not. I used truhart sport lowering shocks. But Plenty of guys use stock replacement gr2's and have no complaints
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kozy.
I've never used 'wingwong widowmaker' type tires either. I don't need to, to know they're ****.
Well unless your opinion is based on personal experience using the product, then you're pretty much just makin assumptions and talking out your ***. Not exactly a good way to contribute
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ofcourse not. I used truhart sport lowering shocks. But Plenty of guys use stock replacement gr2's and have no complaints
Well unless your opinion is based on personal experience using the product, then you're pretty much just makin assumptions and talking out your ***. Not exactly a good way to contribute
I was about to explain a few things to you but sometime you just cant fix stupid!!!:hammer :
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Save on shipping and buy yourself a turbo kit while you at it. hehe
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
I was about to explain a few things to you but sometime you just cant fix stupid!!!:hammer :
Another useless response. Way to go
You try to make your self seem smart and high and mighty, but yet you explain nothing and share no personal experience.

I understand spring rates, and that a stock replacement shock isn't designed to handle the higher spring rates of lowering springs. But eibach pro are pretty close to stock springs rates without a lot of drop, which is largely why i chose them. I wanted the ride to be as comfortable as possible.
I done lots of research before I lowered my car. I decided against gr2 or blues since they're both notjing more than a stock replacement

So instead of being an insulting and disrespectful, how about you type something helpful or useful next time? Otherwise, talking out your ***. There's plenty of that here already
-----------------------------------------

Now that that's out of the way. Maybe someone can explain how these inexpensive coilovers are worse than any other coilover sleeve that simply sits in the perch. Besides the spring rates being less than ideal, and not made of the best steel

I drove mine all over hell and back, rough washed out trails and hills riddled with huge holes and rocks, that most wouldn't dare take their cars. i done this without worry because it was a cheap beater and I didn't really care if something broke. I never had a bad experience with mine. And that's on oem shocks.
But to be fair, I had them adjusted to stock height

I respect Tyson's, though. he seems fairly knowledgable. So if he say they're ****(or comparable to ****) then they probably are. But I think the poor quality is pretty exaggerated based on my own personal experience

Last edited by reflexion; 03-03-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe someone can explain how these inexpensive coilovers are worse than any other coilover sleeve that simply sits in the perch. Besides the spring rates being less than ideal, and not made of the best steel
i believe you just explained why they suck...

theyre far from ideal to be frank.

a little historical perspective, these "coilover" sleeves have been available on ebay for a long time now, probably over a decade. the SAME aluminum (not steel, its cheaper and easier to machine) sleeves and springs were sold for pretty much every car out there at the time, for eclipses, integras, bmw, etc... there was NO customization, or tuning. the just the same cheap spring and sleeve. ive seen these springs in junkyard cars. i took some away just to compare and YES! they are ****. over the years ive seen springs break and sleeves split. its rare, and probably due to misuse (go figure with the typical user just buying the cheapest **** out there).

GC has been the original designer for hondas and BMW suspension with custom rates, "stock rates" for each car. even integra and CRX springs were different, because the cars were different. and the sleeves were machined to fit the stock shock, or even a koni specific application. and of course theyre using and compatible with the whole range of Eibach Race Springs, which we all know are quality springs.

Then you have Skunk2 coming out with their sleeve over copy, already established as a junk brand with all their product coming from china. also unknown springs. no specific customization for honda shocks either. pretty much you can assume the same cheap **** as ebay.

yeah sure you can make skunk2 and ebay coilovers hold up your car, and adjust the height with them. and just hope they dont break. fine. ive even told ppl on this forum to just go ahead and use them, because like you admitted, they didnt seem to give a ****. so why bother, go ahead and use **** and get shitty results.

to continue the analogy, you dont have to eat **** to know what **** tastes like. but hey, dogs do, and they seem to enjoy it...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used many eBay brand products. They are not good. The cheap chinese stuff there is horrid. Everything is junk. I've ordered steering wheels, tail lights, BOVs, ect. It's all junk. It's all super low quality garbage.

My steering wheel was my first time using eBay junk. It ripped and fell apart. Thank god I was only using it while I cleaned and rewrapped the OEM wheel.

The tail lights were due to getting a ticket for having a dinged up tail light. Bought a set for $50 or whatever on eBay. The leaked, blew out the bulbs, and blew out the fuses. Caused some electrical issues. Definitely not worth it. Went to the junkyard, replaced them for $15.

Lastly. I got a BOV with a piping kit on eBay. I never used it. I filed a complaint actually because it was so bad. They gave me 20% of my money back for the BOV. I trashed it anyways. The inside had burrs all over and the flange had pin holes. It was useless. Who knows if it would even function. It was free with the piping kit, which is why I got it anyways. I would never use it. Probably end up with flaked off metal in the intake.

Long story short, avoid most things eBay. If it is an important part of the vehicle that needs to function for safety, definitely don't go cheap. Shocks/springs/struts/dampers/coilovers, whatever you call em, hold the car up. Don't cheap out on them.

I could go on and on about it. I have ordered stuff on eBay and left negative reviews, filed complaints, got my money back, given them a hard time. It's not worth it. I do it so hopefully someone will read the damn review and see "OMG THIS IS JUNK AVOID IT" instead of all the fake, "A++++ GREAT SELLER" reviews on there. Look where half those reviews come from. They are usually stamps or something useless being sold for $0.01 plus shipping. Half of eBay is just a scam.

/end rant
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Er, it's a perfectly good way to contribute actually. It's up to people to make their own decisions, for that they need opinions.

On one hand you've got the guys that 'actually tried them and they were brilliant' but who drive clapped out **** heaps they have no regard for, no real suspension knowledge and nothing decent to compare to.

On the other hand, you've got the guys who know their stuff, buy the quality gear and generally take pride in their ride.

I think that represents a decent cross section to take advice from.

If people want to go on the opinion of people that would probably lick a dog turd to check it wasn't chocolate, then that's their call.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kozy.
Er, it's a perfectly good way to contribute actually. It's up to people to make their own decisions, for that they need opinions.

On one hand you've got the guys that 'actually tried them and they were brilliant' but who drive clapped out **** heaps they have no regard for, no real suspension knowledge and nothing decent to compare to.

On the other hand, you've got the guys who know their stuff, buy the quality gear and generally take pride in their ride.

I think that represents a decent cross section to take advice from.

If people want to go on the opinion of people that would probably lick a dog turd to check it wasn't chocolate, then that's their call.
I'm usually down to try something if it is cheap enough. And I have. eBay stuff is junk. OP, trust me! I am the guy that uses bolt on O2 bungs just to test them out, ect. The eBay stuff is HORRIBLE. That is a fact. It's not even worth it for the money.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally i wouldnt use ebay **** on my car. there no use to waste your money on ebay **** and later on buy the "good quality" part later down the road because it broke down
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you cheap out on suspension? Thats performance and more importantly safety. I wouldnt buy any suspension or brake **** from ebay. **** I bought ball joints from ebay once and they didnt even have cotter pins and a kind nut. Just "locking nuts". Safety first. You want some hids or fog lights or maybe a window visor or some **** hit up ebay but not for suspension and brakes or even motor

Quick Reply: ebay coilovers?