Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Drum brakes question(s) (just did the shoes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum brakes question(s) (just did the shoes)

I am so pissed.

Drum brakes are the biggest pain in the *** ever.

The first one took me like 3 hours to put ONE back together. After spending so much time doing that, I'm an expert on this now lol and did the other side in 10-15 mins heh.

Anyways, two questions for you experts (I'm a dumbass when it comes to knowing "theory" related things about cars, all I can do it take out and replace parts).

When I was doing the first one, the cylinder popped open. One of the sides just fell out, and some fluid came out. I quickly put it back in, and finished the job because the part store was closed so I couldn't buy a new one and I couldn't just leave the car like that. So I just put everything back and finished the other side (which went fine, cylinder didn't pop open).

Anyways, the other thing that I messed up was I for some reason pushed on the brake pedal while I had everything apart (both drums were off the car). Obvoiusly it just went straight to the floor.

So, now, after I put everything back, the pedal just goes to the floor now. The handbrake does work, however. I tried turning the car on and it still jsut goes to the floor, so I didn't drive it.

Knowing the two "mishaps" in my little project here, what is my course of actoin? I am guessing I need to bleed the brakes, but my questions are:

1) Do you guys think the cylinder is okay since it opened but I put it back quickly? Or do I need to replace it? Any way to test it?

2) Why did the brake pedal go to the floor? If everything had gone smoothly, I thought it would be at least "okay" when I finished it up, but would need to be bled to be "perfect". Is it because I pressed the brakes while the drum was off, or because the cylinder opened, or why?

3) Did I mess anythign else up by being an idiot ?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Drum brakes question(s) (BlitzSix)

Assuming that you don't have a brake fluid leak from the wheel cylinder in question, then bleeding the air from the brake system will likely fix the problem.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had that happen when i changed my shoes, the wheel cylinder leaked in air into the brake system, that's why it goes to the floor. You need to bleed the brakes on all 4 wheels. Use only honda genuine fluid.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drum brakes question(s) (ke98248)

Thanks Ron.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had that happen when i changed my shoes, the wheel cylinder leaked in air into the brake system, that's why it goes to the floor. You need to bleed the brakes on all 4 wheels. Use only honda genuine fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. So you're saying your cylinder also fell open like that, and it was fine after? That is is a relief.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i assume it would have been if the brake bleeder orfice wasn't seized on it, and broke.. lol, had to order a new one from napa, really cheap like $17 bucks.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Drum brakes question(s) (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i assume it would have been if the brake bleeder orfice wasn't seized on it, and broke.. lol, had to order a new one from napa, really cheap like $17 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NAPA wheel cyls are good, lasted me 6 years (w/o failure) on my last project. That car is off the road now.