Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Doing a ls/vtec swap in my 96 ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a ls/vtec swap in my 96 ex

i am doing an ls/vtec swap in my 96 ex. i have a few questions

1. can i use my p2p ecu to run my ls/vtec (gsr head w/ blox intake manifold)??

2. the crank speed flu. sensor on the y8 motor and harness is 3 wires and the b18b one is 2 wire. can i use the y8 sensor and 3 wire plug on my b18??

3. if have to use a p72 ecu will it throw a code for the iab solenoid since i dont need it bc of the blox IM??

4. also if need to use p72 ecu are all the pins in the same place as the p2p

basically tell me what wiring and ecu/tune i should use to run an ls/vtec in a 96 civic with d16y8

i got the mount info axle info and shift linkage info already. now all i need it the wiring ecu/tune info
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Doing a ls/vtec swap in my 96 ex

THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT DO IT ANY OTHER WAY AND YOU WILL BE SELLING YOUR LSVTEC SAYING ITS A PIECE OF JUNK LIKE ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING
OBD2 TO OBD1 CONVERSION ON THE COMPUTER YOU MUST USE THE B18 SENSORS THERE ARE DIAGRAMS ON THAT LINK AT THE BOTTOM THAT WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING THEN USE A P28 ITS THE ONLY COMPUTER IT IGNORES ALL THE SENSORS THAT AN OBD2 CAR HAS THAT YOU WONT USE LIKE THE KNOCK SENSOR AND IAB SENSOR BECAUSE OBD1 DIDN'T HAVE IT BUT YOU HAVE TO GET THE P28 TUNED UNLESS YOU WANNA BUY MINE ITS READY TO GO YOUR GONNA HAVE TO THE CONVERSION GASKET,SEARCH GOLDEN EAGLE,GET AN OIL LINE THAT RUNS INTO YOUR OIL FILTER TO FEED THE HEAD ALSO TAP THE HEAD AND RUN THE OIL LINE INTO THE HEAD, REWIRE DISTRIBUTOR AND ALTERNATOR CHANGE OIL PUMP TO VTEC MODEL, (IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT IT ZERO BALANCE CRANK BECAUSE VTEC MODELS ARE BECAUSE OF THE HIGHER RPMS AND GET A VTEC GIRDLE IT ON ALL VTEC MODELS IT STRENGTHS THE BLOCK SO YOU DON'T GO SHIFTING AT 9000 AND BLOW IT UP ITS ONLY LOGICAL TO BUILD THE LS LIKE A VTEC BOTTOM END NO ONE EVER DOES THEN IT GOES BOOOOM) AFTER A MONTH OR TWO OF I REVVING V8 EMBARRASSING FUN. I WOULD USE A B16 GIVES YOU ALOT MORE TOP END AND MORE HORSEPOWER THAN THE GSR WHAT YEAR DID THE
AND i have a p28 for sale but its modified for a type r shift a 9000 rev limit at 9200 to be safe 3500 vtec kick in usb cord to hook to laptop to display dyno and gauges just one problem my laptop screen broke would have to send you my hard drive with it so you could get the program WATCH OUT WHEN YOUR DONE I WAS DESTROYING EVERYTHING AND YOU GET A B16 TRANNY WITH LSD SWAP OUT THE FIFTH GEAR FROM AN LS AND IT RAISES YOUR TOP SPEED I WAS TOYING WITH MUSTANG GTS HAD TO DAMN NEAR STOP SO THEY COULD CATCH UP AND I KNOW THEY DO ABOUT A 150 WELL THE ONE I RACED DID IT WAS TUNED I BET THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME HE LOST TO A HONDA I FIGURE I WAS GOING ABOUT A BUCK SIXTY CUZ I WALKED ALL OVER A BMW 745 HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS LETS ME KNOW THIS SITE WILL HELP YOU THOUGH LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/wiring-gurus-obd1-motor-obd2-harness-pic-extensive-2203580/

Last edited by adams90crx@msn.com; 01-23-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use the p2p ecu, it might run the ls/vtec setup, but I wouldnt recommend using it. I'd get an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness and use an OBD1 P28, P30, or P72. Whichever ecu, you'll need to be tuned.
The secondary butterflies dont throw CEL's if they're not hooked up.
Refer to this for wiring differences:
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98GSR-Turbo
i am doing an ls/vtec swap in my 96 ex. i have a few questions

1. can i use my p2p ecu to run my ls/vtec (gsr head w/ blox intake manifold)??

2. the crank speed flu. sensor on the y8 motor and harness is 3 wires and the b18b one is 2 wire. can i use the y8 sensor and 3 wire plug on my b18??

3. if have to use a p72 ecu will it throw a code for the iab solenoid since i dont need it bc of the blox IM??

4. also if need to use p72 ecu are all the pins in the same place as the p2p

basically tell me what wiring and ecu/tune i should use to run an ls/vtec in a 96 civic with d16y8

i got the mount info axle info and shift linkage info already. now all i need it the wiring ecu/tune info
1. NO.. it will give you a check engine light for "knock sensor" you will need a chipped ecu that disables the knock sensor. ex:p28,p30,p72

2.You dont need to wire the CFK sensor because your not gonna try and pass smog.. ITS AN LS VTEC! Ignore it

3. No it will not throw a code for the IAB sensor even if you unplugg it. Its perfectly fine to run without it plugged in.

4. You dont have to worry about pins on the ecu. What you need to worry about is the engine harness. Look to number 1 on recommended ecus

You have a d16y8 harness which means plug and play. No modifications needed but maybe some lengthening of the wires. Also non of the evap purge solenoid plugs will need to be plugged in therefore your gonna see alot of wires that arent plug to anything. What you need to do now is find a chipped ecu that doesnt look for a knocksensor. preferably a chipped p28

Now you need to find yourself a obd1 conversion harness and an obd1 ecu so you can get it tuned.

Last edited by raidacaipo; 01-24-2009 at 07:09 PM.