Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What tools do I need for an engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tools do I need for an engine swap?

When I get my Civic (hopefully next week?), eventually I want to buy a B18B1 engine from somewhere like hmotors and swap it to my Civic. But I have questions concerning moving and removing the engines. Do you buy a certain kind of engine stand and a miniature crane device to lift the engine out or what?

Also, where do I go to get an engine rebuilt? I want to swap in an engine that will last forever and is like new. I also plan to do wire tuck. I just want to have a very clean and visually awesome engine bay.

Sorry if this thread is dumb, but I have hardly any mechanical experience. I will go search engine swap threads now. Feel free to post your favorite or bookmarked B18B1 engine swap threads. Thx and hopefully your input can help others, not just me.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What tools do I need for an engine swap? (FrederickRighteous)

if u dont have much machenic knowledge or experience. u better have a shop do the swap and rebuild the enigne for you. if u want to diy swap. u will need a eninge hoist. engine stand is not necessary. a nice set of tools.sockets. wrenches. breaker bar.torque wrench. multimeter..etc.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What tools do I need for an engine swap? (FrederickRighteous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FrederickRighteous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I get my Civic (hopefully next week?), eventually I want to buy a B18B1 engine from somewhere like hmotors and swap it to my Civic. But I have questions concerning moving and removing the engines. Do you buy a certain kind of engine stand and a miniature crane device to lift the engine out or what?

Also, where do I go to get an engine rebuilt? I want to swap in an engine that will last forever and is like new. I also plan to do wire tuck. I just want to have a very clean and visually awesome engine bay.

Sorry if this thread is dumb, but I have hardly any mechanical experience. I will go search engine swap threads now. Feel free to post your favorite or bookmarked B18B1 engine swap threads. Thx and hopefully your input can help others, not just me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont worry about rebuilding the engine to make it last forever. Usually the motors sold at H motors are clean and with very low mileage anyway. I'd trust a used factory motor over a garage assembled (or most machine shop assembled) motor.

It's a B18B1....chances are that gramma wasn't revving to 9k and pushing 20psi on it. The engine you buy will probably be fine for a LOOONG ASSSSS TIIIIMMMEE. If it blows up, it will cost less to replace it than to have a machine shop or engine building shop rebuild it. Blow up, rinse, repeat.

You probably wont blow it up, though if you keep it NA. This sounds cliche...but it's a Honda and they do really last for ever if you take care of them and keep them close to stock.

The engine swap is easy. I did one not knowing anything about anything way back in the day. If you're mechanically inclined, can keep organized, and have good common sense, you'll do fine. Look up some engine swaps threads and read read read. Dont read the garbage opinion bullshit. Just read the facts. "how to" threads are a good source.

The wire tuck will be more involved. You really shouldn't tackle that one without prior electrical and mechanical knowledge. Or you will end up with a car that never runs.....in a few months, you will sell it and buy something more boring so you can have something to drive with no headaches.

Keep it simple, research, learn, then tackle the hard stuff.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM

I have basic tools. Socket set. Jackstands, a jack. Breaker bar, ect. I have a nice air compressor (no air tools yet).

Going to need an engine hoist it seems.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a LOT easier to drop the engine from the bottom, rather than raising it from the top with a hoist...
If you lower the car onto its belly, place the engine on a low set of skates/wheels/cart/etc and then raise the chassis up high...you can just roll the entire assembly from under it in a few mins.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What tools do I need for an engine swap?

Originally Posted by pdiggitydogg
Its a LOT easier to drop the engine from the bottom, rather than raising it from the top with a hoist...
If you lower the car onto its belly, place the engine on a low set of skates/wheels/cart/etc and then raise the chassis up high...you can just roll the entire assembly from under it in a few mins.
yea true