Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does lowering my 97 civic cause rack & pinion issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does lowering my 97 civic cause rack & pinion issues?

So long story short I have a full koni shocks and gc coilovers on my 97 sedan that has si rims. My rack is leaking and upon talking to my mechanic he said that it's possible because of the car being lowered that even after I replace the rack I could wind up destroying the new one I put on because of the car being lowered?

Thoughts/input on this?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does lowering my 97 civic cause rack & pinion issues?

how low are you?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are plenty of lowered cars that don't leak at the steering rack.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im slammed on coil overs on 17s tucking tires never had a prob just the inner tie rod leaks a lilttle where it connects to outer tie road but that started before i lowered it... smoothest corners and handling ever and power steering works fine .. just need my alignment
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolo95
how low are you?
I got 195/55/15 tires and I can get my hand between the tire and the front fender, the back there is no room to get anything more than the tip of my finger. I had it lowered awhile ago so I don't recall exactly how many inches it was dropped. Sorry for the crappy pics I should of opened the garage door

Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt read the whole story before posting.. the mechanic is a retard, its leaking prolly because its old and mechanics and older people always have doubts on lowered sick civics
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Str8EJ
There are plenty of lowered cars that don't leak at the steering rack.
that's what I thought too, as I sit here and think about how many Honda's are out there slammed and mine is not as slammed as it could be. My driver side tie arm was pretty loose also but I am going to have it tightened up Sunday now that I got ahold of the correct tool to do the job.

When we talked about the rack he was saying the arms instead of having an arc going down to the arms they are now like a u because of the stance. (if I am reciting him correctly)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im runnin 205/40/17 on front and 205/45/17 on rear. need to put my camber kit on sittin in the garage. do u have camber kit? if not u should prolly invest in one even tho i put coils on my car it really doesnt ruin inside of tires.. that that fast
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kwikcivik731
i didnt read the whole story before posting.. the mechanic is a retard, its leaking prolly because its old and mechanics and older people always have doubts on lowered sick civics
quite possible, he is a really super nice guy but is older. I'm going to buy a new rack that comes with a lifetime warranty from this place I found online in SC called rackmaster unless you have a better suggestion.

Originally Posted by kwikcivik731
im runnin 205/40/17 on front and 205/45/17 on rear. need to put my camber kit on sittin in the garage. do u have camber kit? if not u should prolly invest in one even tho i put coils on my car it really doesnt ruin inside of tires.. that that fast
I don't have a camber kit but I have been looking at a skunk2 one because when I had my tires rotated I do have some inside wear. He wasn't sure if it was because of the camber or the toe because of the tie rod arms being so loose. I can look at it from a far and see the front tires and leaning a bit, so I need to order the camber kit for the front.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slammed, it can cause faster wear on ball joints, tie rod ends and such. I doubt it did anything to the rack though. I'd still lift it back up closer to stock height (inch to inch and a half drop) and ignore anyone talking about camber kits unless you're trying to get more negative camber for better handling. If you stay slammed, you can get the front kit and then get some washers for the rear to put between the UCA and body
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
Slammed, it can cause faster wear on ball joints, tie rod ends and such. I doubt it did anything to the rack though. I'd still lift it back up closer to stock height (inch to inch and a half drop) and ignore anyone talking about camber kits unless you're trying to get more negative camber for better handling.
I've been looking at doing bigger rims so less drop, and the camber kit would be to keep the tires from wearing on the inside. I just swapped my fronts to the back and there is some noticeable camber wear on the inside of the 2 tires.