Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another jdm engine BAR question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Another jdm engine BAR question

To start and i searched already and read mixed reviews

I got reffed the other nite and ow am going to try to get m car bar'd. I have a b16a in my 95 dx ej1. I am running on p28 at this moment ad i am about to pic up a p30. My question is should i just pay the bailout or is it possible to get it bar'd. I need help quick
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another jdm engine BAR question

my friend's just bar his eg jdm b16 like last month. Everything went will. He just have to convert dizzy, intake manifold, injectors and some other things to usa version. We also live in Sacramento California too, so they are very strict about bar. If you do everything right, you should be good. Only cost like 30-40 buck to bar a car. You should go for it.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe the only thing missing from an OBD1 jdm B16a is the evap purge, I think you need to swap the intake manifold for it, other than that you just need a USDM P30 and you will be all set
Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kool this makes me more optimistic. Does ride height matter when getting bar'd? Another question i had was how can i check if the engine is hot besides calling it in?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ejoneZC_949
Kool this makes me more optimistic. Does ride height matter when getting bar'd? Another question i had was how can i check if the engine is hot besides calling it in?
no height does not matter since your only taking it to the ref, they just care about the motor/emissions..and what do yo u mean by checking if it's hot by calling it in? temp gauge on the cluster should say..unless your thermo is out.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phoxking
no height does not matter since your only taking it to the ref, they just care about the motor/emissions..and what do yo u mean by checking if it's hot by calling it in? temp gauge on the cluster should say..unless your thermo is out.

I meant if its stolen or not. Dude i bought the car from said it wasnt but wanna make sure. Guess its a little late since i already bought it but i wanna find out.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant if its stolen or not. Dude i bought the car from said it wasnt but wanna make sure. Guess its a little late since i already bought it but i wanna find out.
oh well i have papers for my motor, since it came off my last car, but the motor has no vin on it and they didn't ask when i took it to ref to attempt to get my motor bar'd not sure though if they'll ask you at your ref station..
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by team 15
my friend's just bar his eg jdm b16 like last month. Everything went will. He just have to convert dizzy, intake manifold, injectors and some other things to usa version. We also live in Sacramento California too, so they are very strict about bar. If you do everything right, you should be good. Only cost like 30-40 buck to bar a car. You should go for it.

Where in Sac did you go to get it bar'ed?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well i have papers for my motor, since it came off my last car, but the motor has no vin on it and they didn't ask when i took it to ref to attempt to get my motor bar'd not sure though if they'll ask you at your ref station..

where did you take yours?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you take yours?
the one in Huntington at golden west..but i heard fullertons is much easier or you if you know another place.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride height does matter if it's too slow. If your car is scraping the on-ramp, they won't even touch your car. If you pass, you pay a $8.50 fee. As far as vin #'s, your car/motor is obd1, they're will be none to check not unless you have a obd2 motor. There's two stations in Sacramento, one at Florin and the other at American River College. I would recommend the one at Florin. Feel free to call 1-800-622-7723.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

having a full catback exhuast system shouldnt matter too right?? as long as u got stock header and stock cat everything show pass right??
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ricky00
having a full catback exhuast system shouldnt matter too right?? as long as u got stock header and stock cat everything show pass right??
It should pass the sniffer is visually you pass. You can have aftermarket header and cat. if it's made for your motor. I failed 3x with dc gsr header and magnaflow cat.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you can get a jdm b16 bar'd?
i want to know how things go after you see the ref. im going to be swapping in a jdm b16 soon and would like to get my car bar'd as well.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to the one on florin too, pass with flying colors. just make sure you have all the right emissions stuff with carb #s, as if youre going to get smogged. they dont smog there. only visual.

i have a ob2b gsr, i was using a obd2a gsr ecu with a jumper harness, they mentioned it and said its okay to have it and i still passed.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOOdS
i went to the one on florin too, pass with flying colors. just make sure you have all the right emissions stuff with carb #s, as if youre going to get smogged. they dont smog there. only visual.

i have a ob2b gsr, i was using a obd2a gsr ecu with a jumper harness, they mentioned it and said its okay to have it and i still passed.
They smog it there. I don't know about that jumper harness.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While there isn't a VIN on a JDM motor (nor a USDM OBD1 motor), the block number IS traceable. However, my REF didn't bother to do that. He didn't even ask for a bill of sale, although it's wise to have one just in case they ask.

My point is, you may go through all the trouble of BARing the motor, only to get pulled over by a state trooper, get your hood popped, and then be told you've got a hot motor. Just sayin...it can happen. Probably won't but...

fm
Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
While there isn't a VIN on a JDM motor (nor a USDM OBD1 motor), the block number IS traceable. However, my REF didn't bother to do that. He didn't even ask for a bill of sale, although it's wise to have one just in case they ask.

My point is, you may go through all the trouble of BARing the motor, only to get pulled over by a state trooper, get your hood popped, and then be told you've got a hot motor. Just sayin...it can happen. Probably won't but...

fm
Do care to elaborate on how they trace the block number?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fm
aha!! this has happen to my cousin bro-n-law.. he ref his gsr in his eg.. he had bought his motor from this one shop, took it to go bar, n the ref didnt run block so he passed with flying colors!!.. only a week afterward he gets pulled over by a chp and they trace his block only to find out it was stolen!!!!... so he told them where he brought the block from since he was not at fault(had reciepts) so they took his motor out of his car!! and went after the shop
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gl bro
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Do care to elaborate on how they trace the block number?
I'd be happy to. As ricky00's cousin/bro-in-law's experience confirms, all they have to do is have the VIN officer (there's one at every CHP office) run the number. The DMV has block number info with VINs. If you don't believe me, go to a dealership and LOOK at the window sticker. On that sticker, you'll see VIN and a BLOCK NUMBER. The DMV has a record of this when the car is sold. Only the VIN officer (in CA anyway) has the authority to run a block number against the DMV's database.

So, let's say an OBD1 GSR gets stolen. The VIN is recorded by the DMV as having been stolen. The motor has no VIN on it, but the block number is paired up with the VIN in the DMV's database. The VIN officer can look up the block number, trace it back to the original VIN, and see that it was in a stolen car. Game over, as ricky00's cousin/bro-in-law found out.

Now, with a JDM motor, there won't be a record of it at the DMV since no USDM car would have ever come with a JDM motor. So it's much less likely that a JDM motor would come up as stolen UNLESS it was previously BAR'd and the REF bothered to note the block number in DMV records. If the REF did note it, it may or may not be printed on the BAR label.

The safe thing to do BEFORE you buy the motor is the contact the CHP and ask for the VIN officer. Tell them you are planning on buying a motor that has no VIN (since it's OBD1) and ask him to run the block number. He will do that for you. If it comes up clear, you're good to go. If it's stolen, be prepared for a visit from your local CHP and to answer many questions. I did this with the block I'm having built now, just to be d@mn sure I wasn't caught with my pants down. I sure as hell don't want to have to explain to my wife why the CHP came and impounded my car.

So, as I stated before, just because you bought yourself a VINless OBD1 motor doesn't mean you're in the clear. You might be walking home after a hood-popping if you don't do your homework.

fm
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
They smog it there. I don't know about that jumper harness.
they didnt smog when i went in 2009. i asked about smog, they said just smog when its time to renew registration. they could have changed things now.
when did you go?

and yeah i passed with a jumper harness. they even mentioned it to me, and said its no big deal. i was using an obd2a gsr ecu and the motor was a obd2b.

the only thing they told me to get fixed was the sensor for the power steering. i didnt have it. but they still passed me, and said for me to put it in.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOOdS
they didnt smog when i went in 2009. i asked about smog, they said just smog when its time to renew registration. they could have changed things now.
when did you go?

and yeah i passed with a jumper harness. they even mentioned it to me, and said its no big deal. i was using an obd2a gsr ecu and the motor was a obd2b.

the only thing they told me to get fixed was the sensor for the power steering. i didnt have it. but they still passed me, and said for me to put it in.
wow nice. i have obd2a motor but going to run obd2a-obd1..highly doubt they'll pass me, but do you guys know where i can find the block number? i'm positive mine isn't stolen since it belonged in my last integra which was in my name and still have the copy of the title and etc..but i just wanna make sure as well on how to check the block n call chp for future references
Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow nice. i have obd2a motor but going to run obd2a-obd1..highly doubt they'll pass me, but do you guys know where i can find the block number? i'm positive mine isn't stolen since it belonged in my last integra which was in my name and still have the copy of the title and etc..but i just wanna make sure as well on how to check the block n call chp for future references
Correct me if Im wrong nut it should be right under the engine code "b16" and right under that there is a long number
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be happy to. As ricky00's cousin/bro-in-law's experience confirms, all they have to do is have the VIN officer (there's one at every CHP office) run the number. The DMV has block number info with VINs. If you don't believe me, go to a dealership and LOOK at the window sticker. On that sticker, you'll see VIN and a BLOCK NUMBER. The DMV has a record of this when the car is sold. Only the VIN officer (in CA anyway) has the authority to run a block number against the DMV's database.

So, let's say an OBD1 GSR gets stolen. The VIN is recorded by the DMV as having been stolen. The motor has no VIN on it, but the block number is paired up with the VIN in the DMV's database. The VIN officer can look up the block number, trace it back to the original VIN, and see that it was in a stolen car. Game over, as ricky00's cousin/bro-in-law found out.

Now, with a JDM motor, there won't be a record of it at the DMV since no USDM car would have ever come with a JDM motor. So it's much less likely that a JDM motor would come up as stolen UNLESS it was previously BAR'd and the REF bothered to note the block number in DMV records. If the REF did note it, it may or may not be printed on the BAR label.

The safe thing to do BEFORE you buy the motor is the contact the CHP and ask for the VIN officer. Tell them you are planning on buying a motor that has no VIN (since it's OBD1) and ask him to run the block number. He will do that for you. If it comes up clear, you're good to go. If it's stolen, be prepared for a visit from your local CHP and to answer many questions. I did this with the block I'm having built now, just to be d@mn sure I wasn't caught with my pants down. I sure as hell don't want to have to explain to my wife why the CHP came and impounded my car.

So, as I stated before, just because you bought yourself a VINless OBD1 motor doesn't mean you're in the clear. You might be walking home after a hood-popping if you don't do your homework.

fm
Good info. Last time I called some department, I can't remember which one but they said they can't run the block numbers. I think it was local Sac P.D. or sheriff station.

Quick Reply: Another jdm engine BAR question