Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

difficult to start when cold..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difficult to start when cold..

hello, new here, I've done a search, but like the other forums and the rest of the net there is so much info, it may be easier if I describe my problem and someone knows what it is, rather than surf for the next 2 months,appreciate the help

I have just bough a civic 1.6 ls (1997) the CEL light is on (which I knew before I bought, but at £360 I didn't expect much) the car runs perfect when warm, but is very difficult to start when cold, I will be checking the obvious (plugs ect ) at the weekend, the battery will turn it for 5 or 6 times before it starts, so I guess thats ok...

cold weather in the morning (it about -2c in the morning here at the mo) you turn the key, and it turns and fire straight away, but then dies. you need to do this about 5-6 times before you can "catch" it with the gas and keep it running. as soon as its been running a few minutes its fine. the temp gauge reads correctly, and it doesn't overheat, there doesn't appear to be any other engine issues (rest of the car isn't bad!)

I assume its a sensor of some kind, as it simply appears as if the ECU thinks the engine is warm all the time!

Any ideas? (without me having to go to a honda dealer and pay more than the cars worth to find the problem!)

thanks in advance