Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

diff between kyb agx and koni yellow

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff between kyb agx and koni yellow

how much of i differnce is there in these two shocks. my otions are a set of used skunk 2 coilevers and koni yellows for 475( used for 10 months) or brand new agx' and skunk 2 coilovers for 550? which would be better, im not autox ing or anyhting like that just want more performance
Old 11-01-2002, 11:10 AM

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (c1civic)

AGX Shocks feature KYB's unique progressive valving which allows the shock's performance to adapt to road conditions. Under smooth road conditions, the shock travels up and down slowly and the valving allows the shock to travel freely for a more compliant ride. When the wheels travel over rough conditions, the shock moves faster. The KYB valve responds instantly, making response firmer to maintain tire contact and vehicle control. This valving varies both the rebound and the compression strokes of the shock with the speed that the shock travels.

KONI yellows are designed to provide a more aggressive upgrade when compared with the factory setup. It will have a considerable valve rate increase in compression and rebound to provide the highest level of handling possible. Certain vehicle applications will also feature a special height adjustment feature that allows the user to give additional height increase or height reduction desired.

[Modified by webbman44, 3:11 PM 11/1/2002]
Old 11-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (c1civic)

KYB doesn't recommend lowering the car more than 1.5" with the AGX's. I would recommend the Koni's. I have them and love them.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (webbman44)

I've had both and the Koni Yellow and KYB/AGXs and the Konis are definately better, but the KYB/AGX are still great for the money.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (B18C5-EH2)

everyone say kyb agx are good for the money but how do the two rides compare

konis=?

kyb agx=?

i will buy the konis if i need to but if not i will go with the agx
Old 12-10-2002, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (silverEG6)

If your really picky and don't mind spending some extra money on good parts the KONI's will suit you well.
If you are more budget minded the AGX struts will work just fine.

I've installed and used both in my car as well as friends' cars. With lower spring rates the AGX struts worked well but in some cases I found that the KONI's handled higher spring rate coils better than the AGX's. This comparision was made with 1.5" of ride reduction so the "no lower than 1.5" can be ruled out.
Don't take this the wrong way though...the AGX's are a great strut for the money. Personally I'd always go with the KONI's if I had the choice.

**I'd also suggest the KONI's if you plan to use GC sleeves. The install is alot cleaner looking because with the correct GC adapters the KONI spring pearches can be removed. Just an opinion I though I would add.**

[Modified by SLPR, 9:05 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (SLPR)

I found that on this board everyone asks
"will KYBs handle this" "can KYBs this and that"

I dont really remember seeing any threads about Konis doing that?
Only responces I see about Yellows are that, they always make it! hah
spend the extra 150-200 on yellows. Its worth it. I'm on them now and havent regretted spending the cash since I bought them. Ride is kewl. I have no compliants at all.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (ransack)

Another difference is that if you only get the single-adjustable Konis, you can only adjust rebound, not compression.

When you adjust the KYB AGX's, you are adjusting both the compression and the rebound at the same time.

That's one reason Yellows seem to ride better. You can make them as stiff as you want, but the compression hit will always feel the same.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (Mojo-Jojo)

thanks ill go with the konis, right now i am rolling on cut eibach sportlines and 180,000 mile stock honda shocks, so anything will probably be better than this
Old 12-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (silverEG6)

I don't want to take over this thread, but considering we're talking shocks, how do you think the Tokico Illumnas compare? I had AGXs on my 99 Nissan Sentra, and I wasn't terribly impressed by them (then again, the car was lower than it should have been – shock travel? What's shock travel? )

Anyways, Tokico Illumnas – any good?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (Sushiboy)

how do you think the Tokico Illumnas compare?
to Konis ?
no contest , the tokicos are a cheap shock like KYB's
Old 12-10-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (Doctor CorteZ)

I hated my Tokico Illuminas, they leaked shortly after installation and it was not the result of being lowerd too much at all.
The Tokico blues I had in my CRX were alright but not as good as the KONIs I have now.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Koni=quality product. Period.

They are OEM quality. Nothing bad can be said about their products. My yellows were one of the best mods to my car. Phenomenal shocks.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:15 PM
New User

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (gamby)

Never ran on yellows, however I ran on reds. They were awesome.

I'm in debate over H&R stage 3.5 cup-kit, or H&R race springs and koni yellows or ayb. From this thread Koni's are the obvious. The race springs are the height I want; 2.5/2.25. The cup-kit is too heigh; 1.75/1.5 - Since I might be autocrossing next year.

Damn, I can never make up my mind.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (B18C5-EH2)

I've had both and the Koni Yellow and KYB/AGXs and the Konis are definately better, but the KYB/AGX are still great for the money.
Was this
stock koni vs KYB
or
shortened/revalved koni vs. KYB?

Just wondering, I would concur that konis are better than the kyb's.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:05 AM

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (w00t!)

I'm in debate over H&R stage 3.5 cup-kit, or H&R race springs and koni yellows or ayb. From this thread Koni's are the obvious. The race springs are the height I want; 2.5/2.25. The cup-kit is too heigh; 1.75/1.5 - Since I might be autocrossing next year..
The H&R cup kit is H&R race springs and KONI yellow struts. The KONIs are just painted gray instead of yellow. Same exact strut though. Last time I checked the cup kit was more of a 2.5/2.25 lowering kit. It does have the adjustable spring pearches also you know.
I just thought this info might help your descision.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="blue">Another Koni fan here. Nothing bad I can say about em.
Gr8 quality. Gr8 Adjustability. Very Strong-especially with the state of Irish roads compared to what you guys have.

have Apex springs right now, but ordering H&R race springs this evening with a big order myself and sum friends are puttin in to Autodynamic.com.
I currently have the Koni's on the lower perches F&R but the springs i have are too soft for that,-risk bottoming out the shocks, and the ride is bouncy cos of it. So will put back o the normal perches when get I put the H&R race's on.

Basicly,no matter what you wilkl be using ur ar for, bar jus show car&rarely driven, go Koni's if u can afford em. else...save for a while longer/put sum other mod off for a while and go with Koni's.

Bren</FONT>
Old 12-11-2002, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff between kyb agx and koni yellow (Bren)

I am running the AGXs with GCs and I like it just fine. The AGXs are easy on the pockets, and give you a nice sporty ride, but I would say upgrade to the konis if you wish to push to the sheer performance side. I am happy with my setup all the way around.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:42 PM
New User

I'm in debate over H&R stage 3.5 cup-kit, or H&R race springs and koni yellows or ayb. From this thread Koni's are the obvious. The race springs are the height I want; 2.5/2.25. The cup-kit is too heigh; 1.75/1.5 - Since I might be autocrossing next year..

The H&R cup kit is H&R race springs and KONI yellow struts. The KONIs are just painted gray instead of yellow. Same exact strut though. Last time I checked the cup kit was more of a 2.5/2.25 lowering kit. It does have the adjustable spring pearches also you know.
I just thought this info might help your descision.
H&R's catolag said they struts were bilstein. Eitherway, maybe I should just go with the cup kit. Thanks for the info!