Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck

I got a parts car with rear disc brakes and i want to put them on my civc. I understand i need integra or civic ebrake cables but my questions are...

1. Can i put them on with out the trailing arms? The one on the right side was damaged in a wreck. If so, how do i take them off?

2. Im assuming since the del sol had abs and mine doesn't i can't use the prop valve? I know i can use non abs integra ones but can i use what i already have?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck (JDMjoe86)

You can use the CX control arms, you should also change out the brake booster and Master Cyl. If the delsol has ABS the brake lines should match up. Im using a 7/8th MC from a 95 Civic EX with ABS and it dropped right on. It made a huge difference after driving the car with the old MC for a while. I used a 40/40 prop valve from a 93 GSR it dropped right in with no mods you will need to use the mounting bracket from your CX prop valve. Make sure you change the prop valve and MC over also. The braking is so much better. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck (GReatEDDY)

Thanks man, do you know how to take the rotor off the trailing arms. I would go look at it but its sitting 20 mins away from my apt. Cool i probally will use the master clyinder. Im gonna use the bigger front brakes too.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck (JDMjoe86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjoe86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man, do you know how to take the rotor off the trailing arms. I would go look at it but its sitting 20 mins away from my apt. Cool i probally will use the master clyinder. Im gonna use the bigger front brakes too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

slow down there buddy. just because GReatEDDY said his MC bolted up doesn't mean the del sol will. double check where the ports are on the MC. if they sit different from yours on the CX then the del sol MC will not bolt up stright to your lines. not to mention, if the del sol has a abs MC like the integras, the brake line running to the rear has a larger nut which your 10mm's won't bolt to it.

as for the rear trailing arm, if one was damaged you can take off the whole brake assembly from the rear of the trailing arm and bolt it to your trailing arm. the job will be a pain, might be easier for you to take both of them to a shop and have them remove it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

slow down there buddy. just because GReatEDDY said his MC bolted up doesn't mean the del sol will. double check where the ports are on the MC. if they sit different from yours on the CX then the del sol MC will not bolt up stright to your lines. not to mention, if the del sol has a abs MC like the integras, the brake line running to the rear has a larger nut which your 10mm's won't bolt to it.

as for the rear trailing arm, if one was damaged you can take off the whole brake assembly from the rear of the trailing arm and bolt it to your trailing arm. the job will be a pain, might be easier for you to take both of them to a shop and have them remove it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well all of this stuff is sitting in a wrecked car and all of its free so ill just take it off and take a look at it. Could stainless steel brake lines fix the size problems???
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjoe86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well all of this stuff is sitting in a wrecked car and all of its free so ill just take it off and take a look at it. Could stainless steel brake lines fix the size problems??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it can. you can get custom steel braided lines to run from the MC to the prop valve. this is what i did to get a 1" MC and booster into my civic. along with SS lines at all 4 corners, pedal feel is great.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol VTEC brakes on 92' Civic CX, questions..... searched no luck (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes it can. you can get custom steel braided lines to run from the MC to the prop valve. this is what i did to get a 1" MC and booster into my civic. along with SS lines at all 4 corners, pedal feel is great.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just to make it easier, could i buy ss brk lines for a integra or delsol rather than getting customs ones?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjoe86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just to make it easier, could i buy ss brk lines for a integra or delsol rather than getting customs ones? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can if you were going to add them to each corner. unfortunately you just can't call up password or jhp and get these lines, they have to be made.

i got my lines made by baker precision. these are the measurements i went with.

line#1 is a 24" line w/ 2 90 degree 10mm inverted flare.

line #2 is a 20" line w/ 1 90 degree 12mm inverted flare and 1 90 degree 10mm inverted flare.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About how much did that cost??? Do you think that brk booster would really make a difference? Because it seems to alot of work/money anyways. But i would like to have a nice brk setup...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMjoe86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About how much did that cost??? Do you think that brk booster would really make a difference? Because it seems to alot of work/money anyways. But i would like to have a nice brk setup... </TD></TR></TABLE>

it ran me about $120 w/shipping. would the MC and booster work? of coarse it would work. keep in mind that it has to a combo though. i just didn't add the bigger MC because i was bored. i add the 1" MC/booster, SS lines on all 4, upgraded from the 9" civic brakes to the 10.2" integra brakes in the front and rear disc brakes, i also replaced the prop valve to the 4040 one found on non abs integras.

so does it work, the hell it does,, from the civic set up i had before, my hatch brakes 30% (if not more) better than before, remember it was a packaged deal.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it ran me about $120 w/shipping. would the MC and booster work? of coarse it would work. keep in mind that it has to a combo though. i just didn't add the bigger MC because i was bored. i add the 1" MC/booster, SS lines on all 4, upgraded from the 9" civic brakes to the 10.2" integra brakes in the front and rear disc brakes, i also replaced the prop valve to the 4040 one found on non abs integras.

so does it work, the hell it does,, from the civic set up i had before, my hatch brakes 30% (if not more) better than before, remember it was a packaged deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL ok ok, well i think im gonna go take a look at the del sol today. Im gonna put the front and rear on my hatch. If it wasn't abs equiped (b/c im not 100% it is), do i have a better chance of it bolting straight up? and do you know if the delsol vtec model have the same size front+rear brakes as an integra?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont waste time looking for all the extra brake lines to make a MC work that doesnt bolt right up. If you CX brake lines dont mate right up, find one that does. I found that a 1995 Civic EX with ABS from a 4dr bolted right up to my 92 CX with no mods. Its 7/8 and I bought it for 40 shipped with a brake booster in super shape from ebay member hondapartsunlimited. This guy has first rate used honda parts and ships quick. hes the first place I look for anything honda-acura. You can sell your delsol one for around the same it it doesnt fit. You can either buy a 95-96 Acura integra RS 40/40 or 92-93 Integra GSR 40/40 both will bolt right up to you CX also. Most ppl charge more for the RS one and most dont even suggest the DA on fitting. I found it to be an exact fit as I was pulling a swap out of one I look ed at it and compared it to my CX. The mounting bracket will need to be swapped.

I also suggest that you change over to stainless lines, I bought Russells part# 684600 direct fit. I also suggest speed bleeders also from Russell these little babies will give you great pedal feel and make you bleed job easy and accurate. There website will tell you which part# corresponds to your calibers. http://www.russellperformance.com

Also a big help is go to http://www.hondahookup.com they have a section that has almost every honda OEM service manual you will need.

There are a ton of ways to match up different brake upgrades on your CX, this is just how I did mine, No mods, no custom made anything and stop on a dime.