Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEL SOL START ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEL SOL START ISSUE

im 16 i have a 1994 del sol S with a swapped d16z6 motor, a few days ago i realized my oil was empty and my coolant resivor had oil in it. i check all my fluids everyday after driving so i knew this had recently happened, before my coolant was already draining more each day i would have to refill every 4-5 days. i suspected a head gasket, the temp. gauge slowly climbed to hot and then went back to normal. this happened repeadetly. i changed my head gasket 2 days ago and the car ran great! well monday morning when i went to start the car it hesitated, it would raddle alot, die sometimes and whenever i tried to give it some gas it would die. after a few starts like this it would eventually stay on but when i gave it gas in the low RPMs be very rough and a tiny bit of white smoke came out of pipe (yikes) didnt do it after it warmed up. after i drove it later that day it was fine that whole day started and ran fine. today same thing, the starting problem again. im hoping i didnt over tighten the head bolts i did it to 22ft lbs and then around again to 53ft lbs in the correct tightening order. anyone know what my problem could be? i really do not want to take off the head again but will do so if necessary. any hellp will be appreciated and i did alot of research before attempting this project, didnt just wing it.
(also symptoms before the HG swap are gone)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: DEL SOL START ISSUE

Was the head resurfaced flat by a machine shop?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No it wasnt. i measured it every which way with a level. everytime it checked out as level. i know its not the most accurate measurement but its all i had. im planning on swapping the head in a few months so was kinda of careless if the head had warped which was my mistake i should have been more accurate in measuring
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be my guess too. No real other way coolant and oil would swap places. The heads on the Ds warp pretty easily if you get close to red on the gauge, and if it was a grey market engine to begin with all the more reason to get the head and deck checked.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help i ordered a new head from a d16y8 as well with the dizzy and head bolts. before i put on the new head i will also get a gasket and have the deck flatness checked. hopefully that solves my problems. also my idle goes up and down over and over did this when i bought the car could the warped head be the cause of that too?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idle issue may be your FICV or IACV
Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you got oil in your coolant most likely that head is gasket blown but like you sad if you are gonna change out the head get a oem gasket you will be glad that you did.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i already changed the HG the problem is that after i let it sit say 5-6 hours it is a pain in the *** to start. heres how it goes every morning, doesnt turn over, then does turn over and suddenly dies, does turn over again idles really rough really low i give it gas it rattles and dies. wait a few sec. try again turns on rough but stays on i give it gas it goes smooth then when its low RMP it gets rough again. this only last shortly. after i drive around the block once it runs perfect. and starts fine. i dont over heat, not loosing coolant or oil, no mixture. however i did just put in a new aluminum radiator. sometimes after i get it starting some white smoke comes out, but doesnt smell like coolant and only does it once or twice stops when it gets to normal temp. im thinking its excess fuel???? im new to cars i already know alot about honda motors and the specs but still an amateur. thats why im on here to learn. sorry if my symptoms are confusing
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its kind of like theres something leaking very slowly into a cylinder that drowns out the spark but when i check my spark plugs they show no signs oil or coolant burnings.